Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If sex is that important, which is totally dependent on the individual, and his/her spouse denies him sex, he should seriously consider divorce. It seems strange that a divorce can be filed because a spouse is withholding sex, but once you marry you are supposed to do your best to meet your spouses needs to the best of your abilities, and in this situation spouse A has 0 abilities nor wants to fulfill spouse B's desires.
Marriage is more than just sex, even though that is a wonderful aspect of it.

There may be many different reasons why one spouse stops having sexual relations with the other spouse. Previous infidelities, illness, erectile dysfunction, abuse, the other spouse is not meeting their emotional needs, stress, Etc...

The two spouses need marital counseling to get to the bottom of their issues. If they can't do this, they need to at least have an open discussion of their issues and come to an agreement. That might be an open marriage, separation, divorce, more counseling etc...

I have two female friends who stopped relations with their husbands due to infidelity and emotional abuse. I know one male friend who stopped relations because of infidelity too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People in B's position usually cheat with people in a similar position, or with singles who don't mind having a fling or being their go-to booty call.
That may well be true, but often there's some lying going on anyway.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
NO, NEVER. You need to put on your big boy/girl pants and get a divorce... no buts. The only time I see cheating as justified is when one spouse is physically incapacitated due to having cancer/paralyzed/some illness like that.
The problem with "allowing" or excusing cheating under any circumstances is the possibility that the cheating partner falls in love with somebody else and then divorce is usually going to happen anyway. Either way the left beind spouse will have even more pain to deal with. That is what the "in sickness and in health" is all about. Do most folks just think nothing like severe illness or disability will ever happen to them?

Old 06-29-2014, 12:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
When you get married, you can't be selfish with your body anymore. The 2 parties bodies belong to one another.
That is absolute BS. Nobody owns anybody's body and nobody owes sex to their partner. That way of thinking went out with the stone age. If the two aren't compatible physically anymore they need to discuss it and decide how to handle it was a couple. Some divorce...some don't.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,539 times
no. cheating is never okay.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
I disagree as I think the only justification for cheating is coercion/threat meaning one is forced to or threatened to have sex with a person other than their partner.

In my opinion Spouse B can simply leave the marriage so to me this forgiveness and justification is simply a cow and bull way to rationalize their behavior and elude accountability and responsibility.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well I don't think cheating is ever an answer for anything. However, spouse A can't talk about violation of vows when they're denying the other party sex.

When you get married, you can't be selfish with your body anymore. The 2 parties bodies belong to one another.
Yes you can be selfish with your body...though I'm unsure how a person not wanting to have their body used for another person's sexual pleasure is being selfish. I'm really unsure where legally in marriage the 2 parties bodies belong to one another as otherwise the 2 parties bodies belong to one another is opinion.

The idea that a person is being denied sex in my opinion is an odd concept as it suggests to me a person is owed sex.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Cheating only happens when a person doesn't give a damn about their spouse/SO.

If a person only wants their freedom, they shouldn't mind parting ways with half the money.

Ohhhhhh . . . wait . . . does the person with no sex drive hold all of the money cards????? Does the cheater-person want to stick around because he/she really has no funding? HMMMMMMMM

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Spouse A and Spouse B have been married 20 years. They share a home, 2 children, and various investments. Like many people who have been married for an extended period of time, their lives have become financially and socially entwined to the point where legally severing their relationship would cause chaos and pain to them and everyone they care about most.

Spouse A suddenly loses all interest in sex. However, he or she isn't troubled by this. Spouse A is perfectly content to remain celibate (or virtually celibate) for their remainder of his or her life. Spouse A refuses to treat his or her lack of sex drive as a problem, or seek any kind of medical advice.

Spouse B has a high sex drive. Spouse B has no desire to live their remainder of his or her life as a celibate. Spouse B asks Spouse A to seek sexual gratification outside the marriage.

Spouse A flatly refuses. He or she will not consider getting help, nor with he or she allow Spouse B to seek gratification elsewhere, as that would be a violation of their marriage vows.

I think in those circumstances, and in those circumstances only, Spouse B can be forgiven for cheating.

Do you agree?
I'll bite.

No, no excuse for cheating. However, divorce would be justifiable. Once you're divorced screw away.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Also, IMO, if both spouses agree that spouse B could go outside of marriage to fulfill his desires on this one aspect, then I don't believe it's actually cheating. IMO cheating happens when one person doesn't know the other is having sex with another person or is emotionally cheating with another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships