Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
No, no, please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I'm not saying that if I buy you a meal, then we're officially in a relationship. I'm saying that it is extremely expensive for men to date. I don't think some women realize this. Therefore, if you're not serious about dating, then you should not waste their time or money.

That's all I'm saying. Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I think some women use dating as a free meal ticket. I know I sound pretty jaded, but my experience lately has been pretty lame.
Do what I did. Cut out expensive dates. Stick to coffee, ice cream, cook dinner. I stopped going out on strictly dinner dates a while ago. If she's willing to stick around while you're "cheap" she's willing to stick around while you spend. Most of my dates have been coffee and me cooking dinner. Most women feel comfortable around me, and since I don't have kids, I can have more dates at my apartment. I don't have to go out and pay to have someone prepare my meals.

Also, if you are getting to the point to where dating is expensive, you need to reevaluate the dates you're going on. Maybe you're scheduling too many dates that you can't continuously afford to go on. I started meeting more people online, so I couldn't keep shelling out money for dinners and activities. Coffee and me cooking made things cheaper to where I could date multiple people and it not kill my bank account.

Yes, you are right, dating is expensive, but you have to pay to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:26 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Do what I did. Cut out expensive dates. Stick to coffee, ice cream, cook dinner. I stopped going out on strictly dinner dates a while ago. If she's willing to stick around while you're "cheap" she's willing to stick around while you spend. Most of my dates have been coffee and me cooking dinner. Most women feel comfortable around me, and since I don't have kids, I can have more dates at my apartment. I don't have to go out and pay to have someone prepare my meals.

Also, if you are getting to the point to where dating is expensive, you need to reevaluate the dates you're going on. Maybe you're scheduling too many dates that you can't continuously afford to go on. I started meeting more people online, so I couldn't keep shelling out money for dinners and activities. Coffee and me cooking made things cheaper to where I could date multiple people and it not kill my bank account.

Yes, you are right, dating is expensive, but you have to pay to play.
RIGHT ON, BRO! Why aren't more dudes onto this, instead of complaining about having to shell out for dates? With a little imagination, you can come up with free, or nearly free, dates that are fun, even romantic. Chicks love that. And the ones that don't? Oh well. No big loss.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM

898 posts, read 937,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
RIGHT ON, BRO! Why aren't more dudes onto this, instead of complaining about having to shell out for dates? With a little imagination, you can come up with free, or nearly free, dates that are fun, even romantic. Chicks love that. And the ones that don't? Oh well. No big loss.
Well, I try to choose a convenient location for the two of us. Since I live on the SE part of town, I try to pick something central because most people my age live in the central part of the city. Also, an invite to an unfamiliar guy's house or apartment on a first date may be construed as creepy. I don't know that many women would partake. I have been doing the coffee and ice cream dates though, which is nice and typically inexpensive.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Well, I try to choose a convenient location for the two of us. Since I live on the SE part of town, I try to pick something central because most people my age live in the central part of the city. Also, an invite to an unfamiliar guy's house or apartment on a first date may be construed as creepy. I don't know that many women would partake. I have been doing the coffee and ice cream dates though, which is nice and typically inexpensive.
I feel them out. Most I can tell pretty quickly if they'd be comfortable with something like that. I've had several first dates that met at my apartment before. What's creepy to some is right up another person's alley. Also, why not just do coffee or ice cream? If a woman is going to complain about that, than she's likely too high maintenance for you and was just looking for the meal anyways. No need to be doing $40+ first time meetups. Most of mine have been under $10. They don't like you than you're out $10. Much easier to swallow than being out $40. I used to do the expensive first meetups and I realized how stupid it was on my part, because I was getting a little frustrated that they weren't interested. "You got to switch the style up, and if they hate, let them hate and watch the money pile up." - 50 Cent.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM

867 posts, read 908,763 times
Now, Miss Jillabean if you do consider what I have written you will still have to weed out duds--people who aren't ready for commitment for example. So, I'm not trying to portray these particular professions in an ideal light. What I suspect will happen if you take this path is that you may not have to deal with the issues you've indicated in the past but, but, but you will encounter new issues to deal with that may require slight adjustment. However, in my opinion it's better and more fulfilling to deal with new issues and experiences that may be challenging then just continuing more of the same where you kind of know what's going to happen in advance.

However, ultimately, run it by a cognitive behavioral therapist. I emphasize CBT because these people are trained to be objective. My suspicion if you run it by a CBT they will help guide you in what new issues you may have deal with, guide you in whether you want to adjust, and guide you into how to adjust while remaining true to your chore.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
I have been doing the coffee and ice cream dates though, which is nice and typically inexpensive.
I'm down with this, too. And roger, the dinner-at-home invite would have to wait until some level of trust is established.
You wouldn't believe the fight that raged over the concept of ice cream dates, on this forum, though. It was wild! A lot of people said that was more of a teeny-bopper date than an adult date. I say it's a good option to have as an alternative to coffee dates. And it depends on the venue, too, of course.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
I'm sure jillabean would be perfectly happy to reimburse those guys for any money they spent, if they actually care.

Also, if you read her posts, it sounds like they were using her for free / extremely cheap counseling. She should be sending them bills!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I originally used the word mistress. I actually meant precisely that as I don't think the open relationship versions/parallels would have worked here.
Why do you think that?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Get a really basic cell phone that doesn't do texting. Tell your daters that's all you have. Problem solved. You should have a separate phone # for dating anyway, in case someone gets creepy on you.

You might also want to think about why you're drawn to unavailable men. Some therapy sessions could help you turn that around. Artifice, posting above, is right on, imo.
Not a bad idea. I might hang on to my go-phone just for that.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM

898 posts, read 937,447 times
Quote:
I'm down with this, too. And roger, the dinner-at-home invite would have to wait until some level of trust is established.
You wouldn't believe the fight that raged over the concept of ice cream dates, on this forum, though. It was wild! A lot of people said that was more of a teeny-bopper date than an adult date. I say it's a good option to have as an alternative to coffee dates. And it depends on the venue, too, of course.
I must have missed those. So far the girls I've seen have not had an issue with those date suggestions (as far as I know). If they did have an issue with it, that's fine with me. If all they're concerned about is getting pampered, then I'm not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships