Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,396,854 times

Advertisements

Aka- I'm not sure you're the one I want to marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM

102,288 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
My Bf and I have both finished university with a bachelor's degree, have good jobs, make a little more than 60k a year each. He has no debt. I have a bit of student loans but should be done paying that off very soon. But other than that, I also have no debt. He keeps saying he wants to be financially stable and have everything lined up before he gets married. I use to believe strongly in this concept but I'm starting to lose faith in it because it just seems so inaccurate and like another way of saying, "I'm scared and I'm not ready." My thinking is, "So are we to put our entire lives on hold because you're not close enough to being rich?" It just bothers me.

What say you guys? Is financial stability a necessity for marriage?
He already is financially stable. What more needs to be lined up? Maybe you should be looking around for a new guy, one more interested in getting serious.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,876,422 times
Quote:
My Bf and I have both finished university with a bachelor's degree, have good jobs, make a little more than 60k a year each. He has no debt. I have a bit of student loans but should be done paying that off very soon. But other than that, I also have no debt. He keeps saying he wants to be financially stable and have everything lined up before he gets married. I use to believe strongly in this concept but I'm starting to lose faith in it because it just seems so inaccurate and like another way of saying, "I'm scared and I'm not ready." My thinking is, "So are we to put our entire lives on hold because you're not close enough to being rich?" It just bothers me.

Translation: he's just not that into you.

Sorry.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,003,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
OP, I think there are a few important questions to answer before a person can give you a proper answer.

1. How old are the two of you?
2. How long have you been a couple?
3. What state do you live in? I know 120K is great in some places and just okay in others
4. How long have you been working? Did you just get these jobs and been only working for a year? Maybe he wants to accumulate enough for a downpayment, wedding, ring, honeymoon, etc etc etc

Hard to say if he's worried about finances or just wasting your time

Hey Stockyman, to answer your questions:

1. I'm 23, he's 24.
2. We've been a serious couple for going on 2 years but we have known each other since high school.
3. I don't want to say what state, but east coast. He has just bought himself a home which will not even render him house poor and that he can pay for on his salary alone. I helped him find it.
4. We've been working for a little over a year. He can afford a ring.

I've asked him a lot of the questions you all have asked me here but I get a mixed message feeling from him. I asked him to clarify and he suddenly began to say the issue isn't financial (though that was his first statement) and then that it was mental. So I'm getting the feeling that he isn't really interested in marriage at this point but doesn't want to say it. I do think that he's putting obstacles in the way. I have asked him, "What is it that you need in order to feel comfortable?" and he suddenly seemed to get irritated so I'm starting to realize that the issue is not "money" or anything that he's been saying so much as it is that he's just not comfortable and ready for marriage, possibly marriage to me. I think if I am to be very honest with myself, we are in two different places in our lives now. I would ask him for further explanation, but sometimes I just need to pay attention to my gut because he'll try to explain it away. He can't seem to stop thinking about anything but his career and that's not going to change. I am applying for graduate school, but I know that career advancement is not my everything. I can think about and pursue other things and I don't believe that marriage (or even engagement) is a step that will bar from that. If I ever bring this stuff up to him, he starts feeling "pressured". So I'm kind of getting the same message you guys are getting.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM

102,288 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Hey Stockyman, to answer your questions:

1. I'm 23, he's 24.
2. We've been a serious couple for going on 2 years but we have known each other since high school.
3. I don't want to say what state, but east coast. He has just bought himself a home which will not even render him house poor and that he can pay for on his salary alone. I helped him find it.
4. We've been working for a little over a year. He can afford a ring.

I've asked him a lot of the questions you all have asked me here but I get a mixed message feeling from him. I asked him to clarify and he suddenly began to say the issue isn't financial (though that was his first statement) and then that it was mental..
23 and 24 are really young for marriage by today's standards. And you've only been going out/serious for 2 years? Give him some time to ripen. How well do you two get along, btw?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,882,125 times
Quote:

Don't panic my friend

You are still really young and his attitude is not so uncommon.

And it does not necessarily mean "you aren't the one" or that he expects to be rich before getting married.

He probably is a little scared, but that's no crime and no reason to doubt him either.

Just give him some time! You've each only been out in the "real world" (of making a paycheck) a pretty short time, relatively speaking.

I know you have visions of wedding bells and bliss but give him time to catch up. I'm betting he'll get there!

Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
23 and 24 are really young for marriage by today's standards. And you've only been going out/serious for 2 years? Give him some time to ripen. How well do you two get along?
We get along very well. My thing is I feel like he wants to continue going forward with the relationship without all the responsibility that comes with it. But when I ask him about the relationship and where it's going, he's suddenly pressured.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:53 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,349,008 times
Quote:
We get along very well. My thing is I feel like he wants to continue going forward with the relationship without all the responsibility that comes with it. But when I ask him about the relationship and where it's going, he's suddenly pressured.
You've both been working for just a year?

Cut him some slack.

You are very young. If he's not talking marriage after another year, you might need to sit him down and have a chat.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,016,708 times
I agree that, at your age, most people (women and men) are not ready for marriage. I don't know if you are different.

How do you hope that being married will change things? Can you make those changes by some other method?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't panic my friend

You are still really young and his attitude is not so uncommon.

And it does not necessarily mean "you aren't the one" or that he expects to be rich before getting married.

He probably is a little scared, but that's no crime and no reason to doubt him either.

Just give him some time! You've each only been out in the "real world" (of making a paycheck) a pretty short time, relatively speaking.

I know you have visions of wedding bells and bliss but give him time to catch up. I'm betting he'll get there!
I'm trying very hard to give him space. I don't text him much, he usually calls me, many times when we hang out he doesn't want me to leave and many times even wants me to stay the night (to which I turn down). He wants me to live with him. Why? It's like he wants to do everything like a married couple without the title and I don't think that's a good idea. I know he's scared. He won't say it, but I can sense it. My thing is, if I try to talk to him about the relationship he comes up with reasons as to why he's not ready but when I ask him to clarify, he gets defensive. But I'm not comfortable with the idea of moving forward physically without the responsibility that comes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships