Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 AM

432 posts, read 362,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt222 View Post
You know when people love to post "inspirational sayings" on FB? I came across this gem recently:

"A man’s rite of passage is loving a woman with all of his heart.
Until a man can love a woman the way she deserves to be
loved, he’s still a boy. "
Completely wrong. Men are measured by their accomplishments in life. Look at Shakespeare.

And love does not exist in terms of relationships with someone you are not related to. Just doesn't work that way seeing how attraction works.

Quote:
I have no problem with a man loving a woman with all of his heart but considering it a "rite of passage"
that defines whether he transitions from a boy to a man if he doesn't love a woman the way she "deserves"
to be loved? Ugh.

Can you imagine switching the genders and how offensive this would immediately sound to women?

"A woman’s rite of passage is loving a man with all of her heart.
Until a woman can love a man the way he deserves to be
loved, she’s still a girl. "

Sounds like something from the 1950's on how to be a good housewife, doesn't it?
Yet, in 2014, we have no trouble at all defining the passage into manhood by how well a given man loves a woman as much as she "deserves" to be loved.

While I am at it, I am a little sick and tired of this notion in our society that manhood is something that must be earned by doing X.
Feminism at its finest..!

All these guys living in a generation from which most men are weak and needy. Why do you think Elliot Rodgers happened? That type of sh*t is the reason I'm here spreading enlightenment.

Manhood is earned by dominating your mind. Not other people.

Quote:
"If you don't do X you are not a real man and are still a boy."

In my mind, you become a man when you reach the age of majority. Whether or not you are a good man or a bad man is another issue but since when is manhood itself up to society and usually women to define it's threshold?

The sentiment above just REEKS of entitlement and shaming language. You don't "deserve" to be loved just by virtue of being born a specific gender. Love is a two way street.

Sexism is also a two way street. It's sexist to think women deserve special treatment or should be placed on a pedestal just because they are female.

Now, I love my wife with all of my heart and do little and big things all the time to show her this, as she does for me but that's because we are compatible, we love each other and have put effort into the relationship. It also had a large degree of luck involved as I know plenty of good people, male and female who have not had the fortune of meeting their true loves yet.
Sexism isn't real. Discrimination is real.

Both genders have their limits and have their strengths that the other does not. Women tend to be a bit more caring while men are typicality more stronger. Of course there will always be people who fall in between the cracks. But in this society, it's raising boys to become more feminine and women to become more masculine. Trying to fit a circle in a square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
"A woman’s rite of passage is loving a man with all of her heart.
Until a woman can love a man the way he deserves to be
loved, she’s still a girl. "

I dont find this to be sexist. When you take into consideration the quality of characters necessary to acheive the goal; either way you write it - its sounds sexy, not sexist, to me. *blushes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships