Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:02 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times

Advertisements

I am really struggling to make sense of what just went wrong in my life. My significant other (of 6 years) and father of my youngest child left me. Last week we discussed getting married, and we had been looking for a bigger house on more land and he was still loving and sending me erotic texts and what not. He even had the same marriage conversation with a friend of his, so I know I did not dream it up.

I went to visit an elderly family member for two nights and sprung it on me, the evening I got home.

Since then he has told me he cares for me, but he is not in love with me. He has planned it awhile and saved his tip money to rent an apartment. He told my brother we fight all the time, which is not the case. He works 80+ hour weeks at work. He was not home to fight.

He swears it is not another woman. He was crying when he left.

He stopped in yesterday to see the kids and pick up some things. Certain things, choked him up when he touched them. He took most of the alcohol we had in the house.

I have asked several times if he is sure this is what he wants and he nods his head or changes the subject.

What the heck happened? I thought we were doing great. I was completely happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 AM

40 posts, read 63,115 times
I'm so sorry. I have no idea what could have gone through his mind, but you'll get through this. **HUGS**

Old 07-05-2014, 02:54 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I'm sorry this happening to you. There's a good possibility another woman is involved.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:25 AM

377 posts, read 533,261 times
There are two causes that I see, where you have a perfectly content person, and one who seems to be totally the opposite, saying you fight all of the time, and things are bad.

The first is that another woman is around, and his crying is caused by his guilty feelings. He works a lot of hours, 80 hours really? It would be easy to get some strange without being detected.

The other would be that your shock of his displeasure is because you are an overbearing woman. Maybe passive aggressive in nature, where you don't raise your voice, but instead say things that are hurtful to him. Because you don't raise your voice, you don't feel the words you say, should hurt. He may be more passive, choosing to let it go, and not engage in an argument. The problem with that, is he is tossing the problems into his emotional backpack, and eventually the backpack gets too heavy, so he decides that flight is necessary for his own happiness. I just don't see it any other way, if what you say is true. That his version is that you fight and have a bad relationship...your view is that ts a trouble free and wonderful thing.

Perhaps he worked all that overtime to earn money to move out, as well as stay away from something that makes him unhappy. Lack of communication is to blame in this instance.

Just be happy it happened before getting married. I mean would you want to get married to someone who can't sack up and tell you his problem with you, or a cheater?

Old 07-05-2014, 04:48 AM

He said I was overbearing.

No I would rather not be married to someone that is not fully committed. My head gets it,I just need to get my heart to catch up.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
He said I was overbearing.

No I would rather not be married to someone that is not fully committed. My head gets it,I just need to get my heart to catch up.
Something in your life is pushing people away.

This is a second father to your kid. You say you have other kids by someone else?

Sounds like this guy has a big heart and loved the kids but just couldn't get past 'something about you.

On the flip side 80 hours a week working never helps relationships.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 AM

678 posts, read 1,065,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
He stopped in yesterday to see the kids and pick up some things. Certain things, choked him up when he touched them. He took most of the alcohol we had in the house.
That's the issue, it sounds like maybe he can't deal with certain things so he self-medicates with alcohol. Nobody who feels secure in a relationship saves money for a life on their own and waits until their partner leaves on vacation (or a short visit) to break up with them. Sounds like the relationship was just fine but he's creating issues for himself. Maybe he does love you but sabotages his happiness.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,788 times
There is a book called "Runaway Husbands" that you might be able to relate to. The discussion is how the relationship is normal by all appearances and everything is fine.. right up until it is not, and the "offending" spouse / partner is left wondering what the heck just happened.

I won't dive into the similarities I see with your situation, but I do highly recommend you read it.

And, hun, please don't blame yourself. He told you that you were "overbearing" because it was the first item he could come up with to convince himself that he was unhappy. My marriage also ended abruptly, and after the fact, I was accused of everything from emotional to physical abuse - and none of it was true. Yes, you have a part of whatever has happened between you two, but you're only 50% of the equation. He is the other 50%.

People that have not experienced this type of relationship end simply do not understand your situation... Most relationships that end had months of a downward spiral and everyone could see the writing on the wall. You case, like mine, was not that at all. You were blindsided by a decision he had been preparing for while fooling you into believing that life was grand.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Something in your life is pushing people away.

This is a second father to your kid. You say you have other kids by someone else?

Sounds like this guy has a big heart and loved the kids but just couldn't get past 'something about you.

On the flip side 80 hours a week working never helps relationships.
I do have a child by someone else, but he was never involved in our child's life.

I don't know what the issue was, but I am looking at myself for whatever improvement I need to make for my future relationships.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
That's the issue, it sounds like maybe he can't deal with certain things so he self-medicates with alcohol. Nobody who feels secure in a relationship saves money for a life on their own and waits until their partner leaves on vacation (or a short visit) to break up with them. Sounds like the relationship was just fine but he's creating issues for himself. Maybe he does love you but sabotages his happiness.
He has lots of family baggage from his childhood. I think this might be close to what it going on, but regardless, I want a man that sticks by me, not always looking for an excuse to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships