Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,348,353 times

Advertisements

As I posted some time back, my wife has gone back home.
She only took a few things with her - her laptop, phone, some clothes. But she left a lot of her other things. I believe that the stuff she left behind has sentimental value (her grandmother's old dishes, family photos, etc.)
So I decided, I'm going to just pack up her things and bring them out to her. A couple of my friends advised me not to: "She left it behind...it's yours." Or, "Throw it all in the trash!" You know what? She might have been wrong for the way she split, but it would be just as wrong on my part to NOT bring her her things. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I feel that by my bringing her belongings out to her, I'm being the honest and mature one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
Uh, ok? What am I missing? You want a pat on the back for not being a jerk or something?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Yes. I would think that would be obvious that's the right thing, but apparently it's not to some of your "friends."

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,809,158 times
I did exactly what you are thinking of. My ex-husband left me and ended up leaving the house with a lot of stuff left behind (including his grandfather's WW2 medals, photos, and other family heirlooms). I packed them up, but I didn't bring them to him. I just told them I had them and to come get them. Then I handed it all over to him. I would say you shouldn't go out of your way to deliver things, but let her know she can come get them.

It's better to be able to sleep well knowing one did the best thing/took the high road than to have a moment of revengeful pleasure and then have to live with yourself later.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,696 times
FedEx is your friend.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,031,325 times
Packing it up sounds like the right thing to do to me.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

11,809 posts, read 12,049,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I did exactly what you are thinking of. My ex-husband left me and ended up leaving the house with a lot of stuff left behind (including his grandfather's WW2 medals, photos, and other family heirlooms). I packed them up, but I didn't bring them to him. I just told them I had them and to come get them. Then I handed it all over to him. I would say you shouldn't go out of your way to deliver things, but let her know she can come get them.

It's better to be able to sleep well knowing one did the best thing/took the high road than to have a moment of revengeful pleasure and then have to live with yourself later.
^^^This.

I did the same thing when my ex-husband left. I packed up every last thing of his and put it all in the garage. He still had a garage key so he was able to come and get it and I didn't have to be there to deal with him. He did leave behind two bags of shoes and clothes that I discovered 2 years later, so I donated those to charity.

No matter what he did and how I felt, I absolutely could not destroy or otherwise get rid of his belongings. There is no satisfaction in that, and that would have made me no better than him. The opposite of love is not hate.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,246,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
She only took a few things with her - her laptop, phone, some clothes. But she left a lot of her other things. I believe that the stuff she left behind has sentimental value (her grandmother's old dishes, family photos, etc.)
So I decided, I'm going to just pack up her things and bring them out to her. A couple of my friends advised me not to: "She left it behind...it's yours." Or, "Throw it all in the trash!" You know what? She might have been wrong for the way she split, but it would be just as wrong on my part to NOT bring her her things. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I feel that by my bringing her belongings out to her, I'm being the honest and mature one.
She left. You are not obligated to bring those things to her. If they mean that much to her, let her make arrangements to have them picked up. Box everything up neatly and if you have a garage or attic, just put the boxes there. Frankly, you're not even obligated to box the stuff up. I would have someone come over to take a video of you putting her things in a box just that way she can't say anything is missing.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,833,199 times
Why not just ship it to her? It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to have an encounter with her.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:14 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,432,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Make her sorry butt come back and get it. Why would you bring it to her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships