Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 AM

708 posts, read 823,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I agree, with Mr. Chow. Most single childless guys have absolutely no clue how to handle a single mom with a kid/s.

Or maybe they just aren't interested...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM

943 posts, read 1,004,373 times
After the seperation and end of my last marriage I was so angry and devastated I wanted to get out and date to prove something. It must have been to prove that I was a desireable partner, etc. etc.
It was a good thing I lived in a rural area, and with my two very young kids (4 and 6 at the time) I didn't have time or access to dating.
The first two years were hard, I constantly thought about the dissapointment, and my interpretation of what he had done, and what turmoil it caused us, and how I missed a lot of the things about intimacy and relationships.
But, at the end of two years I started dating a guy who turned out to be a total psycho. Weeks after ending the relationship I was standing in my driveway so he couldn't pull in shouting at him to go away and not come back and threatening to call the police. I had to do that because he was still coming by my place uninvited and trying to threaten me back into something.
I wouldn't want to see anyone else have to go through something that crazy.
And when you open your doors and your heart to other people there is that potential. Wouldn't you rather be coming from a place of being strong in yourself so you don't end up attracting someone like that? Someone who is preying on the vulnerability and sadness of a single mom.
And beleive me, my kids haven't forgotten this guy either. Whoever you let into your life, you are letting into theirs too.
Better to make sure by taking a very long time to get emotionally invulnerable and provide all the love and attention your kids need from you for a while.
Its been a long time for me, but I can say I haven't had to put my kids through the hell of losing another dad, or myself.
I don't feel needy anymore, and I'm not vulnerable at all.
I'm so used to taking care of us that I don't even think about it much.
You may think from your perspective that this sounds depressing, I think if I looked at my situation 7 years ago, I would have been depressed. But thats life, you make sacrifices and you delay gratification for the greater good of the whole.
For the benefit of your kids emotional health and your emotional health in the long run.
When you're single you don't have someone elses crap to deal with, and you get to make the choices that YOU think are important without someone around to push you into what they want, or what they see you as being or not being. You get to be yourself.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Maybe fate is trying to tell you to stop chasing guys and focus on raising your young children for now.
The most sensible course of action in my opinion. There will be plenty of time for men, get the kids a bit older first.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
After the seperation and end of my last marriage I was so angry and devastated I wanted to get out and date to prove something. It must have been to prove that I was a desireable partner, etc. etc.
It was a good thing I lived in a rural area, and with my two very young kids (4 and 6 at the time) I didn't have time or access to dating.
The first two years were hard, I constantly thought about the dissapointment, and my interpretation of what he had done, and what turmoil it caused us, and how I missed a lot of the things about intimacy and relationships.
But, at the end of two years I started dating a guy who turned out to be a total psycho. Weeks after ending the relationship I was standing in my driveway so he couldn't pull in shouting at him to go away and not come back and threatening to call the police. I had to do that because he was still coming by my place uninvited and trying to threaten me back into something.
I wouldn't want to see anyone else have to go through something that crazy.
And when you open your doors and your heart to other people there is that potential. Wouldn't you rather be coming from a place of being strong in yourself so you don't end up attracting someone like that? Someone who is preying on the vulnerability and sadness of a single mom.
And beleive me, my kids haven't forgotten this guy either. Whoever you let into your life, you are letting into theirs too.
Better to make sure by taking a very long time to get emotionally invulnerable and provide all the love and attention your kids need from you for a while.
Its been a long time for me, but I can say I haven't had to put my kids through the hell of losing another dad, or myself.
I don't feel needy anymore, and I'm not vulnerable at all.
I'm so used to taking care of us that I don't even think about it much.
You may think from your perspective that this sounds depressing, I think if I looked at my situation 7 years ago, I would have been depressed. But thats life, you make sacrifices and you delay gratification for the greater good of the whole.
For the benefit of your kids emotional health and your emotional health in the long run.
When you're single you don't have someone elses crap to deal with, and you get to make the choices that YOU think are important without someone around to push you into what they want, or what they see you as being or not being. You get to be yourself.
There is a lot of wisdom, hard learned obviously, in this post. I hope it helps her!

So sorry for what you went through, but so proud of you for all you have learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships