Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times

Advertisements

Question for the other citydata.com members...

Is it possible for 2 long-term opposite sex friends to remain friends after dating each other and realizing that the relationship will not progress to anything serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
If there is a true mutual understanding that it will never turn into anything "serious"... I say sure. It might take some time to regain its footing, but the friendship can endure.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
No.

Awkward.

Imagine reaching in the popcorn bowl.

What?!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Yes. It's perfectly normal.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Of course. And the friendship can eventually fade just as any can. I've remained friends with several exes. I wouldn't have stayed with them if I didn't like them in the first place and, depending on the individual circumstances and the people involved I don't think it's as uncommon as many would think. It's really not something about which you can generalize but, yes, it's possible.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post

Is it possible for 2 long-term opposite sex friends to remain friends after dating each other and realizing that the relationship will not progress to anything serious?
I would seriously hope so. It would suck to lose a friend AND a friend and lover. Ugh!! That smarts...

Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
My husband always said, "I never had a female friend I wasnt interested in sexually." I cant say I really have either, at least not beyond grammar school age.

Life isnt necessarily an episode of Seinfeld. I mean what's the plan? Friends with benefits? Idk, that sounds meaninglessly complicated to me, lol.

Sure, you can remain friendly. Im not sure you can have a meaningful friendly relationship that has any real purpose. Where is the common ground?

Two women or two men can do a lot together that is superficial and would never include physical activity. Im not sure a man and a woman can really pull that off, at least not a mature man and woman.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
My husband always said, "I never had a female friend I wasnt interested in sexually." I cant say I really have either, at least not beyond grammar school age.

Life isnt necessarily an episode of Seinfeld. I mean what's the plan? Friends with benefits? Idk, that sounds meaninglessly complicated to me, lol.

Sure, you can remain friendly. Im not sure you can have a meaningful friendly relationship that has any real purpose. Where is the common ground?

Two women or two men can do a lot together that is superficial and would never include physical activity. Im not sure a man and a woman can really pull that off, at least not a mature man and woman.
Oh...I figure it for doable. Granted it would be a heap easier if there had been no intimate involvement, that can...complicate things. Depending on how well boundaries are established though , with everyone on the same page, I'd at least give it a shot. To much stood to lose.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 PM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post

Of course you can.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh...I figure it for doable. Granted it would be a heap easier if there had been no intimate involvement, that can...complicate things. Depending on how well boundaries are established though , with everyone on the same page, I'd at least give it a shot. To much stood to lose.

I can agree with your reply - not having had a physcial relationship would make such a thing easier, and it could be fun to go ahead and try anyway, but where is the common ground?

You go workout together?

You are both obssessed with fashion and gossiping about people?

You are both obssessed with soap operas and football/basketball/baseball?

Both being foodies might work.

Its not impossible, I dont guess. Just doesnt seem very likely. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships