Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

OP, did you notice if he was wearing a wedding band? If he wasn't, you might wonder why a 40-something, good-looking, successful guy isn't married. Or maybe he just takes off his ring for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Any sort of licensed professional knows about boundaries and maintaining a professional relationship. That in mind, this story is poorly thought out and bogus. Another one hit wonder.
boundaries boundaries boundaries

Even with no more therapeutic contact he is still crossing the line...

Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The fact that he asked you out, as your therapist, is the first unprofessional act he did. The fact that your in your 20s and in therapy and he in his 40s is the second problem - you are in the weaker position - and he knows it.

Prediction - you will ignore all the warning signs and go out with him. The fact that this act of his does not raise an eyebrow with you tells me you have know idea what you are getting into - but hey have fun!

Prediction number two - you are going to need more therapy.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:23 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Dee Forester View Post
So I've been going to this guy for a few months now and he asked me out yesterday. He did say we would have to end our current relationship as it would be unprofessional and he recommended another therapist. We seem to get along great and I really can tell him anything...as my therapist. Who knows if I would be able to tell him anything as a guy I'm dating. Yes I am attracted to him. He's very good looking. He seems very mature and intelligent. One problem is he is in his 40's and I'm in my 20's. Another is that he knows so much about me and there is no mystery so problem. But he says he really likes me and wants to get to know me on a more personal level.
No. Do not.

I dated a guy whom, we were in a similar situation. We shared very intimate details with one another.

Therapists are in a position of power. You've exposed your most vulnerable parts of yourself to him.

He's unethical for taking advantage of his position of power to date you. He knows it. And, is trying to cover his tracks by saying he needs to get rid of you as a client. There's a LEGAL TIME FRAME FOR THAT. He needs to refer you out at this point and not date you due to the conflict of interest.

It's a ethical/moral imperative that could cost him his license. I believe in some or most states 6 years after termination between therapist and the person being seen is the acceptable time frame for dating.

But, in the psychological/counseling field, dating the person you provided professional mental health service to is a HUGE No NO! (And, think about it, if he's doing this w/you, how many other female individuals he's working with is he doing this to? Let alone, colleague?) This is one huge advantage people working in his position have- power/control over your emotions because as individuals he knows your weak spots, which could easily be manipulable. Stay FAR FAR away from this guy. We warn you.

Last edited by kat949; 06-25-2014 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: More 411!!!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
So I've been going to this guy for a few months now and he asked me out yesterday. He did say we would have to end our current relationship as it would be unprofessional and he recommended another therapist. We seem to get along great and I really can tell him anything...as my therapist. Who knows if I would be able to tell him anything as a guy I'm dating. Yes I am attracted to him. He's very good looking. He seems very mature and intelligent. One problem is he is in his 40's and I'm in my 20's. Another is that he knows so much about me and there is no mystery so problem. But he says he really likes me and wants to get to know me on a more personal level.
Absolutely not!!!
He's abusing his position of power, and you're young and vulnerable.
It's extremely unethical on his part.
Go right ahead if you want to, but you'll have plenty to discuss with your next therapist, and it won't be pretty.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconess View Post
boundaries boundaries boundaries

Even with no more therapeutic contact he is still crossing the line...
I'm a bit skeptical about a Doc risking lawsuit and his career by hitting on patients, especially over some young tail that has mental issues.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 06-25-2014 at 03:13 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 03:23 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
I sure hope this guy loses his license. Sounds like a repeat offender who never got caught.

And, yes people!! These stories exist!

Authority figures in the field even reprimand and embarrass therapists who do this.

They publish these stories in professional magazines and organizations, providing full-name, place of practice, and full disclosure of therapist's license numbers after penalizing them.

No joke!

Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm a bit skeptical about a Doc risking lawsuit and his career by hitting on patients, especially over some young tail that has mental issues.
He may or may not be a doc, not all therapists are docs but that is irrelevant. ..

It may or may not have happened but there are therapists that cross the line, they like easy prey

Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Well, if its real, forget dating him. Sue the hell out of him and live happily ever after $$$ wise.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Yes. Take him up on his offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships