Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Well I'm younger and I find STIs to be, well, a huge deal, and I don't understand why some people don't take the proper precautions.

I'd still never want gonorrhea, no matter how easy it is to cure nowadays.

VanillaChocolate: Syphilis used to be a huge deal. Now all you need is penicillin. Back in the day, though, you could go insane if it was left in your system for too long. See Al Capone and the Tuskegee Syphilis Trial. You could also get locomotor ataxia when syphilis traveled to your central nervous system - meaning you had a really weird walk. People who had it looked like they were walking on a bouncy mattress. Very nervous and tentative steps, and they felt off-balance.

You can also get syphilis in your heart. They call it syphilitic aortitis. And syphilis can manifest physically and make you deformed.

This is all rare now that people know what cures it. Tertiary syphilis takes years to develop. It is not common anymore here in the US that people get to that stage. Back in the '30s, it happened a lot.

(I know a lot about syphilis not because I have it but because I did a huge report on it in high school, lol.)

timberline, the HPV vaccine is available and a lot of us do have it, but Gardasil is expensive, so not everyone does.
That's really the thing. Gonorrhea is easy to prevent via condoms. If you're going to NOT use a condom, please do not freak out when your decision has an otherwise entirely preventable consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Quote:
Well I'm younger and I find STIs to be, well, a huge deal, and I don't understand why some people don't take the proper precautions.

VanillaChocolate: Syphilis used to be a huge deal. Now all you need is penicillin. Back in the day, though, you could go insane if it was left in your system for too long. See Al Capone and the Tuskegee Syphilis Trial. You could also get locomotor ataxia when syphilis traveled to your central nervous system - meaning you had a really weird walk. People who had it looked like they were walking on a bouncy mattress. Very nervous and tentative steps, and they felt off-balance.

You can also get syphilis in your heart. They call it syphilitic aortitis. And syphilis can manifest physically and make you deformed.

This is all rare now that people know what cures it. Tertiary syphilis takes years to develop. It is not common anymore here in the US that people get to that stage. Back in the '30s, it happened a lot.

(I know a lot about syphilis not because I have it but because I did a huge report on it in high school, lol.)

timberline, the HPV vaccine is available and a lot of us do have it, but Gardasil is expensive, so not everyone does.
Nice to know. We had sex ed talks in school. But they never went into huge detail. And being a small rural area HS, some of the info may have been wrong lol I have heard a few wrong things. Or things that weren't the whole truth, or too much detail.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

377 posts, read 532,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
they way some of these people carry on about the importance of 'multiple partners' you would think it's not a big deal at all
you have it backwards.....it's NOT an importance,and it's NOT a big deal to have multiple partners who are consenting.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

OK, sufficiently scared, now! Ackkk! And we don't know how long penicillin will still be effective, what with antibiotics being overused and losing their effectiveness, these days.

The HPV vaccine only deals with a few of the many strains of HPV. It's not like you get the vaccine, and have nothing to worry about anymore, HPV-wise.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Does the local Health Department still do contact visits when a new case of gonorrhea or syphilis is reported?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
"sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know."
It sounds to me like this isn't the first call he's had about it.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM

374 posts, read 393,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Right?? Thing is, this dude is like 37. I don't get his nonchalant attitude at all.
Not making excuses for him, but i wonder if he's embarrassed and brushed it off?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:40 PM

52 posts, read 45,206 times
How well did she know this guy?

I usually wait around 3 months, get to know the person, find out past relationship history, ask when the last time they had sex was (was it committed relationship, etc), and for STD test results, and still use condoms. Now that doesn't guarantee anything but it does help reduce the risk. Of course there is the risk of the person misrepresenting themselves.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
Not making excuses for him, but i wonder if he's embarrassed and brushed it off?
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
As antibiotic resistance goes, seeing as we are nearing the end of the 'Age of Antibiotics', I hope people will start paying closer attention to safe sex.

Multi-drug resistant gonorrhea already is a pain in the butt to treat, there's a strain of basically incurable gonorrhea out there, multi-drug resistant syphilis and more. People wind up with strains that they spend months trying to treat with a varied assortment of oral and injectable antibiotics.

Quote:

Gonorrhea has taken many forms over the last few decades. The strain that people acquire today isn't the same one that previous generations had to deal with. In fact, it might not be the same strain that infected people a little over 10 years ago. That's because gonorrhea, a sexually transmitted disease (STD), has become resistant to most of the antibiotics that we have used to combat it over the last three decades.

TODAY'S GONORRHEA PATIENT HAS FEW OPTIONS LEFT

That's right: penicillin and various tetracyclines have all stopped working against the most prevalent strains. This means that today's gonorrhea patient has very few treatment options left. And with symptoms like burning, swelling of the testicles, vaginal discharge and anal itching, it's not exactly something that you want to leave untreated. Unfortunately, the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) thinks that emerging resistant strains will one day take the last remaining first-line treatment option away — a treatment that currently consists of a cephalosporin injection combined with an oral dose of either azithromycin or doxycycline. The government agency outlined how that scenario could unfold in a study released today.

By analyzing long-term surveillance data for 17 US cities between 1991 and 2006, researchers were able to trace how gonorrhea became resistant to ciprofloxacin, an antibiotic that lost its CDC recommendation in 2007 because studies demonstrated that 13.8 percent of patient samples were resistant to the drug.

The study's results are alarming, but not altogether surprising. The researchers found that increased resistance leads to an increase in gonorrhea cases. That's because being infected with a resistant strain lengthens the amount of time it takes to treat it, giving the infected party more time to pass it on to others.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/12/55...sible-to-treat

People who aren't being smart about their sexual partners, who aren't using protection, need to wake the heck up and understand that the days of "hey, just give me a pill doc" are just about over and its time for them to take more responsibility for their actions, practice safe sex and be aware of exactly who they are taking to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships