Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
How do you live with someone and not combine finances? You both weren't paying rent and bills? Not all married people have joint bank accounts. Also, many married couples also split finances down the middle if they both work.

So when you lived with a man, only one person paid all the bills, paid the rent, bought all the food, etc? Only one name was on the lease? You lived together but simply because you didn't walk down the aisle you aren't combining finances? Please elaborate on how two people share a domicile but do not combine finances in order to share in the maintenance of it.
We both paid our bills but the house was in his friend's name and he was the one renting it. I gave him money to pay bills but he made far more than me (I was 22, he was 26 when we moved in). We generally bought our own food, though he bought food for me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 03:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
How do you live with someone and not combine finances? You both weren't paying rent and bills? Not all married people have joint bank accounts. Also, many married couples also split finances down the middle if they both work.

So when you lived with a man, only one person paid all the bills, paid the rent, bought all the food, etc? Only one name was on the lease? You lived together but simply because you didn't walk down the aisle you aren't combining finances? Please elaborate on how two people share a domicile but do not combine finances in order to share in the maintenance of it.
Normally what people do is split the bills and have separate bank accounts.

Single-income couples are extremely rare unless one of them is a full time parent.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
We both paid our bills but the house was in his friend's name and he was the one renting it. I gave him money to pay bills but he made far more than me (I was 22, he was 26 when we moved in). We generally bought our own food, though he bought food for me as well.
I meant he was 36. But yeah he made more money so he paid most of the bills. Eventually I started to make more than him but by then we were splitting up because he was an emotionally abusive jerk.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:40 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You should say you are divorced if you are divorced.
if you have been married and it ended up in a divorce, you are divorced, not single. if you say you are single, you are hiding something about your past. back in the 70-80s, divorce still had some stigma, now is more common, as we all know, 50% of marriages end up in divorce.

also, as a middle aged divorced bachelor (that's what i like to use), i take and accept the word "divorced" as a mark of emotional and relationship experience. and i also think there is a stigma for men over 40 and still single (never married), so i want to distance my self from that too.

divorced men are apparently a catch from i hear these days, at least according to the millionaire matchmaker:

Divorced men: A girl's best kept secret | PattiKnows | Patti Stanger

Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Divorced.

Divorced means was married. It does not matter whether the marriage ended last month or 20 years ago. The point is you were married at some point. Time will never change that.

Single means was NEVER married.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 PM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
Tomato Tamahto- status available
Can we be even more specific and go with "emotionally available"? That one works for me.

Sorry, but the definition of single in relationship speak is " not currently in a relationship with a significant other".

Single means alone. I am single, have been for a long, long time.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
if you have been married and it ended up in a divorce, you are divorced, not single. if you say you are single, you are hiding something about your past. back in the 70-80s, divorce still had some stigma, now is more common, as we all know, 50% of marriages end up in divorce.

also, as a middle aged divorced bachelor (that's what i like to use), i take and accept the word "divorced" as a mark of emotional and relationship experience. and i also think there is a stigma for men over 40 and still single (never married), so i want to distance my self from that too.

divorced men are apparently a catch from i hear these days, at least according to the millionaire matchmaker:

Divorced men: A girl's best kept secret | PattiKnows | Patti Stanger
I hate that stigma. I dated a divorced guy (no kids)who was a jerk so I don't look at a divorced guy as a better choice. In fact for me it's worse because I want to experience marriage with someone who never did. I think divorced dads though really are a poor choice for never married women. I really am tired of that myth that divorced men are more committed. What if he is divorced because he cheated? that is the case often.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
i would say divorce because being single implies that you never been married. If you do tell someone that you're single, I think it's only fair to disclose that you were previously married.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:01 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
sin·gle
ˈsiNGgəl/Submit
adjective
only one; not one of several.
"a single red rose"
synonyms: one (only), sole, lone, solitary, by itself/oneself, unaccompanied, alone
"a single red rose"
antonyms: double
regarded separately or as distinct from each other or others in a group.
"she wrote down every single word"
synonyms: individual, separate, distinct, particular, last
"she wrote down every single word"
even one (used for emphasis).
"they didn't receive a single reply"
designed or suitable for one person.
"a single bed"
archaic
not accompanied or supported by others; alone.
2. unmarried or not involved in a stable sexual relationship.
"a single mother"
synonyms: unmarried, unwed, unwedded, unattached, free, a bachelor, a spinster;
partnerless, husbandless, wifeless; separated, divorced, widowed; informal solo
"is she single?"
Quote:
1sin·gle adjective \ˈsiŋ-gəl\
: not having or including another : only one

: not married or not having a serious romantic relationship with someone
Quote:

Single person
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In legal definitions for interpersonal status, a single person is someone who is not in a relationship or is "unmarried". In common usage, the term single is often used to refer to someone who is not involved in any type of serious romantic relationship, including long-term dating, engagement, or marriage. Both single and unmarried people may participate in dating rituals and other activities to find a long-term partner or spouse. However, in some cases single people are not interested in marriage, domestic partnership, or other types of formal, committed relationships.

People may remain single for a variety of reasons, including financial and emotional or physical health issues, stress in the family, time constraints, education, career, personal preferences, advanced age or social fears, and living in a society or locality where there are an insufficient number of people of the preferred sex for romantic or sexual attraction.[1][2]

Certain careers and positions require that people remain single. Sometimes, this is coupled with celibacy or chastity, either for secular or for religious reasons, such as priests, nuns and monks in certain faiths. Loneliness can occur for some people who look for but cannot find anyone they might wish to date, especially for those suffering the loss of companionship following divorce or bereavement. Some single people, however, regard and appreciate solitude as an opportunity.

In some countries, particular laws may directly or indirectly disadvantage single persons. In the United States, for example, Social Security widow(er) benefits are only available to those persons who have been previously married.
Quote:
Unmarried or not involved in a stable sexual relationship
Quote:
sin·gle (snggl)
adj.

a. Unmarried.
b. Lacking a partner: a single parent.
c. Relating to the unmarried state: enjoys the single life.
d. Of or relating to celibacy.
8. Botany Having only one rank or row of petals: a single flower.
n.
1. One that is separate and individual.
2. An accommodation for one person, as in a hotel.
a. An unmarried person.
b. singles Unmarried persons considered as a group: a bar for singles.
So, according to all of these definitions of "single," along with countless others that I didn't post, someone who is single is someone who is not in a relationship, period. According to the various definition sources, "single" also applies to people who are divorced, separated and widowed. In NOT ONE definition description is the condition added that being single applies only to those who have never been married.

With that being said, since the definition of "single" applies to ANYONE who is unmarried or not in a relationship and does not specify never-married individuals, where did the idea come from that "single" only applies to never-married people and divorced people should wear the scarlet D for the rest of their lives? Someone who is no longer married is now single.

Could this be a societal innovation to stigmatize one group over the other?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
So, according to all of these definitions of "single," along with countless others that I didn't post, someone who is single is someone who is not in a relationship, period. According to the various definition sources, "single" also applies to people who are divorced, separated and widowed. In NOT ONE definition description is the condition added that being single applies only to those who have never been married.

With that being said, since the definition of "single" applies to ANYONE who is unmarried or not in a relationship and does not specify never-married individuals, where did the idea come from that "single" only applies to never-married people and divorced people should wear the scarlet D for the rest of their lives? Someone who is no longer married is now single.

Could this be a societal innovation to stigmatize one group over the other?
Great post, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships