Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM

285 posts, read 534,210 times

Advertisements

Basically I met someone cute online, who seems great so far. He asked me out for next week, but that's not the problem. He said he wants to take me surfing, but due to a past near-drowning incident, I totally don't want to do this. Is it okay to suggest another date location or is that rude?? Otherwise I would have to turn him down. I would much rather just meet for coffee or something casual first anyways. I'm working on my water issues and making progress, but I'm also a terrible swimmer so I think for safety sake, it's just better that I avoid intense oceanic activities for the time being lol. I feel weird disclosing this to someone I don't know yet, and I also worry he might think I'm high maintenance or something for not wanting to do it..

If someone asks you out and suggests a location or activity, but you don't like it, is it okay to suggest doing something else or should you just turn it down? Gosh I hate dating lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Dating can be a pain. Just be honest and tell him. If he thinks otherwise of you,It's not meant to be.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
Yep, I'd make a couple other suggestions. If he doesn't understand why you feel the way you do, it's best to know that now.

Why does he think you would even be good at surfing? Did you meet him on a surfing website?

Did I just say that? Surfing? Website? OMG, LOL

Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Yep, I'd make a couple other suggestions. If he doesn't understand why you feel the way you do, it's best to know that now.

Why does he think you would even be good at surfing? Did you meet him on a surfing website?

Lol, yes you did.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Yes!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
If someone asks you out and suggests a location or activity, but you don't like it, is it okay to suggest doing something else or should you just turn it down? Gosh I hate dating lol.
Unless you mentioned on your online profile that you like surfing, you should just tell the dude about your near death experience and come up with an alternative first date option. Easy peasy. Its not something to "turn him down" over, just come up with a different plan.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 PM

285 posts, read 534,210 times
Haha! No, definitely not a surfing website! And nothing in my profile about enjoying water whatsoever. But I live on the coast so it's pretty common for people to grow up doing water sports and whatnot here. A lot of younger guys want to do that stuff for dates but then think you're high maintenance if you don't like that kind of thing. I'll make another suggestion and see what he says. If he's one of those people who's in the water 24/7, I'd rather find that out now cause that would be a no-go!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Basically I met someone cute online, who seems great so far. He asked me out for next week, but that's not the problem. He said he wants to take me surfing, but due to a past near-drowning incident, I totally don't want to do this. Is it okay to suggest another date location or is that rude?? Otherwise I would have to turn him down. I would much rather just meet for coffee or something casual first anyways. I'm working on my water issues and making progress, but I'm also a terrible swimmer so I think for safety sake, it's just better that I avoid intense oceanic activities for the time being lol. I feel weird disclosing this to someone I don't know yet, and I also worry he might think I'm high maintenance or something for not wanting to do it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Dating can be a pain. Just be honest and tell him. If he thinks otherwise of you,It's not meant to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

yep, its perfectly fine to suggest an alternate date activity. and if he asks why, just be honest with him.

when ever i ask someone out for the first time, i ask then where they would like to go, with rare exception.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:

Just tell him you don't swim that well and you would prefer to hold off on the ocean activities until you are more secure with your swimming abilities.
Then suggest meeting for a milkshake somewhere, two straws.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 AM

818 posts, read 917,206 times
OP , its perfectly normal to request some other type of meeting. Never do anything where you are that uncomfortable. The first date is not really a date. Its meeting the person. A real man will meet you in the middle where you both are comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships