Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times

Advertisements

What do you do? how do you talk about it? Do you change the subject?

Someone who I see at a weekly event I go to, has invited my "team" to come hang out at the bar next door and have a beer. Well, she asked me to tell my team... My team doesnt do the bar thing anyways so I woulda went alone.

I know it sounds like Im taking leaps and bounds here but this event has been going on for a while and Ive noticed her a lot. Im skipping a lot of details.... Shes noticed me a lot. I feel like shes attracted to me and Im attracted to her.

I ended up not going to meet up with her at the bar, because I had a girlfriend...and plus I had work at 6am and didnt even want to think about having a drink.

Well, now I dont have a girlfriend, and Id like to have a friendly conversation with her and maybe get a little more out of it.

If we converse, Im going to have to tell her I recently had a breakup.

What do I do if she asks for details like "what happened" ?

What should I avoid saying? i.e., "She was crazy"?

Thanks guys and gals!

Looking for advice from the gals though lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Just say it didn't work out.

Don't place blame. Don't make fun of your ex. Don't accuse her of being crazy. If this girl is worth anything, she'll see right through all of that and think you are a jerk. She'll wonder what you'll say about her if it doesn't work out between the two of you.

Tell her but keep it vague.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Just say it didn't work out.

Don't place blame. Don't make fun of your ex. Don't accuse her of being crazy. If this girl is worth anything, she'll see right through all of that and think you are a jerk. She'll wonder what you'll say about her if it doesn't work out between the two of you.

Tell her but keep it vague.
This. Not only should you leave the past in the past, but so should she.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM

288 posts, read 255,578 times
Plain and simple, it just didn't work out between us. Don't place blame, once you start saying the girl is " crazy" I might think it might not be her, but you.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 PM

48 posts, read 50,338 times
Agreed. If you start pulling out all of the dirty laundry right away, calling the girl the b word, or disparaging her in any way it's a big turn off and says a lot about who you are as a person. It also shows how much you really respect women if you talk crap about them that way.

I agree with the posters here. Keep it simple, it didn't work out, we weren't meant for each other, didn't share the same values, etc. is all good.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Ok thats what I figured would be the right thing to do. I also thought this might be helpful to anyone else.

Is it a turnoff to hear a guy just got out of a relationship? Im not looking for pity or trying to use it as a tool on her. Would it scare her away?

Or is it really dependent on how im carrying myself out with her?

Thanks again everyone

Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 PM

288 posts, read 255,578 times
It's not, but I'd take it slow , if you like the girl . I never bring my exs up, because it's a cluster, and we are most ( changed phone no.) are friends. If a guy brings it up why I'm not with him my response, we wanted different things and it didn't work out.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 AM

48 posts, read 50,338 times
Mentioning you just got of a relationship might scare her away because she may think that you aren't ready for a new relationship yet- are you?

I would certainly tell her if she asks though, be truthful and honest. I agree with KCH84- definitely take it slow

Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I would not go out of your way to bring it up initially. Just say things did not work out, and leave it at that. You do not need to give her a long story. Its none of her business. If she is overly prying or judgemental, then it is likely a sign she is not for you anyway.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Default When the conversation brings up the Ex...

Is this during sex??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships