Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times

Advertisements

A lot of times, a woman's immediate family doesn't like the man she's seeing. At some point, the family might reveal they don't like him to his face. In some cases they might eventually warm up to the guy, but they're only putting on a front.

I think if someone has to deal with all that drama from that family (if he's already married, it would be worse), it's probably best to cut ties with the person related to them. Who knows how many times people interfere in their family member's private relationships?

Would you continue to stay with someone if their immediate family doesn't like you, would you end the relationship to avoid the drama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
if i were dating a lady, and their family didnt like me, i would stay with her for as long as she wanted me to. i can get along with just about anyone for a few hours to keep the peace between me and my lady, which at that point is the most important relationship to me.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I hate drama and will avoid it at all cost.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A lot of times, a woman's immediate family doesn't like the man she's seeing. At some point, the family might reveal they don't like him to his face. In some cases they might eventually warm up to the guy, but they're only putting on a front.

I think if someone has to deal with all that drama from that family (if he's already married, it would be worse), it's probably best to cut ties with the person related to them. Who knows how many times people interfere in their family member's private relationships?

Would you continue to stay with someone if their immediate family doesn't like you, would you end the relationship to avoid the drama?
You marry her...you marry her family.

Not good to be in the hated department.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:41 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
I would be dating the person - not their family. I would decide to be with someone based on me liking them and them liking me. Their family - and their attitudes - could not be less important in my decision.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
yes yes yes yes, as long as we are getting along and I am not a direct threat to my spouse.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,907 times
Quote:

What Mother feels any woman is good enough for her son?

What Father feels any man is good enough for his daughter?

Long story short, my husband stayed in the relationship, and I cut ties with my family. This may sound drastic, but when a family is unrealistic and dysfunctional, its easy for love to conquer them all. I was already on a semi-cut ties basis before I met him. One big mistake I made was to introduce him to them. Naively, I wanted them to meet this man that I loved so much. I wanted their acceptance of us. What child doesnt want that from their family? I should have known better, some people just never accept anything short of complete and total control.

My husband and I are together since 1980. I guess its boils down to what is truely better for you personally, but I dont think any good-hearted well meaning family would endeavor to find 'nobody' acceptable for their son or daughter.

If the love is real and strong - I say, cut the ties with the family.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 AM

639 posts, read 679,068 times
Honestly "No.."

Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
What Mother feels any woman is good enough for her son?

What Father feels any man is good enough for his daughter?

Long story short, my husband stayed in the relationship, and I cut ties with my family. This may sound drastic, but when a family is unrealistic and dysfunctional, its easy for love to conquer them all. I was already on a semi-cut ties basis before I met him. One big mistake I made was to introduce him to them. Naively, I wanted them to meet this man that I loved so much. I wanted their acceptance of us. What child doesnt want that from their family? I should have known better, some people just never accept anything short of complete and total control.

My husband and I are together since 1980. I guess its boils down to what is truely better for you personally, but I dont think any good-hearted well meaning family would endeavor to find 'nobody' acceptable for their son or daughter.

If the love is real and strong - I say, cut the ties with the family.
I agree with this. Now, this is strictly personal, as many won't agree, probably. But I think if it's genuine love-romantically, it is higher than family, even kids. I just think it's the strongest bond to have with someone, sexually, they have seen and been with you in a way that family has not--for most lol and if you have kids, it's like a blend of the 2 of you together. You live together, share finances, and it just seems more connected than any platonic love. Parents and sisters and friends are all great. I just think a lover, with whom you have a serious relationship with, comes first. My parents are married, and my brother is engaged. And I assume all of them love their partner more than platonic family. Not in a bad way of course. With my brother, his fiance comes 1st, then his kids, then our parents, and me. With my mother and father, same thing. They love each other 1st and foremost, then me and my brother are next.

So, if I met a guy I completely loved, I probably would pick him over my family, if I had to. I was always the odd one in the family anyhow. lol But luckily, my family wouldn't care who I dated, long as they weren't abusive, or a bum off the street lol And even if they did hate, I doubt I would be disowned over it. They may be disappointed though. So mainly it'd be his family hating me at best, and I still wouldn't care, long as he didn't cater to his family and throw me under the bus. Like in some cases, the mother hates the daughter-in-law, and doesn't hesitate to disrespect her, but the husband doesn't want the wife to do anything or stand up for herself, and always takes mommy's side. That would be a deal breaker for me. Don;t want a mama's boy. And to avoid controversy, a man who loves his mother is great. A mama's boy is not lol where he loves mommy more than his wife or girlfriend, mommy's opinion always comes 1st, his girl can be angry, but don't upset mommy, compare his girlfriend to mommy and want her to be like mommy, and cater to mommy as he may.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Dated quite a few men who's parents did not like me for several years (LTR). It wasn't easy, but I ignored a lot of the bs. My parents like anyone. They have NEVER been an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships