Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:41 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

How does it change your feeling about an interaction, if you use one word or the other one?

For me, if I ask some one out and they say no, if I think of them as declining my invitation, it feels neutral, and not a big deal. If I think of them as rejecting me, that sounds like they did something hurtful to me.

This is one of the most powerful tools that PUA websites, etc. use to prevent men from getting dates, while keeping them hooked with the idea that in just a few clicks more, they will get dates.

By constantly framing a woman saying no as 'rejection', they program (male) readers' unconscious minds with the message that women who say no are taking aggressive action to hurt the men they decline. They make you feel like women are hurting you, and like it would be a rational response to get angry. Then women pick up on that anger, and are even more likely to say no, and you feel even more like you need PUA to help you.

It's pretty clever marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Most people expect others to handle rejection for what it is and would probably see the term "Turning down an invitation" as sugarcoating it.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
How does it change your feeling about an interaction, if you use one word or the other one?

For me, if I ask some one out and they say no, if I think of them as declining my invitation, it feels neutral, and not a big deal. If I think of them as rejecting me, that sounds like they did something hurtful to me.

This is one of the most powerful tools that PUA websites, etc. use to prevent men from getting dates, while keeping them hooked with the idea that in just a few clicks more, they will get dates.

By constantly framing a woman saying no as 'rejection', they program (male) readers' unconscious minds with the message that women who say no are taking aggressive action to hurt the men they decline. They make you feel like women are hurting you, and like it would be a rational response to get angry. Then women pick up on that anger, and are even more likely to say no, and you feel even more like you need PUA to help you.

It's not about that. It's about numbers.

If 100 men 'declined your invitation' and you declined none, then you don't have the mindset that you have now. There's men who have rejected almost as many women as they have been rejected by and they are able to see it more of a 'just not a right match' sort of way. It's kinda hard to rationalize it as 'just not a match' when 100 women you like have decided you are not a match for them, but you have rejected zero.

Well, the CD forum users say, that just means you're a loser who repels women because you are a detestable human being and you need to completely make yourself over. Well, that mentality isn't too useful either.

A better mindset is that men (or you at least) just have to approach, and rejection is part of the game.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Most people expect to handle rejection for what it is and would probably see the term "Turning down an invitation" as sugarcoating it.
Yeah. Rejection is rejection. They just didn't like you, which can be very upsetting. Nothing to do but try to find another target-suppose of you get rejected enough, you get numb to it, and handle it better.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Rejection sucks.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Terminology matters. And it seems many jump to the most negative, dramatic option, for effect? To bolster their role of victim? if a guy asks me out, if my friend asks me to do something, if a Girl Scout asks me to buy cookies, saying no to all of them is declining their offer, not rejecting them as people.

But the marketing sure explains a lot of the hatred we see here, because I've never understood why some guys are so angry toward women.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
It's not about that. It's about numbers.

If 100 men 'declined your invitation' and you declined none, then you don't have the mindset that you have now. There's men who have rejected almost as many women as they have been rejected by and they are able to see it more of a 'just not a right match' sort of way. It's kinda hard to rationalize it as 'just not a match' when 100 women you like have decided you are not a match for them, but you have rejected zero.

Well, the CD forum users say, that just means you're a loser who repels women because you are a detestable human being and you need to completely make yourself over. Well, that mentality isn't too useful either.

A better mindset is that men (or you at least) just have to approach, and rejection is part of the game.
Detestable, wow that's a strong word for someone who can't get a date. I would think a detestable human being would be someone who rapes, tortures and murders children and innocent people or mooches off of others with no ambition to go out and get their own. I mean the two can overlap sometimes but not always.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:03 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
I got this off the 'net:

REJECTION:

the dismissing or refusing of a proposal, idea, etc.
"the union decided last night to recommend rejection of the offer"
synonyms: refusal, declining, turning down, dismissal, spurning
"a rejection of the offer"

repudiation, rebuff, spurning, abandonment, desertion;

informal: brush-off;

literary: forsaking

"Madeleine's rejection of him"
the spurning of a person's affections.
"some people are reluctant to try it, because they fear rejection"

I define it depending on how much I have invested in a woman. Like the last definition implies, some affection needs to be involved. So if I don't know the woman much, or at all, and we've only had a good chat, but she turns me down when I ask for her number, I'll take it as "not a match", and move on. If I know her from somewhere and have started to get interested, and have gotten along with her well on an informal basis to the point that I'm hoping we can go out and get to the official couple stage, I'll feel rejected if she brushes me off.

But another definition there is a basic brush-off. So, it is what you want it to be. Take your pick.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
If you ask me out and I reply with "Thank you but I have a BF", or some variation, then I am rejecting the idea of going out with you; if you ask me out and I say "I'm sorry I'm busy on Friday, but I am clear next weekend!", then I have declined your invitation.

No, I don't consider those definitions written in stone, but that's how I categorize them in my mind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Hmm....ya think? That would explain a few things about this forum. It's sad, really. I don't think anyone needs to get angry, unless someone has been rude. There's no call for rudeness, unless someone's been pestering a person, and hasn't taken "no" for an answer, or something.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-18-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships