Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Couldn't agree more. I would cringe often with the men who contacted me. I wasn't looking for a handsome millionaire but am educated, pretty and in shape yet would usually get much older, unattractive (talking Frankenstein unattractive) and obese who worked low paying jobs like fast food. Did they honestly think I would even be slightly interested?
Exactly. But you know what? I have a nagging suspicion that most men do that (try to reach above their league and see if it flies). Aggravating. They need someone to do an assessment on them. Not that they'd like it, but they'd be forced to have a more realistic view of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:00 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Exactly. But you know what? I have a nagging suspicion that most men do that (try to reach above their league and see if it flies). Aggravating. They need someone to do an assessment on them. Not that they'd like it, but they'd be forced to have a more realistic view of themselves.
I would try to tell them but they never listened and tried to convince me. Maybe if I had met them offline but online I saw nothing in common with them.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
No but desperate people do desperate things. I guess it boils down to how smart and calculating the desperate people are.
Nope, you're backpedaling. Your logic is incorect. There has never been a time, at least in the US, where men had free, unconstrained sexual access at all times to women. That is a fantasy men like you have come up with to try and deal with the fact that women aren't sleeping with you.

The men who are looking for overseas brides are doing so because they either can't find a local woman who will put up with their particular brand of weird s h i t, or they like the idea having a subservient woman who will have to be reliant on them in a new culture.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Well, that is men in their natural habitat. I don't think creativity describing themselves is men's greates strength, but that is just opinion
Thank you!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

BTW, i have come across a few profiles with a math question, or a "tell me your favorite color in subject line" request. usually at the very bottom of a LOOOOONG profile.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather know too much than too little, and I'll likely read a profile several times before messaging mulling it over.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Well, at least the guys in the mall and such just don't walk up and say, "Hi! You're cute. If you like me start talking to me?" Which is about the same as "Hi, you're cute. Message me if you like my profile." lol

I find that very long profiles are also filled with a lot of stuff you really don't need (like the people who decide to put all the lyrics of their favorite song in their profile... why do people do that?) But they are better than the short "non" profiles. I've seen profiles of just one sentence. What am I supposed to talk about with that?

My profile is 195 works long/ four paragraphs (just did a word count) not including the math question. Not too long I don't think. Maybe I should do the favorite color thing? Although the math problem does stick out well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Four paragraphs? Yeah, too much to read, Lol.

I'm going to start an online dating profile for sht&giggles on POF and that Cupid thingamajig site with just pictures, and basic info; income yadda yadda, nothing else. I'm going to send 10 messages with just "hi" or "wazup?" and see what responses I get I'll report back.
Bahahaha. My profile had 2200 words. My portion of it was a wee bit shorter since I didn't cut the pre-worded format before pasting it into the word count box. My husband's was around 2400.

While it was indeed long according to most people's standards, I received a lot of positive feedback on it, and it certainly didn't hurt me in the way of "success." Typically, the people I interacted with or dated also had lengthy profiles or simply appreciated well-written and entertaining profiles. I had some message me knowing, stating, we weren't a match but still enjoyed what they read.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
I screen out the people with short profiles, unless they are unusually witty. Not compatible.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM

When I was on, I had a short profile. I'm sure that got me passed over by a bunch by guys. Oh well. Some still wrote to me.

I tended to pass over the guys with extra long profiles. Too many words, lol. I just needed the basic demographics filled out (but at least with proper spelling please!) and just a sentence or two about what he was looking for, which actually the pro-forma questions, if answered, covered the basics enough for me.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Oh well, srjth, you and I will just be two ships passing in the night... .

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Oh well, srjth, you and I will just be two ships passing in the night... .
We will still wave to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships