Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Traveling on business, I find little motivation to travel for leisure. It feels unnatural and illegitimate to not be earning per-diem every day while away from town, or $0.56/mile while driving! On the domestic trips, most gatherings are strictly business, and evening dinners are amongst coworkers. But on the oversees trips, with the fancy receptions and various functions, somehow my traveling-colleagues (whenever we go as a group) or collaborators from overseas (who are gathered at the same conference) materialize at the formal dinners with their wives or girlfriends. That is when the desperate sensation of loneliness sets in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We do live in a first world country!
We do indeed. In a third world country, the people would be occupied with concerns of how to procure clean water, how not to get hassled by the village policemen without having to pay another bribe, how to find materials to repair a broken cart or bicycle, where to get immunizations for their kids (and how to afford the medicine). But they wouldn't be worried about dating. And if a local fellow announces that he's going overseas on business and is looking for a young lady to accompany him with all of her expenses paid, the local fathers would be lining up, offering their daughters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I'm not single but hell yeah, if I was looking for a new mate I'd want one who enjoyed travel. Both my SO and I have always had a bit of wanderlust and I don't think I could make it work with someone who didn't understand why I randomly wanted to go on a solo trip to Serbia or spend Thanksgiving together in Laos or do a bbq-themed road trip. The world is so big and I want to see as much of it as I can.

Some people's idea of a vacation is Disney or a golf trip or an all-inclusive resort or a guided tour of western Europe. And that's great for them but it's just not for me. Since my love of travel is a big part of my life, of course I'd want someone who was on the same page as me and who planned for it. I imagine someone who devoted his spare time/money to say, restoring cars, wouldn't be a good match for me.

I don't buy the OP's premise that a love of travel leads to a life alone. I'm proof that it's not. We travel together, I travel solo, we stay together.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,547 times
Most people like to travel, whether international or within the country. Married folk or folk with SOs don't have to announce whether they like to travel. Single people have to let a possible SO know what they like. I do not like traveling alone, so if I don't have friends or a SO with whom to travel, I actually take fewer trips. I could go alone, but it is more fun for me to have someone with me.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
My parents are the reason I got the travel bug. when my twin brother and I were kids we spent about 5 of our summers staying with relatives in France and Spain. They wanted us to meet our relatives and experience the culture of their birth places. We were 10 the first time we were sent as "unaccompanied minors " to the south of France. By 15 we were begging them to let us go. Lol
He and I used to travel together a lot, but he's married now so that pretty much put an end to that.
Travel can be such an amazing experience and seeing how other people live... Priceless.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I never mentioned traveling in my profile, at least not in respect to activities or things I like to do. I don't not like traveling. I have traveled and lived overseas. I've visited and lived in many states, and if I were able to, I'd enjoy traveling here and there. I do like some adventure, and exploring different cultures and areas can be loads of fun. It just isn't doable at this point in my life, unless we're talking traveling to nearby vacation areas within the state or the PNW.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I hate to travel alone. Vacation romance, vacation sex...these are the spice of life, events you never forget.

As a single person traveling alone you can also experience vacation romance, and vacation sex ( if one is so inclined). And likewise .. You'll remember these events for a life time. I've always heard that "variety" is the spice of life. Lol
I get what you're saying though. Shared experiences with a loved one can be pretty nice.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
As a single person traveling alone you can also experience vacation romance, and vacation sex ( if one is so inclined). And likewise .. You'll remember these events for a life time. I've always heard that "variety" is the spice of life. Lol
I get what you're saying though. Shared experiences with a loved one can be pretty nice.

Absolutely. Australian ladies are throughout Asia and know how to party!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
True, but the sort of single person who's successful in these pursuits is the outgoing, charismatic type, who presumably would do just as well at home. Such a person could secure a travel-companion in his or her home-city, and therefore not be left having to travel alone, unless the specific purpose were to meet a new companion while traveling.

The less effusively gregarious type might be an astute traveler, carefully researching the destination and extracting much memorable benefit from the venture. But such a person would be limited to private sensations on the road. Unfortunately in online dating we can't forthrightly admit this fact, without sounds needy or implying interest in a sex-junket with one's prospective date. So this is yet another context in which online dating invariably devolves to prevarication and posturing.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
True, but the sort of single person who's successful in these pursuits is the outgoing, charismatic type, who presumably would do just as well at home. Such a person could secure a travel-companion in his or her home-city, and therefore not be left having to travel alone, unless the specific purpose were to meet a new companion while traveling.

The less effusively gregarious type might be an astute traveler, carefully researching the destination and extracting much memorable benefit from the venture. But such a person would be limited to private sensations on the road. Unfortunately in online dating we can't forthrightly admit this fact, without sounds needy or implying interest in a sex-junket with one's prospective date. So this is yet another context in which online dating invariably devolves to prevarication and posturing.
Your line of thinking assumes that anyone who travels alone (in a non-business capacity) is doing so by default rather than desire. Not necessarily the case, speaking from personal experience.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Again, you make it somehow sound like there is a negative to traveling alone. Like it is somehow less good that traveling with another. It isn't, it is just a bit different.

The only negative I've ever ever encountered is where there might be tours where there is a single traveler penalty, but those things aren't my jam anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships