Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 PM

341 posts, read 455,464 times

Advertisements

Do you ever look at body language in photographs? I wonder how much of what you see in a picture reveals something about a couple. Most couples I know pose for pictures with their arms around each other or leaning into each other. But I have these particular friends (who I don't really know all that well) who always look so stiff in pictures together. They rarely stand near each other (often their kids are between them), and when they do stand near each other, I've never seen a picture of them touching that it didn't look strained or awkward. Maybe they just aren't photogenic in that sense(although their FACES look great in pics). Badly timed with the camera shutter or something.

You think this is indicative of a strained relationship? It's just so glaring that it's caught my attention. They DO have arms around their kids and arms around friends.

But then I have a friend who always had her arm around her husband and was smiling and they are now divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 07:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Yes. I have a married friend with kids, and in the once/yr. "family" photo, her husband always looks like some guy they grabbed off the street and inserted into the shot, as a prop. He never looks like he fits in or like he's happy to be there. It's weird. And in fact, he does kind of live a separate life from them. He chose an option at his job that allows him to travel internationally a lot, so he's away from home a lot. It really shows in the photos that he's not a regular part of the family.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 PM

341 posts, read 455,464 times
See? Isn't that weird?? I don't know this couple well enough to know much about their relationship, but it just seems so obvious that something is "off". Even when dh and I are fighting, we always smile and hug for photos. lol. WHich makes me think maybe I'm just reading something into it. But your friend's situation could totally make sense for these people. Kinda wish I knew their back story so I could confirm what I think I"m picking up on from the photos.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissycs View Post
Do you ever look at body language in photographs? I wonder how much of what you see in a picture reveals something about a couple. Most couples I know pose for pictures with their arms around each other or leaning into each other. But I have these particular friends (who I don't really know all that well) who always look so stiff in pictures together. They rarely stand near each other (often their kids are between them), and when they do stand near each other, I've never seen a picture of them touching that it didn't look strained or awkward. Maybe they just aren't photogenic in that sense(although their FACES look great in pics). Badly timed with the camera shutter or something.

You think this is indicative of a strained relationship? It's just so glaring that it's caught my attention. They DO have arms around their kids and arms around friends.

But then I have a friend who always had her arm around her husband and was smiling and they are now divorced.
Yeah I have friends like this, there no body contact, not even with their kids....My family on top of each other lol...We are very close....

Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Pictures are the worse!

Push people together forcefully, making them smile and taking a picture that no one will look at cause it either;

A) Gets lost on some card

B) Never gets developed

C) Gets developed but gets lost in a shoe box

D) Gets developed, put in a photo album never to be seen again.

Lets ban this thing called picture taking!!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Lets ban this thing called picture taking!!

Except for OLD and then they better damn well be within the last couple of months

Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissycs View Post

Body language, especially facial expressions can be quite indicative of a couple's genuine happiness with one another.

Facial expressions are really difficult to mask- even if it's a fake happy smile.

Happy couples in photographs usually have a genuine relaxed smile and gaze in their eyes. Unhappy ones usually have a forceful look. Think political campaign photo-op: their poses are usually trite, composed. They look a bit constipated and uptight.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Meh, I am not a big fan of posed pictures.

Taking pictures of people doing things other than posing will reveal their true feelings and attitudes through capturing genuine expressions.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,507 times
I know whAt you mean. In ours I'm happy, she has a look like "why can't I be someplace cool like the dentist right now".

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This is so funny. I always thought we looked great as a family in our photos, everyone was equally awkward looking in most of them and, occasionally, equally great looking. HAHA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships