Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

The thing is now, "average" is overweight. Most people are overweight.

The self selected body types don't mean anything to me. Too much spin/variation in how people see themselves or what they think is the norm / average.

How the weight sits means everything. I've gain 10# in the past year. Also lost another pant size. So I'm more overweight but in better shape than ever before. Meaningless stuff. How the weight sits on the frame is hard to quantify, and how they move with it is even harder to quantify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I might try a different site. I am on Match.com right now and it's very hard finding a man interested in a laid back, causal relationship. I might try something like Adult Friend Finder. Anyone ever try that site?

I've had a couple of female friends use it when they were looking for rather specific needs to be met. Seemed to have mixed success. Still a fair amount of misrepresentation going on, like a real sub saying they're a switch, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The thing is now, "average" is overweight. Most people are overweight.

The self selected body types don't mean anything to me. Too much spin/variation in how people see themselves or what they think is the norm / average.

How the weight sits means everything. I've gain 10# in the past year. Also lost another pant size. So I'm more overweight but in better shape than ever before. Meaningless stuff. How the weight sits on the frame is hard to quantify, and how they move with it is even harder to quantify.
Yep... meaningless. That's why I have a full body shot as my second picture. Me, head to toe in shorts and a nice fitting tee-shirt. Actually, I have two if you include me in full scuba gear. But scuba gear is kind of bulky and doesn't really show my shape (even if under it all I have a form fitted rubber (neoprene) suit on )

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Alfred, please tell me that profile was fake.
Haha. No. I live in Arkansas and that profile that he posted is similar to what I see in my area too. People be crazy!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

Seriously, are people really that boring?
YES, and all of you folks need to get over it. Most people are average boring people, including yourself.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
For me, when I see the phrase "laid back and easy going" what I see in my head is Lebowski. Some dude who would rather lay on the couch and smoke pot/play video games/"practice" guitar/whatever and avoid actual work/responsibility. To me it's an immediate turnoff.
Laid-back in its true meaning is a good trait. It means enjoying the journey the same as the destination. I consider myself as a female to possess that quality.

Sadly, in the OLD world, I think moonbeam's definition is pretty true. It is a glossy way to describe lazy.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Laid-back in its true meaning is a good trait. It means enjoying the journey the same as the destination. I consider myself as a female to possess that quality.

Sadly, in the OLD world, I think moonbeam's definition is pretty true. It is a glossy way to describe lazy.

To me, laid back is the opposite of intense. It's akin to mellow. Not positive attributes for me in a partner. It is one reason I really prefer dating in Boston compared to San Francisco. Here people are more intense.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 15,167 times
The ones that make me laugh and look ridiculous are the bathroom pics, and especially if they are shirtless. Then the guys that have nothing but pictures holding alcohol, and especially if they are over 30, looks stupid!

I have seen so many fake profiles it's not funny. One guy had me through the process just to ask me stupid questions and say he wouldn't let his mate drive a car, etc.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
YES, and all of you folks need to get over it. Most people are average boring people, including yourself.

This quote says it all! You know why profiles sound the same and boring? Because people are all the same and boring. There is nothing that makes us stand out from the crowd, yet we do OLD, and expect to be wowed and amazed. The same thing most of you are saying about all these profiles, everyone else on that site is saying the same about yours. Yes most profiles will say they like the beach, because guess what?? Most people like the beach. Most people like to travel. Most people enjoy eating out. My advice to folks who are looking for someone so unique like them, need to find groups and dating sites that fit that niche you crave. Whatever that may be. It's the internet folks, they have a site for everything. I'm pretty sure you could find a dating site that fits your needs.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
There's a huge amount to be said for avoiding meeting people online and any real world singles events.

Instead, go to the real world activities that you enjoy and meet people there. Concentrate on meeting new friends and don't worry if there don't seem to be dateable women or men. Just put the word out that you are looking for a quality partner and don't mind being fixed up. Treat any dates you get this way like gold, even if they aren't "your type" and network with other singles. While "Bob" may not be "your type," he might be perfect for your friend Jane. Introduce them!

You may still run into married people who want to cheat and the mentally unstable this way, but it's more likely that you will meet more quality people with a known history.

I've known people who met partners via the Internet but even they had to go through a lot of toads.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Instead, go to the real world activities that you enjoy and meet people there.

Sounds good, assuming that the things you like to do attracts singles of your preferred gender. Mine does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships