Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,413,404 times

Advertisements

I met one of my closest friends on OKCupid. He's a 99% match with me. That's WAY too close for a romantic interest. You need a little friction and balance.

We're kind of like siblings. There has never been any sexual tension or chemistry, and there never will be. Objectively speaking, he's actually a decent-looking guy, but the idea of doing anything about that kinda makes me shudder. Pretty sure he feels the same way about me - I"m actually pretty accurate figuring out whether men are attracted to me, and I don't get any vibes from him like that.

I have a lot of male friends that I've met through work and mutual social circles. I've never really thought of any of them in a romantic sense, and only one has ever appeared to feel that way towards me. I told him I wasn't interested and that I knew we weren't a good fit, and years later, after he had been married for a while, he basically thanked me for preserving the friendship rather than starting a romance. I wasn't going to tank our friendship or create drama in our social circle for a romantic relationship I knew wouldn't work out - despite his feelings, there were too many dealbreakers and differing goals/values between us. And if he'd had a relationship with me, there was a good chance he would have never developed anything with his wife, who really IS his soulmate (that's a term I hate, but they really do have a wonderful marriage and fit each other perfectly, but not in a saccharine way). It was a very sweet conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,690,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Absolutely. I have made a few female friends, after I turned 30 years old, and we are still friends. So it's definitely possible
Where did you meet them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I met one of my closest friends on OKCupid. He's a 99% match with me. That's WAY too close for a romantic interest. You need a little friction and balance.

We're kind of like siblings. There has never been any sexual tension or chemistry, and there never will be. Objectively speaking, he's actually a decent-looking guy, but the idea of doing anything about that kinda makes me shudder. Pretty sure he feels the same way about me - I"m actually pretty accurate figuring out whether men are attracted to me, and I don't get any vibes from him like that.

I have a lot of male friends that I've met through work and mutual social circles. I've never really thought of any of them in a romantic sense, and only one has ever appeared to feel that way towards me. I told him I wasn't interested and that I knew we weren't a good fit, and years later, after he had been married for a while, he basically thanked me for preserving the friendship rather than starting a romance. I wasn't going to tank our friendship or create drama in our social circle for a romantic relationship I knew wouldn't work out - despite his feelings, there were too many dealbreakers and differing goals/values between us. And if he'd had a relationship with me, there was a good chance he would have never developed anything with his wife, who really IS his soulmate (that's a term I hate, but they really do have a wonderful marriage and fit each other perfectly, but not in a saccharine way). It was a very sweet conversation.
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,287 times
One at work, the others through mutual friends at get togethers like birthday parties.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM
SF

286 posts, read 325,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Platonic best friends? Is this possible?

I was watching the movie "Just go with it" (hilarious movie!) and I love the friendship dynamic the female and male lead have. It's like they were brother and sister who could be themselves and joked around with each other but never crossed the line of being too mean. Of course, I know they got together in the end, but nevermind that part.

I used to have male friends like this, but we became friends when we were younger. I know it's possible when you're young and super old, but now I'm wondering if two people who just met in their 30's or 40's can become best friends. What do you think?

Sure why not?

It looks practical to me and since you said they are in their 30's or 40's, hence they are mature enough to know their limits and so I don't think there will be any problems at all.Surely not a problem in this case

Hence in my view, it is definitely possible for a single man and a single woman to be best friends.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,001,109 times
No.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times
Quote:
A few years ago, I met one guy who became my friend and it was awesome. We both loved it but then he took a job somewhere else and moved away.
I met a guy on C-D who has become a very good friend. We've vacationed together--short, 2-3 day trips-- several times. We share a hotel room. We change clothes in the bathroom. We both snore. We're also a bit ornery at times. I like a little bit of attitude; it shows that you have some spunk. So, yes, men and women can be (just) friends.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,917,714 times
I have a middle aged guy friend. He and I are both available, and sometimes I think he regrets that we can't be a couple, but he knows it would never work. We get along like brother and sister, don't hesitate to tease each other or prod each other to do better.

I also have a few good guy friends from HS, but I think that's a different category because I am friends with their wives also.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 AM

20 posts, read 30,330 times
There is no age limit for friendship. If two people want to make friendship, then it is very easy. If two people understand each other and they are comfortable with each other, then they will become good friends in future. For friendship age doesn't matter.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,568,677 times
Quote:
Platonic best friends? Is this possible?

I was watching the movie "Just go with it" (hilarious movie!) and I love the friendship dynamic the female and male lead have. It's like they were brother and sister who could be themselves and joked around with each other but never crossed the line of being too mean. Of course, I know they got together in the end, but nevermind that part.

I used to have male friends like this, but we became friends when we were younger. I know it's possible when you're young and super old, but now I'm wondering if two people who just met in their 30's or 40's can become best friends. What do you think?
Yes, it's possible. Age really has nothing to do with it. Maturity does.

I think, at least from my experience, there is often an attraction at first. But if he is worth a fig and sticks around even after he knows nothing will come of it, there is room for a great friendship. It can be challenging for a lot of folks. But it takes a certain level of maturity and emotional intelligence to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships