Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:02 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

By his own I mean without any roomates. I'm assuming most women prefer a man to at least make enough money to afford a place on his own by a certain age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It depends. If a guy's living with his parents or with roommates because he's saving up for a downpayment on a house, and/or paying off student loans, that's a good reason to be in a shared household. Even so, just ball-park, I'd say by 30+ someone should have that stuff taken care of.

It's a tough job market. I think it's fair to cut people some slack.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
There's no one set answer to your question.

Much depends on a guys personal situation.

In general I'd say by 22, though again that can depend, and room-mates are not usually an issue for women in the dating stage. After you establish a serious relationship with a woman she might prefer you quit living with a room-mate.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Depends a lot on the situation.

I think the same applies to women, as well. I got quite suddenly and unexpectedly shown the door by somebody I'd been cohabiting with for years when I was 35, and, as a modest wage-earning teacher, had I not been fortunate/smart enough to have socked away some savings, would have found myself in my midthirties looking for roommates (or even moving in with family, had I not lived states away from them). While I had ZERO desire to live with roommates, etc. after having lived on my own or with a romantic partner for over a decade, it could have very easily happened. I try to remember that, and I'm not going to dog some guy who is doing whatever he needs to do to make his ends meet, so long as I ultimately find his sense of fiscal responsibility to be compatible with mine. Sh*t happens, and people do what they need to do. It's important to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I think the same applies to women, as well. I got quite suddenly and unexpectedly shown the door by somebody I'd been cohabiting with for years when I was 35, and, as a modest wage-earning teacher, had I not been fortunate/smart enough to have socked away some savings, would have found myself in my midthirties looking for roommates (or even moving in with family, had I not lived states away from them). While I had ZERO desire to live with roommates, etc. after having lived on my own or with a romantic partner for over a decade, it could have very easily happened. I try to remember that, and I'm not going to dog some guy who is doing whatever he needs to do to make his ends meet, so long as I ultimately find his sense of fiscal responsibility to be compatible with mine. Sh*t happens, and people do what they need to do. It's important to look at it on a case-by-case basis.
Bingo - end of thread!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Yes, people shouldn't be judged for doing what they need to do to get back on their feet. A mass layoff can happen to anyone. Or a mortgage implosion, or divorce. Or chronic illness sapping one's bank account. Stuff can happen at any stage in life.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
In Washington, it is not unheard of to find men 40 and over who live with roommates due to the high rent here.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM

128 posts, read 201,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends. If a guy's living with his parents or with roommates because he's saving up for a downpayment on a house, and/or paying off student loans, that's a good reason to be in a shared household. Even so, just ball-park, I'd say by 30+ someone should have that stuff taken care of.

It's a tough job market. I think it's fair to cut people some slack.
I agree by 30 depends, , why waste money on a rent with roomates when could save it for future, only way i move out is by romantic relationship future wife etc

Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
My Uncle did not move out until he was 35, my Brother has been back and forth with my Mother for years and he is currently staying with her, he is 54. I am grateful that he lives with her because he is there when she needs help and in case something happens. She is 73 and has been handicapped all of her life. She has an apartment in the basement so he lives in the same home yet they have separate homes and it works out great for them both.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I normally would say a number, but since the job market has been for crap the last several yrs and all of the "boomerang kids", that sort of makes it a bit harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships