Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 AM

21 posts, read 19,008 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been together for 9 years. We have 3 children aged 5, 3 and 2.

Marriage has never been an issue with us. We never talked about it, we simply moved in together when we thought it was the right time. My family has never cared about it, my mother refers to her as her daughter-in-law and my brother as her SIL.

Her family is a different story, since they're religious. So the other day she asked me if I had never thought about marriage. I told her no, never cared about it. I'm with her because I want to be and that's all that matters. A couple of her friends married in church lately so I don't know if that has had any influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Why are you asking us? How could we possibly know? When she asked you, would it have been so hard to say, "No, I never really cared about it. Why do you ask?"

Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you asking us? How could we possibly know? When she asked you, would it have been so hard to say, "No, I never really cared about it. Why do you ask?"

I did ask her but she was evasive. Said she was just curious. Women, you never know what they mean or want.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazzeoC View Post
I did ask her but she was evasive. Said she was just curious. Women, you never know what they mean or want.
If you've been with her for 9 years, had 3 kids with her, and still don't know what she means or wants, there's something wrong. Maybe she was just curious to know if you'd ever thought about it.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
If you've been with her for 9 years, had 3 kids with her, and still don't know what she means or wants, there's something wrong. Maybe she was just curious to know if you'd ever thought about it.
Can't see why, women are always women. What I find strange is that she never, ever brought up this issue.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Can't see why, women are always women.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Maybe she was quietly waiting and hoping, and now she feels bad she did. Sounds like she never pressured you. At the same time, she's probably feeling a bit sad the thought never crossed your mind after having been together for almost a decade and a family later.

She probably feels a little unappreciated and taken for granted for.. Women aren't as complicated as what society likes to paint us out to be. You don't seem to understand her needs, as a mother, and as your significant other. She wants complete affirmation of your commitment to her. Obviously.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Maybe she was quietly waiting and hoping, and now she feels bad she did. Sounds like she never pressured you. At the same time, she's probably feeling a bit sad the thought never crossed your mind after having been together for almost a decade and a family later.

She probably feels a little unappreciated and taken for granted for.. Women aren't as complicated as what society likes to paint us out to be. You don't seem to understand her needs, as a mother, and as your significant other. She wants complete affirmation of your commitment to her. Obviously.
I don't think I ever gave her reasons to feel that way. I don't like contracts where a government dictates the rules of my relationship.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I don't think I ever gave her reasons to feel that way. I don't like contracts where a government dictates the rules of my relationship.
Maybe you should tell her that, instead of us. It seems like you two don't have good communication on this score.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
It seems like you two don't have good communication on this score.
I admit sometimes I don't get her. I'm very straightforward and it sometimes feel like I have to guess her mind.

I hope her family isn't having any influence in this. She had an aunt who called our kids "the children of sin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships