Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,769,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Catfishing = Trying to con someone online. Like with a misleading OLD profile.

I've never done it, but I did have one guy I met via OLD who gave me a completely different story in person from what his profile had said... I called him on it, he stayed silent, and that was it for the coffee date. Weird.
Yes it seems many guys do this to me as well.

I think they seriously think we don't look them up.

Now in my 20's some dude had online his brother's pic and when I met him he was a chubby redhead. (Which wasn't the problem, it was the fact he lied entirely).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 PM

818 posts, read 915,059 times
I would never do it and to make sure it wasn't happening to me I would press for the first face to face meeting pretty quick when I was OLDating
I've also done background checks as well and recommend them for anyone.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:49 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,272,697 times
I was able to get a guitar signed by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for Pawnee's Unity Concert.

Long story short... I'm currently Catfishing Anthony Kiedis.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,978,306 times
Goosed and porked, but never catfished.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I would never do it and to make sure it wasn't happening to me I would press for the first face to face meeting pretty quick when I was OLDating
I've also done background checks as well and recommend them for anyone.
I agree.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,116,175 times
Not worth the hassle.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM

285 posts, read 532,881 times
Not technically, but back in high school, a friend and I made a fake myspace account of a hot older girl to see if her boyfriend was hitting on other girls behind her back. He was, lol. She saved the messages, deleted the account, and confronted/broke up with him.

Luckily I'm attractive enough that I don't have to catfish anyone (is that even why they do it??), but I have been catfished on dating sites a couple of times. Each time I had a suspicious feeling and ended up finding out, but it was disappointing and made me feel unsafe.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,718,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I'm just curious with many of you being anonymous if any of you ever catfish someone?

I'm very upfront with what I look like with anyone I meet online.

What was the outcome?
I think people who catfish others are either outright sadists that like hurting others, or they are so ugly that they know they'll never actually meet anyone.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I think people who catfish others are either outright sadists that like hurting others, or they are so ugly that they know they'll never actually meet anyone.
Yes I think many are insecure or have mental issues.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:21 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,454,751 times
Back in the 90s way before the term "catfish" was coined by Nev and when the Internet was just starting out, I had several online relationships that were based on deceit. I was a loner in high school and college, and it was great to have girls to talk to and get female attention online that I couldn't attract in real life even if that attention was under false pretenses. I would lie about my looks and my interests and would make myself seem better than I really was. I would be honest about my thoughts and feelings though. I would justify this behavior by thinking that I was revealing the parts of me that actually mattered. In real life, I couldn't get a fair shake with girls because of my hideous looks, but on the Internet the playing field was leveled and only personality counted, so I could exude confidence and talk to any girl. Of course, in hindsight, it was so wrong to lie to another person, and I was a scumbag.

I would initially talk to girls in chat rooms and then we would talk everyday for months. I developed deep emotional connections with some of them, but these "relationships" would inevitably end when they would talk about meeting up. This obviously was before social media like MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and sending pictures wasn't typically done at that time either. So there wasn't pressure to produce a pic. And webcams weren't common yet. For all I know the girls I talked to could've been lying to me as well. I feel terrible about it now, and I wish I would've never done it. I'm sure I hurt their feelings, and I very much hate myself for that.

Obviously if you "catfish" someone, you hate yourself or else you'd be pleased to present the real you. I had such low self-esteem at that time, so it felt good to be someone else online and escape my reality. I still have low self-esteem today, but I'd never drag another person into my self-loathing. It's just not right. I'd rather be alone and honest than do that again.

Last edited by maniac77; 07-04-2014 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships