Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 PM

785 posts, read 954,668 times

Advertisements

Marry or serious relationship. Say they have 20K and up in debt. They pay things off on time. They may not be the most responsible with money (e.g. shopping a lot, not saving money, etc) but in other areas the relationship is good.

Would debt and poor spending habits detract you from this person? The biggest cause of divorce is financial issues. Something to think about.

When I mention spending habits, this is what I've experienced with some girls that aren't 'great' spending habits:

-won't do basic car maintenance, but will spend money on clothes they don't need
-will spend a lot of money on their hair and mani/pedi. I do care if a girl takes care of themselves though. attention to detail, but within reason
-expects you to pay all the time when going out, yet has frivolous spending habits
-eats out a lot. I am guilty of this some, but that is a leak in your budget
-lives out of their means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
My ex spent all our money on hookers and strippers. I worked my tail off while going to high school and saved every penny. I think it took him two months.

He also had a gas guzzling vehicle that he wouldn't trade in for a more reliable and cheaper vehicle.

I hightailed it outta there.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 PM

113 posts, read 113,340 times
it's a big turnoff. I don't care if you don't make much money but be able to live within your means, don't be high maintenance and don't accrue a lot of debt

I don't mind paying for everything or nearly everything as long as the other person appreciates it and has a good perspective about everything...and also doesn't ask me to take her to a 5 star restaurant all the time

Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
We have well over 20K in debt if you want to include our mortgage and I wouldn't fault someone for having that kind of debt...within reason of course. If you can barely afford the mortgage but you just HAD to have a giant house because all your friends do, then I would not be well matched with that person.

Spending habits..if they can afford them it wouldn't bother me. I don't mean scraping pennies together to pay bills, but if they can pay their bills and have enough money to put towards savings/retirement then what they do with their money wouldn't be a concern for me.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 08-14-2014 at 09:28 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,391 times
Hell No! Not even if the whole world bows to her beauty every time she walks by.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Been there, done that! I was married to a man who thought bills were going to pay for themselves. I'd rather jump into a volcano than marry another one like that.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
I could not deal with anyone that can't manage money and drags me down with them, I am lucky I married the person I did.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 PM

70 posts, read 155,351 times
My best friend was married to a woman, who came to the marriage with bad credit. He helped her rebuild it in a year, to where she was able to get low interest credit cards. After he helped her, she stole tens of thousands of dollars from him, like 50-60K in less than a month....IMO, it's not even worth it.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
My Husband had very large financial obligations when I met him and he still had a lot of those financial obligations when we got married.
The difference is I know exactly why he had large financial obligations and we worked for 8 years, together to get all of our debts paid in full (I had some student loan debt).
We have been debt free for about 5 years now and we will continue to work together to remain debt free.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My Husband had very large financial obligations when I met him and he still had a lot of those financial obligations when we got married.
The difference is I know exactly why he had large financial obligations and we worked for 8 years, together to get all of our debts paid in full (I had some student loan debt).
We have been debt free for about 5 years now and we will continue to work together to remain debt free.
Sounds like you make a good team!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships