Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

I would like to understand this phenomenon, in general. I have noticed that some people are more talkative, friendly, assertive, expressive, less shy etc. online than they are in person. I am wondering why that is?

A little background story to this question. I went to a friend's BBQ this weekend and met a guy. He seemed shy, and, frankly, I would have never thought he was interested in me, he didn't act that way. We were friendly, but again, he seemed like a shy type of personality. A couple of days later, he found me on OkCupid (he said it was a coincidence) and asked me out. I had to turn him down because he is far from my type, but then, he proceeded to be extremely assertive and persistent. I chalk this up to him feeling more courageous behind a computer screen. This is a far cry from the guy I met in person. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I chalk this up to him feeling more courageous behind a computer screen. This is a far cry from the guy I met in person. What gives?
You nailed it.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:54 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,617 times
I agree. A lot of people have major insecurities that seem to vanish behind a computer screen and keyboard. It makes them feel as if they can be who they really are, without feeling self-conscious. I used to be that way, but I have learned to be more confident in myself.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You nailed it.
Ahh. But why is that? I don't understand...

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
I'm naturally an incredibly shy person who is very uncomfortable in certain scenes (happy hour at a bar or a big group in which I don't know anyone, for example). I was doing good for awhile but in the last year or so have been retreating back into that natural state of being. I still push myself out of my comfort zone though.

Online (here), I'm "speaking" to a bunch of people who I don't know, likely will never know and as a result, I'm not as concerned with what they think of me as I am with people who I have the chance of running into again over and over.

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Eh depends.A few heard me and I think I'm the same.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:56 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
I learned that people can be more courageous behind a computer screen or a phone way back when I worked customer service 20 years ago. That's exactly it. Typing words or even talking on the phone is way different than talking to someone in person, face to face.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'm naturally an incredibly shy person who is very uncomfortable in certain scenes (happy hour at a bar or a big group in which I don't know anyone, for example). I was doing good for awhile but in the last year or so have been retreating back into that natural state of being. I still push myself out of my comfort zone though.

Online (here), I'm "speaking" to a bunch of people who I don't know, likely will never know and as a result, I'm not as concerned with what they think of me as I am with people who I have the chance of running into again over and over.
There were only 5 of us at this BBQ. Is that a big group?
He likely will run into me again as we have mutual friends and they are planning to invite us over again.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Ahh. But why is that? I don't understand...
Some people feel they can reinvent themselves when given the anonymity of online interactions. Probably people with social anxiety who freeze up when speaking to a member of the opposite sex in person don't have that problem when dealing with a computer screen, too.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some people feel they can reinvent themselves when given the anonymity of online interactions. Probably people with social anxiety who freeze up when speaking to a member of the opposite sex in person don't have that problem when dealing with a computer screen, too.
Is it maybe because they react more to body language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships