Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:53 PM

44 posts, read 39,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
So is your question how common it is to have suspicions that someone slept their way to the top? Care to clarify?
Are you dense? Do these type of thing occur in the workplace?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
The grumble is very common. some men can't get their brain around the fact that a woman was more qualified than they were for that particular job opening.

The actual sex exchanged for privileges is rare, but it is pretty common for men to try to talk women into sex in exchange for empty promisies about promotions, or roles in movies, or whatever they can pretend to have some power over.

It's also not unheard of for men to hint that they are sleeping with an attractive co=worker when that isn't true.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

It's also not unheard of for men to hint that they are sleeping with an attractive co=worker when that isn't true.
Anytime I've heard about co-workers actually having an affair, it involves the weirdest combination of individuals imaginable.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganNYC View Post
My boss was grumbling about how this partner at the firm screwed her way to the top. Is this common?
I think that's common in Hollywood, where both men and women often screw their way to the top billed movies.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,973 times
I was just talking about this with a few of my friends today who work together under the same business, just different facilities.

Yes, this definitely happens. I've watched it happen at past jobs too, with women getting "promoted" or earn "special privileges" because the manager on day shift every day was a guy, and they would both go to the men's bathroom together. Yeah, she couldn't do jack **** for work but she was paid higher than most other people doing the same job as she was because she was polishing that guy's knob.

It was reported many times over and no action took place to stop it. Won't say the name of the company, but I'm willing to bet that anyone here who shops online has probably bought something from them.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
I knew a woman who did this. She was a sexual marvel. The interesting thing about it was that she was not as "technically" competent as she thought she was, but she was great with customers, and her wise boss put in her a position where her main activity was to be available to have sex with him and others if she felt like it. (No comment). Of course, it did come with a pay increase. I think she likes the job because she still has it and has run through quite a number of bosses; has never been fired; is well compensated, and loves her job (...when i last talked with her a few years ago). She's a vice president in a marketing department of a large technology company.

Wise bosses.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganNYC View Post
My boss was grumbling about how this partner at the firm screwed her way to the top. Is this common?
does it happen? yes it does. does it happen often? not really. anyone that uses sex to get ahead still has to be good at the jobs they are screwing to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Using sex to get promotions or exponential increase in salary is quite common in the workplace. And its just not women who do it but men as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Seriously get back into my office, leapfrog isn't over.
hey both of you to MY office, we are going to "talk" about these shenanigans going on. and its going to be a LONG meeting.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:58 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,065,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Using sex to get promotions or exponential increase in salary is quite common in the workplace. And its just not women who do it but men as well.
I like your point about men do it too. However, I think sex is so cheap these days that really who needs to do much to get it. Meaning , why promote someone when you can go to a bar any night of the week and find someone to have sex with that you don't have to deal with in the future. I don't think screwing your way to the top happens much any more, just my guess.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:24 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think it's about as real as affirmative action hires being unqualified. That is, it rarely happens IRL and is mostly a lie that privileged folks tell themselves.
this

Old 07-05-2014, 06:31 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,328 times
People in the office probably hook up a lot more than one would think, but I'd say it's kind of rare for a woman to "screw her way to the top".

One woman I know tried to do this and it really backfired on her when the guy got fired for something else, and aired out their dirty laundry to HR. He was trying to bring her down on his way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships