Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

All the real men on this thread are cracking me up! Great posts guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,457 times
Love it!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Real Man = courage + integrity.

I likes me a real man who can stand up for what he believes in, is smart, well-rounded, nerdy, and a bit of a thinker for himself who.. has a bit of compassion, and isn't afraid to be himself, shy or not. The shyer, the better. Just so long he is an honest kind upstanding individual.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
"Man" to me is opposite of "boy", not opposite of "woman" in the context of this conversation. A "real man" is a male who is an adult & functions as one, handling the responsibilities and situations that come with adulthood in a positive manner. It's more about emotional & mental maturity than gender role, IMO.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie1278

A real man in my opinion
Works hard

Knows how to use tools and likes to use them
Doesn't wear pink
Doesn't
wear flip flops. Slide ons are different.
Doesn't wear skinny jeans

Those are some that just come to mind right away.
That's a pretty silly list.
But pink? Seriously? It takes a real man to wear pink. He feels he's secure in his own masculinity, and I admire a man who has the testicular fortitude to do it.
Real men don't fret about other people thinking they may be gay.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Hey all. Wow I never expected my post to cause that much of a stir. When I made that post, it was a partially tongue-in-cheek observation based on 8 years of reading this forum. I didn't mean it as an absolute, as there's enough fair-minded men, women, or otherwise to prove me wrong at times,and I have even complimented some of you on your fairness and all. But more often than not I believe there's a great deal of truth to what I had said, and this thread is no exception, so I stand by my opinion-after all isn;t that what a "real man" does
Now by standing by my observation, that in no way means I think anyone here is a horrible person. That wouldn't be fair, but sadly, I fully expect to get ripped, insulted, and not be considered a "real man". But that's OK because I'm secure enough to know that I am. My friends and gf, people who know me in real life, know that I am, and that's good enough for me. So rip away if it makes anyone feel better, but know that I, as a real man, don;t care!! I'm not going to base my character and self-worth on the opinions of people on a message board.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Aloha,

Real men are balanced between there male/female side.
Real men do MMA but go to the theater.
Real men ride a Harley but hold and feed a baby.
Real men can be tough and protector but also vulnerable and cry.
Real men can fight but also be the peacemakers
Real men can love tools but also love da hula
Real men are wise but still the fools.
Real men love weman but still will never quite understand them 100%
Real men can be the dominant one in lovemaking but also be the soft giving lover.
Real men seek perfection but realiseing they will never get there.
Real men seek balance but accept most of the time imbalance happens.
Real men love watching sports(football,mma etc) but also love dramas and flowers(eh got a problem wit dat?)
Real men can make a living but can also be a stay at home dad.
Real men are leaders and also Real men are followers.
Real men are warriors and priests the balance.

Real men are all Aloha Puuwai, Pono Uhane. Aloha Mahalo

Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
can hold down a job. is kind to women and children and small animals. is not a coward. that is my version
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Here's a list of characteristics I'd think of when describing a "real man". Not sure if this has anything to do with physical appearance.Exudes confidence (not to the point of arrogance)Has it together (education, job, finances)ResponsibleCaring/CompassionateRespectfulRespectable
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Mentally and emotionally stable. True to himself, first and foremost. True to others as well. Can hear "no" and not throw a fit. Takes responsibility for himself and others. Humble and modest. He falls in love, he doesn't "hook up"...............
I see nothing here defining "real men" at all. You are just defining "good people". Everything you wrote in these definitions apply equally to women as well as men. I am seeing no distinction here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
A real man in my opinion. Works hard Knows how to use tools and likes to use them Doesn't wear pink Doesn't wear flip flops. Slide ons are different. Doesn't wear skinny jeans
And some of the definitions are so bad you just have to hope they were meant in comedy. But around here you can never be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
A real man has XY chromosomes. That's about it.
This however is more like it. Aside from the male role in reproduction - which is clearly biologically different to that of women - I see nothing else that constitutes a "real man" or a "real woman". Just "real people".

The phrase "real man" to me is just an empty attempt to suggest that some object of our ire has failed in some way. Much like theists call each other "True Christian" and not. It moves a conversation away from actual discussion - to throwing around general labels to make points for us. And when people shift from direct discussion to meta discussion in this fashion - you know its because they are on the retreat.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 AM

432 posts, read 362,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
The term "real men" gets thrown around on CD quite a bit. Can someone define it for me, I am quite curious what defines your "real man" here on CD.
Has his mind together, and as a result, his life and everyone around him is inadvertently affected in a positive manner. Unless one is being blatantly negative.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
The term "real men" gets thrown around on CD quite a bit. Can someone define it for me, I am quite curious what defines your "real man" here on CD.
Has a Y chromosome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships