Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:20 AM

130 posts, read 524,593 times

Advertisements

plain and simple, it depends how the relationship ended.

obviously, if he/she was cheating on you (with the "now" new spouse) and after a long divorce u are paying child support and he/she got the house/car/dog/kids and half "your" savings and retirement, what do u think? (hell no!) or.......conversely, if the relationship ended amicably, then sure u can still be friends . im just not sure how much the new spouse u "might" have will like for u to have a continuing relationship with your ex, that is the real question?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
What do you think about the person who took your place? The person who married (or is serious) with your ex husband or wife. Could you be friends if the chemistry was there? Or do you hate them because of your situation?

My sister in law is divorced but has traveled with the kids with her ex husband and the new wife. Basically the kids have two sets of parents now so they are interacting all the time, so have decided to be friends. Is this crazy or mature and logical?
I think this is great - I'd vote for "mature" unless there is additional information that would tilt it to the crazy side. but in principle, mature, very good, all other things being equal.

Again, I think it depends in part on the nature of the break-up. If it was very one-sided and someone was left devastated, then you can't do this. If there was abuse, you wouldn't want to. But if things just didn't work out, this works for me.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
What do you think about the person who took your place? The person who married (or is serious) with your ex husband or wife. Could you be friends if the chemistry was there? Or do you hate them because of your situation?

My sister in law is divorced but has traveled with the kids with her ex husband and the new wife. Basically the kids have two sets of parents now so they are interacting all the time, so have decided to be friends. Is this crazy or mature and logical?
And what would the reason for this be?! I can see the need to be civil if children are involved, but friends... Are people getting extinct or something?! Sounds like some sort of masochism to me.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:45 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
I think it really depends on your situation. I don't plan to have contact with my ex in the future, but as we don't have children further contact is not necessary.

My BF is hopeful that his divorce will be finalized this week. Right now his relationship with his x2b can only be described as "stormy". She has never met me and doesn't know I exist but will know soon enough. I am bracing myself to be hated, loathed, and despised by her. It's not like she wants to stay married to my BF and there's no love there, but she just seems like the kind of person to hate anyone attached to my BF. I don't want to be friends with her because I think it would be awkward and weird for my BF but I do plan to be civil and polite to her. If she tries to start a fight with me, I will immediately terminate any conversation and hang up/walk away.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
Actually my ex husband, his new wife and I are very good friends. I do believe in keeping it civil not only for the kids sake, but for the sake of a peace of mind. My ex when visiting his kids from out of town will stay by my place in my son's room and his wife and I call each other all the time to wish each other happy birthday, mother's day etc... I've always prayed that my ex would marry someone whom I can be friends with because it is healthier for the children and I do believe that God has answered my prayers. She is a lovely person and we crack jokes at him sometimes, lovingly that is. I wouldn't change that relationship for nothing and prays that he and his wife remain married till death do them part. So to answer your question, yes I do believe that ex's, their new partners can be friends with the other ex.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 PM

67 posts, read 181,843 times
Quote:
My sister in law is divorced but has traveled with the kids with her ex husband and the new wife. Basically the kids have two sets of parents now
That's very nice. When I married my husband, I had this illusion about befriending his ex with whom he has two kids. Well, she didn't give me a chance. She resents me as her "replacement", is afraid that her kids might like me, and is bitter that I'm close to his relatives. I wish that all women would grow up from this high school mentality of "I hate everybody who dates my ex-boyfriend".

Old 10-04-2008, 05:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:

No one can take your place. You are as different and original as the new person is different and original. Make your peace and go on with your life, and be as good a person as you can be to be a role model to your kids.

You mentioned kids.

That's why I said it that way.

Otherwise, make your peace and just move on with your life.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Quote:

I smiled when I saw this topic. my ex and I have been divorced for years, we have 3 grown children and grandchildren. I remarried and we have been married for 30 years and my Ex has been married four times. He married an old friend of ours and her ex husband was a close friend of my Ex, and they were our Matron of honor and Best man at our wedding. I don't think he could have made a better choice with the last one and they both seem very happy. We have on several occasions together, when the kids got married, etc.
We don't talk all the time, but we have remained friends and I think it has benefited our children.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Sorry all! This isn't a bad topic (or thread) but the OP is no longer a member so it is pointless to "answer" him/her.

Someone else could start a new thread though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships