Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM

663 posts, read 777,746 times

Advertisements

I noticed that when women give out relationship advice to a woman, it is usually, "don't worry, you are perfectly fine gal, you will EVENTUALLY land the right guy."

It is pretty much implying the girl is already "perfect" and everything from here on out is "luck"...thus her success is linked to "luck"

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...o-silly-2.html

When guys give relationship advice to guys, it is usually, "you lack confidence. You gotta be more confident, outgoing, etc. " or "don't worry, just approach more girls." or "you were too shy." or "you were being too c*cky" or whatever.

It is pretty much implying the guy has room to improve and his success is linked to his actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I noticed that when women give out relationship advice to a woman, it is usually, "don't worry, you are perfectly fine gal, you will EVENTUALLY land the right guy."

It is pretty much implying the girl is already "perfect" and everything from here on out is "luck"...thus her success is linked to "luck"

When guys give relationship advice to guys, it is usually, "you lack confidence. You gotta be more confident, outgoing, etc. " or "don't worry, just approach more girls." or "you were too shy." or "you were being too c*cky" or whatever.

It is pretty much implying the guy has room to improve and his success is linked to his actions.
So as to why their advices fail. You're never good 'nuff is the underlying message.

You see, when you want to attract a perfect partner for you and a perfect relationship for you, reality is no one is perfect.

When we say "take it or leave it" it means, you gotta accept yourself as a person first, own what you have, and love yourself. Your energy attracts someone similar.

If your advice is to bash on your own self-esteem, then no one's gonna love you. But, if you want to hear that advice, and think you'll build up your self-confidence that way, then kuddos to you!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
So as to why their advices fail. You're never good 'nuff is the underlying message.

You see, when you want to attract a perfect partner for you and a perfect relationship for you, reality is no one is perfect.

When we say "take it or leave it" it means, you gotta accept yourself as a person first, own what you have, and love yourself. Your energy attracts someone similar.

If your advice is to bash on your own self-esteem, then no one's gonna love you. But, if you want to hear that advice, and think you'll build up your self-confidence that way, then kuddos to you!
kats right. remember that traditionally its the men that approach the women, so the men have to have at least enough confidence in themselves to get the ball rolling. as far as advice i give to women, it is similar to the advice i give to the men. women too have to confidence in themselves, again at least enough to get the ball rolling.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
I think a lot of people here have a good idea why they fail at dating; they just don't want to address their issues and figure a way to solve it.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Basically says to me that the only person you should trust in terms of romance is yourself.

Sometimes advice helps, most other times it causes problems. People can point the finger into what they think is the "right" direction, but it's really up to the person who is in the relationship to make the decision.

Everyone knows what their problem is, they just need to figure out how to go about fixing it. Everyone has their own opinion and a different perspective. You have to learn how to trust your own judgement. Live and learn. Insight helps though.

Last edited by Auraliea; 07-14-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:

Well, consider this: While what you're saying is true, only the advice to men actually helps. To take a more cliché approach, the advice to men is to solve their problem, while the "advice" to women is more to make them feel better. That discrepancy alone is one of the biggest reasons that men and women argue: that men want to find a solution where women want to be consoled. So the advice that men and women receive about their dating problems reflects that.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

When women give men relationship advice, it is often similar to that they give to women.

When men give relationship advice to women, it is often similar to that they give to men.

It isn't about the gender of the recipient like you imply, it is about the gender of the giver.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Well, consider this: While what you're saying is true, only the advice to men actually helps. To take a more cliché approach, the advice to men is to solve their problem, while the "advice" to women is more to make them feel better. That discrepancy alone is one of the biggest reasons that men and women argue: that men want to find a solution where women want to be consoled. So the advice that men and women receive about their dating problems reflects that.
Good points! This is so true in our societal gender dynamic. I dated this guy one time, and I just knew it wasn't going to work out! I like to give solutions, and he wanted me to help boost his self-esteem by giving him support. We kept getting into fights, because he would complain "I wanted you to tell me that my idea was really good, not tell me how to improve my idea."

I had to tell him, I am horrible at that stuff, you need someone who thinks that way. You can vent all you want, but I just don't read that as looking for compliments. I pitch solutions!

It was an important life lesson for me. I don't fall neatly into the gender boxes, so if a potential partner wants someone who falls a little more neatly then I'm not the one for them. I am 50% traditional, and 50% not.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM

663 posts, read 777,746 times
Quote:
So can we all agree that women here don't actually want any actual advice and just want replies that make them feel better?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
This is pretty insightful... while there are exceptions, for the most part when women talk about a problem, they are looking to be consoled. When men talk about a problem, they are looking for a solution. So much advice for couples centers around this. They tell men, if your wife tells you how hard her day is, listen... don't try to "fix things" unless she specifically asks. For women, they say if your husband comes home with a problem he tells you about, try to help him figure it out, he's trying to solve it and needs your help. The basic premise is, culturally, women tend to be comforters and nurtures and men tend to be protectors and problem solvers. Again, there are exceptions, but overall, it's the way people tend to be.

I think a lot of people realize this innately and their advice could be reflecting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships