Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM

113 posts, read 113,126 times

Advertisements

has anybody ever been able to figure this out?

I've literally seen 100s and 100s of men, many good looking/cool guys who are able to have success in real life, say that the only way they got any responses at all online is to go after women way less attractive than themselves. That really seems to be the only way to succeed as a man in OLD - if you're good looking, fit, young, successful, go after 35 year old overweight moms

What causes the monstrous disparity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,949,527 times
Could just be that women are just looking to see how many men message them.

Could be that there are men impersonating women online. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I think there's some statistic out there or something.

Could be inactive accounts that are still on the website.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 PM

113 posts, read 113,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Could just be that women are just looking to see how many men message them.

Could be that there are men impersonating women online. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I think there's some statistic out there or something.

but why are all these issues gender specific?

Why are most online dating sites overflowing with men? don't men and women both want to meet someone equally?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM

898 posts, read 935,425 times
This has essentially been my experience. I'm not going for overweight moms. But the vast majority of girls who are responsive (only after I initiate) aren't that attractive or fit.

I'm sure the attractive and slightly-attractive women get absolutely bombarded by every guy imaginable though. Therefore, it probably crowds out a good portion of the decent male population (those who actually want more than just a hook up).

Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 PM

50,322 posts, read 35,948,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony7X View Post
has anybody ever been able to figure this out?

I've literally seen 100s and 100s of men, many good looking/cool guys who are able to have success in real life, say that the only way they got any responses at all online is to go after women way less attractive than themselves. That really seems to be the only way to succeed as a man in OLD - if you're good looking, fit, young, successful, go after 35 year old overweight moms

What causes the monstrous disparity?
I don't think there is such a disparity. I am very attractive for my age with a good body to boot, and I date men who are less attractive than I am quite often. I will have a coffee or drink meet with just about anyone local who seems interesting and normal. Is there a trusted friend or family member who can critique your profile and pics for you, maybe there is something in there that you don't see that is making women not responsive to you?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:08 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,246,505 times
It's also been my experience when I was online dating. I would say 80% are 30+ overweight single moms. It was hard to find a woman around my age that didn't have 1-3 kids 20-30lbs overweight.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,782,174 times
My online dating experience was lots of guys spamming me with "hi! how r u" and every guy that could actually construct a sentence was looking for a third (so to speak), was crazier than a bag of cats, or if he was normal figured I was his soul mate and wanted to talk marriage after a couple of dates (moved way, way too fast for me). Didn't help that I rather get to know a man first, figure out if I like him, THEN date. I never could get the hang of the whole "date a stranger" thing. So I stopped OLD. Of course, I think online dating experience varies by age, area, and site you are on too.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
Hundreds and hundreds? Wow, you are a popular dude. And none of those guys can hook you up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony7X View Post
but why are all these issues gender specific?
Supply and demand.

Quote:
Why are most online dating sites overflowing with men? don't men and women both want to meet someone equally?
No. Men usually outnumber women anywhere people are looking to meet romantically. I've heard online dating is a particular sausage fest.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,586,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
This is what I believe to be true. Or, they are fake to give the sense of hope.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,628,211 times
I have success in real life and in the little bit of online dating I've done, had no results. I asked some semi-attractive women how many emails they get daily and they said it's sometimes hundreds, usually at least a hundred a day.

That's just insane. I'll stick to in person, works better. Even the most approachable attractive woman can't be getting approached in person more then a dozen times a day, I'll take that over a few hundred. Plus I feel like my bio comes off as made up or exaggerated even though it isn't, so either I neuter myself and blend in with the masses or come off as fake or full-o-myself. I'm kind of awesome like that I guess, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships