Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I am not single, and really don't have the desire to travel. However, if my husband died and I could afford it, I might travel with others in the same boat as me, just for something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Don't wait too much longer buddy. Enjoy yourself, but always be on the lookout for the right one.

It's getting harder and harder to find a compatible mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Not worried, hopefully someone will still want me when I am 30 or so.

Buddy... You do realize that I am a girl right ? Lol
It's not that, there are just a lot more available choices around when you are younger and ways to meet them. I find, that after age X, people stop wanting to meet new people, or are more settled in their existing circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
There's a good amount of truth to this. I put off relationships as well so I could focus on my career. Once I finally got settled into my career and ready to focus on a relationship, there wasn't much picking to go around. In a more urban and progressive area this is not the case, but if you live in or near areas where people tend to get married young; you could find yourself a day lot and a dollar short.
It is especially worse in places where people get married super early. Bigger metros can have their own problems. As my NYC friends said, it always feels like people are assuming there is something better around the corner tomorrow, so why try today!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 PM

216 posts, read 438,356 times
Travel is a very generic interest. When I look at a guy's profile, the question I have is what "travel" means to him.

To some, it means Disneyworld, a cruise, or some sort of pre-packaged, sterile all inclusive resort full of Americans. To others, it means an RV trip through Florida to go see their sister and brother in law in Weeki Watchee.

To me, it means a more adventurous, off the beaten path trip. (Not a dig towards folks who like more homogenized travel options, or domestic travel). Just sayin'... it helps to be specific in the profile so that someone who is truly compatible with you can figure out the possible compatibility.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
"love to travel" and "down to earth" are probably the two most egregious OLD cliches.

I hate seeing them. Most people have vacation pics from somewhere & think they're cultured because they studied abroad in college or took a 4 week Euro-tour.

I'm a little more impressed if they went to southeast Asia, Latin America (other than the beach resorts in Mexico) or the middle east, but still, these are things most people "love" to do that occur maybe once every 5 years for them, so it's not relevant for dating.

I also "love to travel" but who doesn't? I can't afford to take any international trips other than to Canada more than once every 2-3 years or so. I do travel regionally b/c I live in a medium sized town with little culture & diversity and I need to soak up culture everyone once in a while - art show, theater, symphony, etc... I grew up in an artsy family and have to have that in my life. So I travel to San Francisco, Seattle or Portland once every 6-10 weeks at least and put that straight up in my profile. I do this with someone or by myself, it doesn't matter to me. No one seems to care, it doesn't increase my responses by any amount that I can tell.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
While I haven't been able to travel as much in the last few years due to being early in my career and the health and financial disaster that resulted from a cancer diagnosis, I have it in my online dating profile because it is a priority. I studied abroad in 3 different countries in college, ranging from 4 months to 8 months (and only one English speaking country), was able to travel from my bases while studying abroad, and have taken every opportunity to travel since then (including to Israel at the beginning of this latest conflict).

When I look for a relationship, I want someone who also prioritizes travel. Another reason I have not traveled much since college is I have not dated people who are interested in travel. I didn't realize how important it was for me until I found that I could not share that with a partner. Living in New England, I can be in Maine, NH, VT, RI, or CT in under 2 hours. Unfortunately, I seem to date lots of men who think their yearly trip to the Cape is a big adventure (and there's nothing less appealing to me than sitting on a beach or hiking dunes for a week).

I've also found that the strongest correlation between personality traits and sexual compatibility are adventurous eating and desire to travel. If someone is admitted picky eater and their peak travel desire is an island in the Caribbean or - even worse - not going anywhere at all, I know we will not be compatible in the bedroom. It's never happened yet!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:35 AM

214 posts, read 206,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I also "love to travel" but who doesn't?
Uh, what? Lots of people don't like to travel. I hate to travel. I'd take laying around at home any day. The problem is that if you say that, it immediately and admittedly sounds boring and unsophisticated. Which is really pretty silly, if you ask me, since most people who travel just go to tourist traps, which hardly makes anyone more sophisticated. However, it's basically "illegal" to write "don't like to travel" on an online profile, since that's the assumption that people have.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've seen people comment here that online dating is full of people who like to travel (which is my observation also). I agree that some profiles probably say that to impress with their exciting lives, income, or such, and maybe some exaggerate. However, after some pondering, I think the main reason is the nature of people who like to travel. They probably are more outgoing and novelty-seeking and more prone to relocating or taking travel-heavy jobs than other people (on average). The personality traits might destabilize relationships; the latter definitely causes problems in finding or maintaining relationships. I'm not a traveler myself, and I will leave it up to others to confirm or refute the above.
Dr. Helen Fisher talks about this in her book. Those who seek excitement and adventure are the least to stay loyal and committed. It's the novelty seeking nature.

Who's to say both partners can't travel together if they love traveling?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Ah, Helen Fisher, more interesting to me than my own thread (Usually I don't sit out of my own creations.) Did she explicitly mention travel?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:42 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've seen people comment here that online dating is full of people who like to travel (which is my observation also). I agree that some profiles probably say that to impress with their exciting lives, income, or such, and maybe some exaggerate. However, after some pondering, I think the main reason is the nature of people who like to travel. They probably are more outgoing and novelty-seeking and more prone to relocating or taking travel-heavy jobs than other people (on average). The personality traits might destabilize relationships; the latter definitely causes problems in finding or maintaining relationships. I'm not a traveler myself, and I will leave it up to others to confirm or refute the above.
You only seem to encounter this on dating sites. My guess; it is a way for the profile to say I'm too busy to meet somebody in the real world while still seeming interesting.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Dr. Helen Fisher talks about this in her book. Those who seek excitement and adventure are the least to stay loyal and committed. It's the novelty seeking nature.

Who's to say both partners can't travel together if they love traveling?

That's me! I have wanderlust, but at the same I (feel) am too young for a committed relationship.. My love for adventure and travel not withstanding. So many interesting people and places, so little time.
One thing that I have discovered is that if you speak the language of the country you're visiting, it's like a kind of secret handshake and the people tend to be friendlier and more accommodating. Best places to see, eat, stay,sights that are off the beaten path etc.
I do want the whole husband, kids, thing... Eventually, but for now. I am having tons of fun.

Last edited by Sydney123; 08-02-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships