Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
If I find out he's a Cylon, it's a dealbreaker.

Think of the stamina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not exactly a deal breaker, but I find it tends to be a relationship killer, but not an over one... I have trouble relating to anyone that never in their life worked a customer service job. Even scooping ice cream, or stocking shelves, working a check out line, waited tables... I'm talking even in high school.
Why is this? Just curious.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Why is this? Just curious.

I think it is like Marshal said, it is a wavelength thing. It isn't necessarily that they treat or look down up CS people (though that happens, often subtly), but it is a shared experience and a lack of privileged background. I didn't come from the wrong side of the tracks or have a super tough life, not saying that, but people that always had hand outs or didn't have to do physical work or any sort of labor at any point in their life, I find hard to relate to over the long term.

Off topic, but I worry about the lack of work opportunities for young people now. I started at a paper route in 8th grade and kept working since then. I think its fundamentally important in the development of healthy adults.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I may have read it wrong calm down no use to have a hissy fit
Hissy fit? Where do you see "hissy fit"?
Thank you for providing me with yet another opportunity to express my views on who I wouldn't date.
Someone who doesn't know what a hissy fit is.....

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Not exactly a deal breaker, but I find it tends to be a relationship killer, but not an over one... I have trouble relating to anyone that never in their life worked a customer service job. Even scooping ice cream, or stocking shelves, working a check out line, waited tables... I'm talking even in high school.
Quote:
I think it is like Marshal said, it is a wavelength thing. It isn't necessarily that they treat or look down up CS people (though that happens, often subtly), but it is a shared experience and a lack of privileged background. I didn't come from the wrong side of the tracks or have a super tough life, not saying that, but people that always had hand outs or didn't have to do physical work or any sort of labor at any point in their life, I find hard to relate to over the long term.

Off topic, but I worry about the lack of work opportunities for young people now. I started at a paper route in 8th grade and kept working since then. I think its fundamentally important in the development of healthy adults.
I totally get it! These service jobs are like a right of passage and teach you so many valuable skills. I don't want to hire anyone who hasn't done a service job. Being a good at a service job has nothing to do with your connections, it is all about how you learn to read people, and "put on a happy face" even when you aren't in a good mood. You learn both empathy, and also, even if you are privileges, what it is like to be in the other person's shoes.

One of my friends is from a pretty privileged upper middle class background (her parents have a similar background, but her grand parents were more middle class), and this was one of the things her parents forced her to do -- we have this in common, our parents were quite similar. Anyway she scooped ice cream as her high school job. It was a grounding experience for her. I worked at McDonalds....for the same sort of grounding experience. But in her I see the me I would have become if my parents did not have some financial difficulties when I was in high school.

You can always tell the people who haven't worked in a service job ever.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Anyway she scooped ice cream as her high school job. It was a grounding experience for her.

Ice cream was my best job ever. Dated / hooked up with a number of girls I worked with. Much better than carting sod around (though that worked me out hard) or putting together newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

You can always tell the people who haven't worked in a service job ever.

Absolutely.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Ice cream was my best job ever. Dated / hooked up with a number of girls I worked with. Much better than carting sod around (though that worked me out hard) or putting together newspapers.
I quit McD's when I turned 16, the magic age when you could work the crappy hours.

I worked at a bookstore next! Such a blast, that is totally my retirement job if they are still around then.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
-has kids or expresses a desire to have kids(i hate kids and don't see myself changing my mind on this anytime soon)
-likes justin bieber or one direction(i could at least deal with your other ****ty tastes in other music)
-watches too much reality television(the only reality tv i watch is COPS)
-obese(i am in shape, i expect a partner to be the same way within reason, i don't care about just a few lbs overweight)
-smokes cigarettes(why don't i just french kiss an ashtray?)
-no job/lacks serious career prospects or education(even beauty school counts as a legitimate goal, as long as you're not complacent in a low-end min wage position)
-religious(i'm an atheist, but could deal with the fact that you believe in god, just don't be quoting psalms and forcing me to go to church)
-in bad health(i already have a parent in very bad health, i don't need the added emotional turmoil)
-drama queen(not into the who drama thing)
-teetotaler(these types tend to be judgmental & arrogant)
-too extroverted/has alot of friends(those types annoy me, especially if i am expected to constantly socialize with your friends, most of which i probably won't like in the first place)
-too clingy(don't be calling me constantly, i need my space)
-has douchebag parents or overprotective siblings(i'm a harmless guy, so don't act like i am a potential wife-beater or sex offender)
-frivolous spender/bad with money(i get it, women love to shop. but keep it under control and at least have some semblance of a budget)
-messy/slob(ive been told that i am very clean for a guy, with that being said, i will not live in complete filth)

Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
-has kids or expresses a desire to have kids(i hate kids and don't see myself changing my mind on this anytime soon)
-likes justin bieber or one direction(i could at least deal with your other ****ty tastes in other music)
-watches too much reality television(the only reality tv i watch is COPS)
-obese(i am in shape, i expect a partner to be the same way within reason, i don't care about just a few lbs overweight)
-smokes cigarettes(why don't i just french kiss an ashtray?)
-no job/lacks serious career prospects or education(even beauty school counts as a legitimate goal, as long as you're not complacent in a low-end min wage position)
-religious(i'm an atheist, but could deal with the fact that you believe in god, just don't be quoting psalms and forcing me to go to church)
-in bad health(i already have a parent in very bad health, i don't need the added emotional turmoil)
-drama queen(not into the who drama thing)
-teetotaler(these types tend to be judgmental & arrogant)
-too extroverted/has alot of friends(those types annoy me, especially if i am expected to constantly socialize with your friends, most of which i probably won't like in the first place)
-too clingy(don't be calling me constantly, i need my space)
-has douchebag parents or overprotective siblings(i'm a harmless guy, so don't act like i am a potential wife-beater or sex offender)
-frivolous spender/bad with money(i get it, women love to shop. but keep it under control and at least have some semblance of a budget)
-messy/slob(ive been told that i am very clean for a guy, with that being said, i will not live in complete filth)

IMO, most of these are pretty common.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:

I never worked retail or food service (oh wait, I did...a year in the college cafe) but did some construction labor and paper route...I hope that counts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships