Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Social Experiment. Vote before you look
For women. I pick A 6 9.09%
For women. I pick B 14 21.21%
For women I pick C 6 9.09%
For men. I pick A 4 6.06%
For men I pick B 21 31.82%
For men I pick C 15 22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

Advertisements

Also, i think "tall" is not always a sexy criteria for men as not all are tall.

And no one ever wants an overweight person, unless they are overweight or have a fetish maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:37 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Yep. Which imply a value judgment of their attractiveness.

I don't mesh well with super outgoing/extroverted people, so "C" is most likely a no. And I'm not a pickup truck kind of woman, and the vision I get is a Midwestern or Southern guy with his "manly man" personality. Not my thing.

So... that leaves "A" who I may have things in common with. He'd be educated, and the "timid" part may imply he's introverted. But "boring" is a negative value judgment, and is quite subjective. Boring in what way, exactly? Is he a complete fun sponge? Is he only absorbed in his work, doesn't have any interests or hobbies, isn't part of a large social group? Or, is he introverted? He likes to relax, read, is more of a homebody, writes, draws, has a small group of friends, prefers small gatherings, is more introspective and cerebral? All of which can seem boring to others, especially really extroverted types who need to "do" things, and be "on" all the time. If "A" is, say, 5'8" or 5'9" he'd likely be my pick if I were being set up with someone and these were my options. Switch out the incomes between "A" and "C" and the former would still pique my curiosity more so than the others.
I'm just going to quote this because I had a similar reaction.

While I do like some extroverts, not so much the energizer bunny types (who exhaust me, even if they can be charming). I don't mind a cognitive extrovert who is more ambiverted in interaction style though.

The "boring, timid" guy might be fascinating to me, and he seems to have potential to be the most intellectual. Of course, I'd prefer someone in better shape. I'm 5'7 but have dated men shorter than me, and 5'8 is no deal-breaker. The income means even less to me. 30K and my income is plenty for a lifestyle I'd be comfortable with.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:56 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
For men, I pick B.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
I'm a man (well, a guy) and I pick A! 100,000$ a year is something! That's not only about the money, though. It depends on the personality. I like that personality described there.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Yoga instructor? 30k a year? Owns a car and a house?

I say hells to the yeah.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
I want to date a hippie woman who owns a van with two sleeping bags in the back and drives around looking for enlightenment.

Seriously... what is with the obsession with jobs and possessions on this site? I think it's probably a big part of why everyone is so socially retarded.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
I would pick all three women.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
No idea unless I met all three. All three have issues that might be problems.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
These guys sound so generic. I wish there was an option for neither, either or, or possibly any combo of the above.
Same here. As an accountant, I found the use of the "boring" stereotype insulting. Why can't the yoga instructor be boring-as in all she talks about is fitness and nutrition?

Right now, I could use a little boring in my life, truth be told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Also, i think "tall" is not always a sexy criteria for men as not all are tall.
And not all women want a man who towers over them. At 5'4," I'm ideally looking for someone who is 5'5" - 5'9", maybe 5'10" tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I'm a man (well, a guy) and I pick A! 100,000$ a year is something!
Depends on where you live. I pulled up a random cost of living comparison site. Based on my current salary, I'd need to make $116k in NYC and $103k in San Fransisco but only $73k in Fort Lauderdale and $62k in Las Vegas to maintain my current standard of living.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:50 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I wouldn't pick any of the options, really. You should have had at least one option for an intellectual who may be overweight and may not be rich but was interesting and might win a Nobel!

But I picked a male B because I've learned over time that a person who can do practical things well is worth his or her weight in gold.

It doesn't matter how much money you have - having money doesn't guarantee that you'll successfully be able to hire a good handyman to fix the well/catch the raccoon/fix the brakes.

At this point, if I could find a good handyman I'd marry him no matter how dumb, poor, or ugly he is. And really, a good handyman is unlikely to be either dumb or poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships