Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times

Advertisements

Wow. I understand--even though I don't agree with the negative responses.

For me, the emphasis is on how it taught me to love unconditionally, how to accept love, how to recognize it from infatuation....lust...and maybe, just maybe, what I learned from the love I lost will lead me to love again. I feel for anyone who doesn't have the courage to love like that. It's at top of my list of most tragic things in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post

For me, the emphasis is on how it taught me to love unconditionally, how to accept love, how to recognize it from infatuation....lust...and maybe, just maybe, what I learned from the love I lost will lead me to love again. I feel for anyone who doesn't have the courage to love like that. It's at top of my list of most tragic things in life.
Why pity us? Save the pity for someone who deserves it like a child with cancer or a soldier who lost a limb.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Why pity us? Save the pity for someone who deserves it like a child with cancer or a soldier who lost a limb.
Where does it say pity? I said 'feel for'. That's something you do when you can relate to someone else's experiences. It's called empathy. Not sympathy.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
As someone who has been truly in love and lost it....no, it's not better. I wish I had never met her because then I'd never know what I was missing.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Where does it say pity? I said 'feel for'. That's something you do when you can relate to someone else's experiences. It's called empathy. Not sympathy.
I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Just sayin' though.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
As someone who has been truly in love and lost it....no, it's not better. I wish I had never met her because then I'd never know what I was missing.

Carl Thomas - I Wish - YouTube

One of the last great love songs in my opinion.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
I'm so relieved I don't agree with this. I'd be a poor person indeed if I'd never loved or been loved but not knowing what you're missing doesn't make it better or easier. It just means you never got to feel what it was like and you get to leave this life never having experienced the greatest thing on earth--true, unconditional love.

Here's why; I came from an abused childhood. I had boyfriends as a teen that I thought I was in love with but never experienced real, true, unconditional love til I was 18. Suddenly, I knew what it felt like to be loved. I thought it was supposed to be the way it was growing up and as a teen. I had no idea it could be the way it is when it's real. I felt loved for the first time in my life. That ended due to circumstances beyond our control, but I never forgot how it could be. It made me a better person. I showed me how to love others in my life better and how to love unconditionally. I'd go through it all over again--even the loss part--just to experience it once more. And I am. And I may lose again. But it's worth every bit of risk.

I can see where you're coming from with this. I would like to amend my previous statement- Never loving or being loved at all could hurt just as badly as loving someone and losing them somehow. I did neglect to consider the fact that even when love isn't concerned, the feeling of "something is missing" can happen... so yeah. Especially in this day and age, when all you ever see on the tube is people who are in relationships, or are even just dating or (a few cuts below that) "hooking up." (ugh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I guess I'm a pessimist because I would rather not go through the loss. I know I don't recover well from it.
It takes me a while, too.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:20 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
From the looks of what half of these people go through for so called 'love' I can't see how it could be worth it....

Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM

86 posts, read 99,363 times
although I have never been in love I would say it is better to have loved. I have been close several times but I either ruin it or fail to take thdRe opportunity. I hope someday to get it right.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:

Seeing that a lot of us here have been hurt in the past I guess to some extent we become gunshy so to speak. Sure those who haven't loved yet don't know understand the heartbreak the rest of us has. We tend to remember those times we've had our heart broken yet at the same time we remember those we've loved as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships