Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times

Advertisements

.......................nothing comes up on them. The most you get is a name and an address (let's say you have that much to go on).

First level as in google search and free.

What's your reaction from there?

(derived from "when do you give your last name in dating")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,400,248 times
My reaction initially (assuming you are referring to a total stranger you just met and have no idea what they're about whether or not you met them online?) don't check at all.

Half the background check is fabricated. Try running a check on your last name and first name, and all the names associated to you that you're not even associated to or companies you've worked for but haven't.

They're not really reliable IMO. So, get to know the person and go with the flow. Then do a background check later (i.e., credit check) if you plan on marrying the dude. Credit checks at least tell you how they're spending their money and how responsible they are. How people treat their money can also be indicative of their level of impulsivity, a little more telling of what they're behaviorally capable of (thinking, planning, judgment, forethought), sorta like how they care about their health among their other significant choices in life.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 AM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Call me old fashioned but I would rather get to know the person, rather than rely on google.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,572,387 times
Count me in as old fashioned too. If I want to know something I'll ask.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 AM

250 posts, read 399,104 times
If we're dating and I find out you did a background check on me, you're gone. Even though there's not much to see , and absolutely nothing I won't talk about.. You're a creepy stalker chick and I can't be far enough away from you. The end.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,205,322 times
I would do a minor background check BUT I HAVE SEVERE TRUST ISSUES.

People lie all the time. I'l still ask some questions and still want to get to know them, but better be safe than sorry.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
If we're dating and I find out you did a background check on me, you're gone. Even though there's not much to see , and absolutely nothing I won't talk about.. You're a creepy stalker chick and I can't be far enough away from you. The end.
Oh, well! I'm a 'spy', I do things like that!

But, actually, I was asking the question from a background check done on me.......and nothing shows up at all. No pictures, no postings, no nothing........beyond the name and address.

How does one react when their date is someone "without a past"?

As far as how I relate to that........you know what the hardest part is? Continuing to relate to a person, face to face, cheek to cheek, as if you don't know.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,825,685 times
A Google search is not a "background check" by any stretch of the imagination. But if I were to do a Google search on an adult and absolutely nothing came up, I would first assume that I misspelled his name or had incorrect data. If the spelling was correct I'd guess that the individual did not own property (in his name). He did not have a license through a local, state or federal government agency. He never authored a publication, or spoke in public. He never ran for public office, never won any awards, or spear-headed an event, such as a fund-raiser. He'd never been involved in a lawsuit or interviewed by a journalist about anything. He did not own a company nor was he on any board of directors. I'd assume that this person wasn't involved in their community. If he had friends and family, they did not mention him in their social media accounts or online photo albums.
I could go on.

I would be suspicious, mainly because deadbeats who are hiding from debt collectors can be very savvy about not having any assets in their name and staying off the radar. You know, the type of man who doesn't want to pay child support. It would be a red flag for me, personally.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
.......................nothing comes up on them. The most you get is a name and an address (let's say you have that much to go on).

A full name and address is enough for me. I don't Google people hoping to find dirt. I just like to verify that they are who they say they are, and like to get some identifying information in case they turn out to be psycho.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 AM

432 posts, read 361,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

This is the most insane and insecure thread/statement/action I've ever read. Are you trying to be a detective or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships