Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 3,777 times

Advertisements

From a psychological standpoint, I would most say it's intimidation. The male psyche is usually driven with the ideal that they are the provider. If you already have what they want to provide for you, then it can become competitive. It's okay to be strong and independent but men want to know that they are still needed and that they play a vital role. It's not wrong to show vulnerability. Don't lay all your cards on the table right away. Really focus on the personality first. And if all else fails, try a different dating pool, maybe your current prospects are just not on your level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
I agree with you bebe, but not from an anxiety standpoint. The process of continuously meeting strangers does get a little old after a while. I also agree that I enjoy being able to support myself being single, but I don't always love it or enjoy it. I tolerate it, because I don't have another choice.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I don't, I find it very anxiety ridden.

I think you just found the answer to your problem, bebe. People sense that and for many, it's a turn off. You sound like a smart young lady who has got it together but it's the anxiety that may be off-putting.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
I don't, I find it very anxiety ridden.

Well that's the problem. If you don't have fun, do you think your date will? No. And if they don't have fun, why would they want a second date?

Pretty obvious.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM

545 posts, read 632,213 times
Quote:
... In the past year I have just started to accept the fact that I might be alone for the rest of my life it scares me a bit because I have a very small family who I'm not particularly close to, and have no brothers or sisters.
despite how unfair it is and seemingly unrelated, to my understanding having little or no good family backing is simply going to outcast you. Normal people will make it your burden to compensate for them because they already have a huge pool of other normal people they can relate to and connect to easily.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Take a break from dating.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvernightDelivery View Post
despite how unfair it is and seemingly unrelated, to my understanding having little or no good family backing is simply going to outcast you. Normal people will make it your burden to compensate for them because they already have a huge pool of other normal people they can relate to and connect to easily.
I would think this would only matter if the person you're dating has a lot of family very nearby. The more the family is spread out I would imagine the less this matters.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvernightDelivery View Post
I don't think coming from a small family presents a problem in dating, nor do I think it constitutes being not "normal". If I misunderstood what you are saying, please correct me.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Take a break from dating.

I am not a serial dater, and believe me I have taken more than enough breaks! lol

I don't think a break is the answer for me, unfortunately.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
I am not a serial dater, and believe me I have taken more than enough breaks! lol

I don't think a break is the answer for me, unfortunately.
You seem to be frustrated and also at a loss. A break can be time to regain a positive attitude about it and think things over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships