Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times

Advertisements

I'm actually in a situation just like this but on the other side. It's so eery, I thought the OP was the girl in question, but looking at her profile, she's not, plus I don't use OKC.

I was actually thinking that I hope she doesn't move on until I get back from out of town when we have a date set up.

People have lives. I got her number about 6 days before I was set to go out of town for 10 days, she could not meet up those 6 days because she was busy, and I needed to travel for 10 days to help my family with some issues which was planned before hand. After that I'll have a lull for about 10 days, but then I'm quite busy for 2 weeks after that. So, it may easily be a good 5-6 weeks after first contact that we can actually start spending some quality time. That assumes she can wait that long.

People have lives and they don't just stop when we find someone compelling, as much as we might like it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't think you should be. A real conversation can reveal an awful lot about a person, and you cannot have a real conversation via texts.
I do prefer talking over texting, but I think it's been a few years since a guy has actually made an effort to call me (even after the initial meeting), and the last guy who did ended up being married anyway. lol

Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I don't like talking on the phone. I don't think this is the kiss of death. It sounds like a genuine case of just being too busy to meet and not that he's dodging you or isn't actually interested in meeting.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
People have lives and they don't just stop when we find someone compelling, as much as we might like it to.
^^^This.

The OP already has plans to meet up with him the day after he returns from vacation. Part of the delay is he already had a vacation lined up, so it's not as if he's stalling on purpose. If he returns and then starts balking at getting together and putting it off further, then I'd forget it and move on.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I typically like to meet a guy within a week of making contact - I don't like to go back and forth for weeks. So a few weeks ago, I emailed a guy who seemed to have a lot in common with me. He lives about 90 minutes away and we have conflicting schedules. Really, I don't mind the distance or the schedule issue.

But we've been texting back and forth for almost 3 weeks at this point. First I had a bunch of deadlines, and then he ended up going away on vacation (and is still away). Via text, which means nothing, we have really hit it off. We're set to hang out the day after he gets back.

I'm excited to meet this guy, but I'm curious if the peanut gallery here thinks we may have dragged things out too long. We haven't really engaged in any texting "marathons," just short, friendly conversations that usually make me laugh out loud.

This just isn't how I normally operate (extended texting, no meeting), so I'm kind of feeling uncertain. Plus, it doesn't help that this is the first guy I actually have felt excited about in a long time.
Why all this texting and no actual talking on the phone?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I don't think time is the kiss of death, just that it gives the both you more time to meet and like someone else in the meantime.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I do prefer talking over texting, but I think it's been a few years since a guy has actually made an effort to call me (even after the initial meeting), and the last guy who did ended up being married anyway. lol
I wouldn't be leaving it up to him. If a guy never answered the phone or refused to return calls..I would certainly not bother with him.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
It's not the kiss of death by any means. Just two busy schedules trying to sync up. The distance would be a harder hurdle if you hit it off. Distance is rough when there's a serious connection.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
I can see how talking on the phone in this situation might not make sense. OP said he's on vacation which was planned before she entered the picture. She didn't say where he is or what type of vacation it is. It may not be feasible for him to talk on the phone and he's texting when he can.

I'm sorry, but if I'm on vacation, my focus is going to be on getting the best out of my trip, not someone from an OLD site I've never met who for all I know could be wining and dining a different woman every night while I'm gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships