Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Dishonesty is the ultimate slippery slope, though. Somebody who has no problem justifying small fabrications may have no issue justifying larger ones.

In a dating profile, all a lie does is expose an insecurity...never an attractive thing.
I agree with this. Trust is a fragile thing. Why start out a relationship with a lie? If someone doesn't like you for who you are or how you look that's their loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM

898 posts, read 937,588 times
I think lying is a big deal. I would not want to associate that person if I found out they betrayed my trust that early on in a relationship.

OP, you try to pin this on the person who's "supposed to handle the lying" while taking away the blame from the perpetrator of the lies. That seems highly unreasonable. It's not acceptable to lie, especially not to someone whom you're trying to establish trust with. Because maybe it's just a small lie today. But down the road it might turn into bigger and bigger lies.

Maybe instead people should take responsibility for themselves. If they are overweight, don't lie about it. Fix it by eating better and exercising. If you are of a certain age, don't lie about it. Just accept the fact that your dating pool has shifted to another demographic.

Advocating lying or dismissing it is not fair to those of us who are honest and are expecting honest people to be part of our lives.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
You think I'm making too big a deal out of it. Seems a number of people here agree with me on this. We don't think it's making too big a deal out of it. Different strokes. If you want to date liars and insecure manipulators, go ahead. But I will say that if I were a man and I wanted kids, and a woman in her 40s lied about being in her 30s, I'd be annoyed and dropkick her then and there. Those few years do make a difference in terms of having kids.

At any rate, I don't have to settle for people who can't be honest about the smallest thing.
Ah yes. The appeal to popularity. That's a logical fallacy.

Appeals to popularity suggest that an idea must be true simply because it is widely held. This is a fallacy because popular opinion can be, and quite often is, mistaken. Hindsight makes this clear: there were times when the majority of the population believed that the Earth is the still centre of the universe, and that diseases are caused by evil spirits; neither of these ideas was true, despite its popularity.

BTW, do you wear makeup? Cause I could make a case that that's a form of dishonesty. After all, you're covering up your face to hide your flaws and make yourself look more attractive. If a woman wears makeup to mislead me, should I now conclude that she's insecure and lies about other things too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow, you really love to lie to yourself don't you?

BTW, lying is always a big deal.
How am I lying to myself? And no, lying ISN'T always a big deal. What matters is what you lied about, the degree of dishonesty, and your intent. See my makeup example above.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Really? You're gonna equate good grooming with being a liar? Okay, then.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
OP, you try to pin this on the person who's "supposed to handle the lying" while taking away the blame from the perpetrator of the lies. That seems highly unreasonable. It's not acceptable to lie, especially not to someone whom you're trying to establish trust with. Because maybe it's just a small lie today. But down the road it might turn into bigger and bigger lies.
Show me where I try to pin this on the person who's supposed to handle the lying. Show me where I take away blame from the person who lied.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really? You're gonna equate good grooming with being a liar? Okay, then.
No, actually I'm just showing the flawed arguments people are employing here. They're making a big stink over someone misleading them when they themselves probably do things that qualify as misleading too.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:47 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Ah yes. The appeal to popularity. That's a logical fallacy.

I'm not debating with you. I am saying that just because YOU think others are making too big a deal out of lying, that doesn't mean they are. It's a personal choice. We could just as easily say you are not making enough of a big deal out of it, but if you are okay with people lying to you, that's your business. I really could not care less whether you date liars.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I'm not debating with you. I am saying that just because YOU think others are making too big a deal out of lying, that doesn't mean they are. It's a personal choice. We could just as easily say you are not making enough of a big deal out of it, but if you are okay with people lying to you, that's your business. I really could not care less whether you date liars.
I noticed that you avoided answering my question about makeup. Cause there's nothing misleading about hiding the flaws on your face, right?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
Quote:
And that's my point. It's not a big lie. She lied about her age because she didn't want guys to filter her out from search results, not because she was trying to hurt me.
Huh? Okay so using your example, she wasn't trying to HURT you, she was trying to MANIPULATE you. So that isn't bad?

imho anyone who thinks lying is acceptable is willing to lie, and I personally don't need any more of that.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Quote:
I noticed that you avoided answering my question about makeup. Cause there's nothing misleading about hiding the flaws on your face, right?
Actually, I have no flaws on my face. Thanks for playing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships