Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is. If the person was attractive to you so you clicked on the picture,
First off people have various reasons to request an age range and it's not for you to decide for them if it's ok or not. You state your age honestly and if they have a problem with it then too bad, if they accept it then great. There is no need to lie or fudge this...EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I understand that. But if the company calls you that, it is an official title. That is what you put on the resume. The duties would be same, that is what would get the interview.

It is a problem though when your official title is "receptionist" and you lie on the resume. That is never acceptable and grounds for dismissal.

Sure, as I mentioned before. My current GF and I met in real life. We looked re-activated and looked at each other's OKC profiles. She fell outside of my age range (too young by a year) in my searches. We would never have met online, unless she messaged me first. I'd say half of the women that messaged me on OKC were outside of my preferred range.

That is one of the difference between real life and OLD. It is what it is, but lying to game the system is not acceptable. It is dishonest.

It is one of many reasons not to rely on either forum exclusively.
But what is she really gaining by this, other than hoping to appeal to more men in her efforts to meet a special someone? Those that find out she 40 when she appears in the 30-39 range and don't like it, won't bother with her. Her dishonesty in an OLD search engine isn't hurting you.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
How do you know a woman is post menopausal? I know a woman in her 50's who just had a baby and another who went through menopause very early (late 20's). Yet so many would think the younger is more fertile. .
I've known women who had kids in their early 50's, and a woman who went through menopause at 60. One of the ones who had a kid at 51 had a 30-something husband, and looked astonishingly young. She looked like a college student. (Her hubby thought she was in her 20's when they first started dating.)

You really can't judge a book by its cover.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
But what is she really gaining by this, other than hoping to appeal to more men in her efforts to meet a special someone? Those that find out she 40 when she appears in the 30-39 range and don't like it, won't bother with her. Her dishonesty in an OLD search engine isn't hurting you.
The problem is that people are using a search engine and expect to get results appropriate to their query. If everyone misrepresented themselves then the system would not function as intended because people are essentially being dishonest. If this is a paid website then it's misrepresentation that causes innocent people to lose value in what they have invested in (namely their membership)

Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not lying if in the first sentence you tell your real age. I don't do this, btw, but I wouldn't call someone manipulative for doing it.

I don't understand what the big deal is. If the person was attractive to you so you clicked on the picture, would she suddenly be unattractive if she was 50 and not 49? You can say it's the "lying" that would make her unattractive, but you'd never have seen her profile otherwise, and there are other men who would be more understanding of it and even glad she did it because they do find her attractive.

What if you make $49,500.00 a year, but you check the $50,000 box rather than $25-50,000, does that make you a liar as well?
Yes, it does. Using borderline examples doesn't justify it. So like I said in a previous post, where does one draw the line? And that line could easily be misinterpreted. The one that can't is, "is it true or not". And in the case of the 41 year old vs the 40 year old, the 5'11" vs the 6'0", the 49.5k vs the 50k....it's not true. It is, in fact, a lie.

It's up to the person to determine whether or not that lie is ok. It seems that many people here do.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The problem is that people are using a search engine and expect to get results appropriate to their query. If everyone misrepresented themselves then the system would not function as intended because people are essentially being dishonest. If this is a paid website then it's misrepresentation that causes innocent people to lose value in what they have invested in (namely their membership)
Also an interesting point (the monetary factor).

Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
And that's the same problem that people have with paid memberships on sites. It's not only that the members misrepresent themselves, but also the sites recast profiles that are active that haven't been active in months. It's a way to get get money out of an unsuspecting user. I didn't realize that the first time that I signed up, but once my subscription ended I continued to get emails. I was always being matched with someone that hadn't signed in in over a month. Granted, for verbiage purposes they are still active users, but in my experience online dating is all the same. You are heavily active till you meet someone and then you wash, rinse, repeat. To me, an active user is not the person who signs on every 4-6 weeks. An active user is someone who at least signs on weekly.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
I have come across this a few times. A woman will list her age a few years younger on her profile and then state on her profile her true age with the statement "I'm actually X+5 but I listed X so that I show up in the searches"

Do you think this sort of bait and switch is acceptable? This same woman then goes on to say how important morals and values are to her. Does values including what I would consider essentially lying?
Is it stealing when I take a mint from a giant bowl of mints at a restaurant while paying for my food? There is no sign that says 'Free, take one' So I take not one, but TWO! There is no limit, it doesn't say? Should I ask before I put it in my mouth or during?

"Sss okaee ta take une?"

"My morals are all wrong. Handcuff me officer! Oh and I lied about my age an online dating site too. Taze me! TAZE ME NOW!"

Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've known women who had kids in their early 50's, and a woman who went through menopause at 60. One of the ones who had a kid at 51 had a 30-something husband, and looked astonishingly young. She looked like a college student. (Her hubby thought she was in her 20's when they first started dating.)

You really can't judge a book by its cover.
Exactly, which is why I don't get this mentality some men have about age. Being young doesn't mean she's more fertile or even prettier. I know some women in their 60s who get hit on all the time, like my mom.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Exactly, which is why I don't get this mentality some men have about age. Being young doesn't mean she's more fertile or even prettier. I know some women in their 60s who get hit on all the time, like my mom.
I don't get this mentality some women have about height. Being tall doesn't mean a man is somehow better at anything really. I know plenty of short men who are incredibly accomplished and good looking and get hit on all the time so why do women filter based on height? eh?

This argument works both ways LOL!

Women here seem to be making an argument that if a woman fudges her age then "oh poor thing, she has to do it because men are so vile and superficial that they discriminate against her, it's the man's fault, she has no choice"... if a man does the same thing and lies about height or income then the women come out in full force with contemptuous remarks about how characterless he is, how aweful and how incredibly deceitful, poor poor woman who has to be subject to this abuse by men The whole feminist thing is totally out of control.

If we want equality of the sexes then let's realize that women who do this are liars who are being deceitful towards men as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships