Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times

Advertisements

How soon did you or would you move in with a S/O? How did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 PM

2,322 posts, read 922,879 times
In my last relationship the young lady moved in with me within 90 days of officially being a couple.

I found out much later that she wanted to move out (within 90 days of moving in) after a small argument but her mom convinced her to stay.

So six months in she wanted out.

The relationship lasted 2 years which was 18 months too long

Next relationship there will be a much longer waiting period before anybody does any moving in

Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If my goal were to get married - I would not move in with a SO.

Not generalizing the issue, but the way I see it men and women seem to view moving in together differently.
Women are more likely to see it as a step toward marriage, and men are more likely to see it as a "test run" for marriage. That does NOT mean, they should not check their sexual incompatibilities, but I think women should avoid cohabitation if they want to get married.
Women who progress from dating to sleeping over, to sleeping over a lot, to cohabitation tend to have less fruitful conversations about rings, commitments or setting date for marriage.
Living together is not motivating many guys to get married. What for? many think - they have already everything what a marriage would bring without actual commitment and marriage. Some successfully drag it for many years, as we can see from many posts on this forum.

Last edited by elnina; 07-12-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 04:24 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
I use weekend stay-overs throughout a one year span as a barometer to gauge our living compatibility before I would consider a live-in arrangement.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Well, I wouldn't marry someone without living with them first. But I could see agreeing to a time limit before you move in.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:55 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I didn't until we were married. We stayed with eachother on weekends but that was it.

If I'm not married, I'm not sharing space permanently.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Depends... but close to a year of dating beforehand seems reasonable to me. I wouldn't move in with someone unless I'd spent enough time with them to get a sense of how things would work out long term.

Also, would you be moving into an apartment together? Or are you both already paying mortgages? (And I'm assuming kids and inheritances aren't part of the equation either...they weren't mentioned in the OP)

If you're older and established in your careers and each have a mortgage at your own place, it makes it a bit more complicated. Someone has to sell to move, so a bigger commitment is implied. Then you have to work out the payments on the single mortgage going forward, in case you wind up splitting up down the road. Moving in together may or may not be worth it, so you have to really discuss what kind of commitment you're both expecting from the relationship. And whether or not it's truly preferable to keeping your own places, or alternatively, simply getting married.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:12 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
We were in a LDR for about 2 or 3 years and visiting each other when we had vacation time saved up. I moved to be with him, and I was there for about 6 years.

It "worked out" by ending. He spent a huge amount of time with a co-worker, but they were "just friends". I left.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Husband and I started dating at 17 yo. in Oct. I turned 18 in Nov and him that Feb. We moved in together by that Aug .. been together 14 years married 10 of those.

Parents told us it was too soon we were too young. We save all our money, bought all our furniture at Goodwill or took it from the side of the road. We made it work and ever asked for a cent in help.

My one and only marriage and only relationship, ever, has outlasted my mothers last 5 marriages.. and divorces. When you know you just know

Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
If I did move in, it wouldn't be any sooner than a year of dating. But in truth, I would prefer to save living together foe after we're married. Sometimes guys can get comfortable with a live-in girlfriend, and see no reason for marriage when they're already sharing a house. But not all the time of course. My brother is getting married, and he lived with his girlfriend for 2-4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships