Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
And, I really dislike the notion of reducing people down to numbers and statistics. We're human, not lab animals.
You must really hate having a social security number and the national census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Understandable. Makeup helps too. I think women cannot attain 9 or 10 status without it. Even Kim Kardashian (not my bag or my husband's, but she is a renowned hottie) is just a pretty girl without it.
Kim K isn't even pretty without makeup IMO.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
BTW, I found this to be the best explaination of 1-10 for females.

http://www.returnofkings.com/wp-cont...orialscale.jpg
Um, yeah... Some of the 7s, 8s, 9s, I wouldn't classify as such. Heck, even some of the 6s. If this scale is indicative of female attractiveness then there should be none of the "But all the women on dating sites are fat and ugly" rants. A lot of the women I have seen on such sites resemble the girls in the 6-9 category. So, what's the issue?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
The rating thing is, in my experience, only really common among young men, and no other group. I don't usually hear middle aged guys talking about the nine blonde or the eight redhead at the end of the bar.
Older men are just more discreet about it. And they would never "rate" someone else's wife.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
The women in my circle don't find him attractive, and it boggles my mind. Part of this is their inability to disassociate the character from the person, but even then...c'mon.

"He's too skinny" (nemesis)
"He's too big" (dark knight rises)
"He's short"

Those first two make me facepalm so hard when I hear them, considering that he's pretty much smack in the middle from day-to-day.
Christian Bale was pretty skinny in The Machinist, so I guess he's unattractive. Haha. Tom is not too short for my taste.

Do people not understand that actors and actresses put on and lose weight for specific roles?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
thank you for teaching me 'ottermode'.
You probably realize this, for those that don't, "athletic" men according those scales is very rare in real life, and exists primarily in photoshopped interweb pics, just like "10" bikini model women. Most professional athletes will fall into the builtfat (baseball, football,, hockey), strongfat (football), or ottermode (basketball, soccer) categories depending upon sport.
There are SO many people that are misinformed on that topic, I just came in to agree with your post. The photo listed as "athletic" is probably the worst one, having more in common with "model" than "athlete". The "builtfat" build is best for most sports (especially contact sports), sans the exceptions listed above (I'd throw MMA in there as well). If I were the proverbial "captain" of some sports team looking to pick members, unless it were basketball, soccer, mma, or maybe a couple others...I'd take a team of "builtfats" every time.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times
The rating system doesn't really work for me. I have a standard, and once that's met, I don't consider attractiveness as a factor. It sounds shallow to some, but as far as a woman's looks go, I don't really care as long as she's athletic and not hideous in the face. Once she meets that standard, I will weigh in all the other factors such as compatibility, intelligence and personality. There has been a very wide gap in the attractiveness of my partners from one LTR to the next, but they're always in good shape. I tend to believe that someones physical appearance in regards to how fit they are says a lot about they're personality, especially now that I'm in my late 30's.

I've always felt that I'm justified in refusing to date a woman that's not fit because I'm very fit. It's more a compatibility thing than a looks thing, as I like being with someone that is very health conscious and fitness oriented. I've only dated one woman long term that was not on the slender side. She was not what I would describe as fat, but she was far from being thin. She had a little on her mid section, and was definitely pear shaped. I never really had a problem with here looks, but her exercising and eating habits drove me nuts. She would never go biking, kayaking, or to the gym with me. I founder her to be physically attractive as she was really pretty in the face, and she had that large athletic shaped bottom that a lot of men actually like. My problem was that I found her to be lazy, and despite the fact that she actually looked pretty good with her close off at 25, I knew it wouldn't last much longer. Here we are ten years later and friends on FB. My prediction was 100% correct as she is very overweight now, and she's married to an overweight man. It would never have worked because of her personality, which directly affects her physical appearance.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
thank you for teaching me 'ottermode'.
You probably realize this, for those that don't, "athletic" men according those scales is very rare in real life, and exists primarily in photoshopped interweb pics, just like "10" bikini model women. Most professional athletes will fall into the builtfat (baseball, football,, hockey), strongfat (football), or ottermode (basketball, soccer) categories depending upon sport.
I agree, and I find that look unattractive. Give me ottermode .

Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Christian Bale was pretty skinny in The Machinist, so I guess he's unattractive. Haha. Tom is not too short for my taste.

Do people not understand that actors and actresses put on and lose weight for specific roles?
It's doubly egregious when it's a personality quality that's called into question based on the character. I think the same thing..."You know that if they're any good at their job (ACTING!) that the character's personality doesn't necessarily fall in line with the actor's?"

Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
that large athletic shaped bottom
Mmmm... sounds tasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships