Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times

Advertisements

Its far more common for a guy to have a high sexual partner # than a girl with a high sexual partner #.
Basic maths tells you that doesn't add up.

The numbers between the genders can't be that different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
They aren't. In reality.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
The numbers don't have to be even. It's not like every man or women is having sex with a new partner who hasn't had sex with anyone else.

To show how women can have a lower number of average sex partners... Let's assume we have 20 women and 20 men. Of the women 5 have with every man who asks/will and the other 15 have only had sex with 1 man. Their numbers of that 5 will be high, but the other 15 is only 1. Now, the men having sex with those women... let's say you have 20 men and 15 will have with any woman who asks/will, and 5 only have sex with 1 woman.

Of the women:

So 25% of women sleep with 15 men who are willing to have sex with anyone
75 % of women sleep with just 1 man
Average number of sexual partners for the women: 3

Of the men:

75% sleep with the 5 women who are willing to have sex with anyone
25% have sex with just 1 woman
Average number of sexual partners: 4

So the mens average number is higher because more men in my example are willing to have casual sex and less women are.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
The numbers don't have to be even. It's not like every man or women is having sex with a new partner who hasn't had sex with anyone else.

To show how women can have a lower number of average sex partners... Let's assume we have 20 women and 20 men. Of the women 5 have with every man who asks/will and the other 15 have only had sex with 1 man. Their numbers of that 5 will be high, but the other 15 is only 1. Now, the men having sex with those women... let's say you have 20 men and 15 will have with any woman who asks/will, and 5 only have sex with 1 woman.

Of the women:

Of the men:

So the mens average number is higher because more men in my example are willing to have casual sex and less women are.
I just love people who critically think and are statistically inclined....you get to the true of the matter.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Quote:

Of the women:

Of the men:

I agree largely. But your example proves my point. There isn't much of a difference between the genders.
And a lot of truth to the notion that men inflate their actual # and women deflate their actual #.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
I see a light bulb over your head.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:

Of the women:

Of the men:

I love this very informative post

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
5? Really?

I know for a fact most of the men and women in my family have been with more people over a lifetime then that.

Does it really matter?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I agree largely. But your example proves my point. There isn't much of a difference between the genders.
And a lot of truth to the notion that men inflate their actual # and women deflate their actual #.
Well, my numbers are just illustrating an example (made up if you will to show how with equal numbers of men and women, one sex can have more sexual partners). To get the averages higher, it would mean a handful of women sleep with a lot more men... there are some women who do have multiple sex partners of course. Some by recreation, some by profession (prostitution). Which brings to point the issue that men generally have sex with prostitutes... further upping their number unless they pick the same one each time and further skewing numbers since prostitutes can have thousands of sexual partners. Statistically, a small percentage of women having sex with a much higher than average percentage of men will skew the average

Want a more example of how this skewing works with an extreme?

If 10 prostitutes have sex with 100 married men whose wives only have the husband as a partner. Each man has had sex with 11 women. 10 prostitutes and 1 wife. Of the 110 women involved, 100 have only had sex with one man.

But there are also other things to look at... what is sex? For example, oral sex. Some people consider it sex and some don't. So are some counting it and some not? Maybe for a guy who gets to orgasm during oral sex, he counts it as sex. But does the woman if she gets "nothing" out of it consider it sex if there is no intercourse? I think the CDC includes all forms of sex--but do all surveys?

It's a very gray issue indeed. But most numbers/polls/surveys indicate that more men have more sexual partners than women and it can easily be show with simple math how that can be.

Last edited by jillabean; 07-21-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I have never deflated my number. Then again, no one has asked. Is the inflate/deflate stat real or mythology? Or does it just apply to a very narrow demographic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships