Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How could you have learned anything about women from your uncle? He never even approached one! He is not a good example for lifetime singles. What would he know about treating a woman with respect, no respect, or treating them any way at all.

I know many never married people. They are happy. I'm talking about people that made a choice to remain single, not the ones that wish they were married.

The people that get divorced several times are the ones that come off as bitter to me.
On C-D, the most bitter about relationships are those that have never been in one, but read about them online, or take other people's lack of success as their own future lack of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM

708 posts, read 823,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I tried it for 34 years and no it's not possible at all. If you never have nobody you always feel like a freak that nobody wants. you can't be happy just coming home alone to the quietness and yourself.

I believe all of what you just described is what society projects onto others, if you buy into that projection then you may begin to feel inadequete.

I completely disagree with what you just said because it sounds like you are seeking fullfillment and self worth externally. I think all of those can be sought within, you won't feel alone if you appreciate your own company and understand that happiness comes from within in addition to your thought processes and understanding of self on a deeper level.

You say you can't be happy just coming home alone to the quietness and yourself, I say you can be perfectly happy coming home alone to solitude where you are completely free to be yourself and to meditate in peacefullness. I bet if you lived in a society that wasn't bias towards companionship and didn't ostracize those who prefered solitutude or who didn't have a partner, you wouldn't be thinking that way.

I wonder what makes anyone think they could be happy with another if they aren't happy by themselves. I think this is part of why relationships eventually break down.

I highly recommend you do a bit of reading about the inner self and channeling your inner self.

Last edited by QuestOfTruth; 07-04-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 09:04 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartos View Post
The loneliest people I know are all married.
Sounds like they married the wrong person.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
For me, from understanding how my nature is seriously influenced by my sign....
I get a deeper perspective of what drives me.
I love being in a LTR.
I believe in fate, destiny & serendipity.....
I think that's a reason I don't & won't do online dating.
That being said, I don't think I'm cut out to be single for the rest of my life.
I love having the same partner; getting to know someone at a deeper level....
& having that intimacy that only comes with being w/ someone for an extended time...
And, as a Libra, lol everything I have read says it's just my nature to be in a relationship.
So be it, lol
Easier said than done

The Libra Woman
Because she is usually so attractive and charming, it is sometimes difficult for men to appreciate the talents and intellect of the typical Libra woman. In many ways she is the most feminine of the zodiacal types. It has been said that although she thinks like a man, she reasons like a woman. These women have a natural ability to make relationships work. Though self-sufficient, they are not happy alone and usually have a partner in their lives

The Libra Lover
Libra men and women are the most romantic among the zodiacal types. Venus-ruled, they have an idealistic view of love and togetherness. Once these people fall in love, they start thinking of marriage. Libras don't enjoy romantic suffering. Whenever they are disappointed in a relationship, a Libra man or woman will spend a little time grieving and then move to another partnership.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:27 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I tried it for 34 years and no it's not possible at all. If you never have nobody you always feel like a freak that nobody wants. you can't be happy just coming home alone to the quietness and yourself.
Very true, and this merits elaboration. Too often we think of relationships either as idyllic partnerships or as intense sexual diversions. They are neither, at least as age overtakes us. A spouse is first and foremost a friend and roommate. A spouse is a resource with whom to spend our evenings and weekends, outside of the hustle of work. While it is certainly possible to live a fulfilling life in solitude, it is intensely difficult, and would assail the most stalwart character.

There are many definitions of "single". One is "never formally married", or at least not married at the present time. Another is "not connected in committed lifelong relationship". A third might be "seeing somebody occasionally, but without intertwined lives". And a fourth could be "utterly alone". As we progress along this spectrum of definitions, there are more negative ramifications with being single. The person who does not marry, but who intertwines his/her life with that of a partner, might be faring quite well; and by some opinions, does better than the one who marries. But the person at the oppose end of the spectrum of single-hood is in dire circumstances indeed.

Our needs evolve with age. To the folks who are 22, who are burned-out and jaded from failed high-school or college relationships, there's ample reason to disavow dating for a while, to embark on the prototypical journey of solitary self-discovery. Fast-forward 20 or 30 needs, and the calculations of pros/cons changes substantially.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:50 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
I believe all of what you just described is what society projects onto others, if you buy into that projection then you may begin to feel inadequete.

I completely disagree with what you just said because it sounds like you are seeking fullfillment and self worth externally. I think all of those can be sought within, you won't feel alone if you appreciate your own company and understand that happiness comes from within in addition to your thought processes and understanding of self on a deeper level.

You say you can't be happy just coming home alone to the quietness and yourself, I say you can be perfectly happy coming home alone to solitude where you are completely free to be yourself and to meditate in peacefullness. I bet if you lived in a society that wasn't bias towards companionship and didn't ostracize those who prefered solitutude or who didn't have a partner, you wouldn't be thinking that way.

I wonder what makes anyone think they could be happy with another if they aren't happy by themselves. I think this is part of why relationships eventually break down.

I highly recommend you do a bit of reading about the inner self and channeling your inner self.
Yes!!!!!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Yes there are some people out there that can be content being single their whole lives. As they say happiness comes from within. Why should this be any different?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 AM

479 posts, read 431,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Of course.

Not everyone feels the need to have someone by their side. I would like to be one of those people who don't care. I don't want to feel like I am missing out on something. I don't mind being single, I think it's fine. I just don't want to miss out, but I don't want to be constantly thinking about romance. If it comes it comes if not, oh well. My friends keep trying to give me advice on how to approach my first relationship, but I don't really listen to them, everyone experiences life differently.
I "get" the feeling of missing out. I look at it like this: It's not always that I'm missing out on something. It's more like someone is missing out on me.

Last edited by leftcoastie; 07-04-2014 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I had an uncle who recently passed away from cancer. He was 70. On his death bed, he told me had many regrets. One of the biggest regrets he had was that he never approached a woman in his life and never dated. He claimed he pretended to be happy being a bachelor. He told me it was a lie and that he was extremely unhappy. His last words to me were to treat women with respect. He passed away the next day. My uncle's words have made not just appreciate my girlfriend, but women as a whole. Can a person truly be happy single for the rest of their lives?

Well I would best say it depends on one's mental strength, However there is a point to it in my view a person can truly stay single forever if that person is motivated, driven and has a really strong reason for being single then yes such a person can happily stay single forever.

It is very much possible. I am also like that.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 AM

257 posts, read 713,317 times
Happy being single? Sure, because being single doesn't necessarily mean being alone. Now, change that question to specify being alone, and I think you'll find far fewer positive answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships