Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

It takes a special person to join Mensa.

For one, the elite society only takes individuals with IQ scores in the 98th percentile, meaning just 1 in 50 Americans is eligible.

Match.com, Mensa create dating site for geniuses - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Well many people with this high of an IQ rating are social awkward and or even possibly have other developmental issues. Often times being a "rocket scientist" or "nerd" are some of the loneliest people on the planet. They also often do not relate to people of normal intelligence. So I say, why not? Only issue I have in reading the article, they are spinning it as an elitist status, when in reality, most women and men of average intelligence do not relate to those with extreme intelligence characteristics.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:43 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
A good way to filter out the less intellectually stimulating, perhaps?

Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM

867 posts, read 908,763 times
I'm a former member of MENSA, I emphasize former. To people who have never gone to a MENSA meeting, it will largely consist of playing games...like board games. So, I didn't encounter any intellectual conversations or even anyone capable of intellectualism. There was only one member who I could have a pretty good conversation with and I privately asked what was wrong with the other members. His response was a good one, "they are intelligent but they are not educated."

Also, I think MENSA must have raised their standards because I remember the cut off point being the top 95%. There were other societies more elite out there that were 98% and even 99% but I can't remember their names off the top of my head.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I'm a former member of MENSA, I emphasize former. To people who have never gone to a MENSA meeting, it will largely consist of playing games...like board games. So, I didn't encounter any intellectual conversations or even anyone capable of intellectualism. There was only one member who I could have a pretty good conversation with and I privately asked what was wrong with the other members. His response was a good one, "they are intelligent but they are not educated."

Also, I think MENSA must have raised their standards because I remember the cut off point being the top 95%. There were other societies more elite out there that were 98% and even 99% but I can't remember their names off the top of my head.
I agree. I was invited to attend a local meeting and was sorely disappointed. They spent the whole time trying to plot the perfect murder, but they never agreed on anything and were very argumentative with each other. Not my idea of fun people.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post

I went to a MENSA meeting when they had an interesting guest speaker. The lecture was great, the company wasn't. I'd never encountered such petty, gossipy, dull people! The atmosphere was pretty depressing; cheap furniture, a "buffet dinner" of Wonder Bread (still in the wrapper!!) and Oscar Mayer lunchmeats (ditto), and card tables with extensions for dining tables.

Many MENSA members have huge self-esteem issues due to childhood bullying for not "fitting in", and other issues. It's mainly a club to give them a reason to feel good about themselves.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Well many people with this high of an IQ rating are social awkward and or even possibly have other developmental issues. Often times being a "rocket scientist" or "nerd" are some of the loneliest people on the planet. They also often do not relate to people of normal intelligence. So I say, why not? Only issue I have in reading the article, they are spinning it as an elitist status, when in reality, most women and men of average intelligence do not relate to those with extreme intelligence characteristics.
That may apply to some, sure. We're talking, what, an IQ over 140. My first husband has a genius level IQ, and was a bit socially distant when we met. Classic nerd/geek. He did lack in the area of street smarts, but that could have been due to a sheltered upbringing as well. We got along fine on the intellectual level, but emotionally, we were quite different.

I've dated others who were also geniuses, but not necessarily socially inept. They were involved either involved in academia or computers. They weren't socially awkward or emotionally distant. But then there are those who are bit socially awkward.

Quote:
Sereg found she does not connect with people who are athletes or sports nuts, for example.
Exactly. Since there are more people that are into things like sports, athletics and what have you, it can be a challenge to find those who are more involved in intellectual pursuits. I'm not a huge sports fan, especially not via TV. Live events? Sure. But I'm no dedicated follower.

When I lived in So Cal the dating market was filled with young military men, and military men in general. The vast majority are not my type. They'd list something like "Sports, fast cars, lifting weights" as their interests. Yeah... so when I saw profiles that listed "books" as an interest it made me chuckle, because reading is just not an "in" thing these days. I even messaged a guy saying something to the effect of: "Oh, you mean Marines can read!?" to be cheeky. There just weren't very many people that are into the things I am into. There were some, but certainly not like I experienced in more metro/progressive areas.

But in Nor Cal? No problem. Lots of similar-minded people there. I don't care to talk about fast cars and sports. That does nada for me. Want to talk about metaphysics -- cosmology, ontology, and technological singularity? I'm there.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
That may apply to some, sure. We're talking, what, an IQ over 140.
The minimum req'ment for MENSA membership is 130.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:19 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
That may apply to some, sure. We're talking, what, an IQ over 140. My first husband has a genius level IQ, and was a bit socially distant when we met. Classic nerd/geek. He did lack in the area of street smarts, but that could have been due to a sheltered upbringing as well. We got along fine on the intellectual level, but emotionally, we were quite different.

I've dated others who were also geniuses, but not necessarily socially inept. They were involved either involved in academia or computers. They weren't socially awkward or emotionally distant. But then there are those who are bit socially awkward.

Exactly. Since there are more people that are into things like sports, athletics and what have you, it can be a challenge to find those who are more involved in intellectual pursuits. I'm not a huge sports fan, especially not via TV. Live events? Sure. But I'm no dedicated follower.

When I lived in So Cal the dating market was filled with young military men, and military men in general. The vast majority are not my type. They'd list something like "Sports, fast cars, lifting weights" as their interests. Yeah... so when I saw profiles that listed "books" as an interest it made me chuckle, because reading is just not an "in" thing these days. I even messaged a guy saying something to the effect of: "Oh, you mean Marines can read!?" to be cheeky. There just weren't very many people that are into the things I am into. There were some, but certainly not like I experienced in more metro/progressive areas.

But in Nor Cal? No problem. Lots of similar-minded people there. I don't care to talk about fast cars and sports. That does nada for me. Want to talk about metaphysics -- cosmology, ontology, and technological singularity? I'm there.

What's funny is that I'm not socially awkward in the least. I'm personable and outgoing, and enjoy being around new people. It's doubly hard here to meet an intelligent man, and especially was difficult when I lived in my former hometown. Still, I think I'll pass on the Match-Mensa site, especially since I couldn't stand Match's normal site. Hehe.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The minimum req'ment for MENSA membership is 130.
Depends on the test. I grandfathered in with my SAT score.

Our gatherings (I only attended them in Las Vegas) weren't terrible, but they were simple, quiet, and mostly made of senior citizens. All interesting people, but the events were very "cheese, wine, classical music, and quiet conversation at someone's hopme" kind of events. Nice the first couple of times, and after that, you weren't really missing much. On rare occasion, they'd set up an outing of some sort, but they happened so infrequently, I stopped paying attention to when they were.

As for a dating site...I'd check it out. More often than not, the particularly intelligent people I know were guilty of letting it define them a little too strongly, but that's a side effect you'll see amongst any relatively unique quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships