Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. The same for not-so-hot women. There's kindness behind that not-so-hot exterior.
You're preaching to the choir, Ruth. I'm not one who discriminates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Yeah, that's what they all say and want to believe. Men are men based on my experiences. Finding a decent not-so-hot guy is just as hard as finding a decent hot guy. So since I have to put in the same amount of work, I may as well keep looking for the decent hot guy.
Well, fair enough, I guess, but I sense quite a bit of hostility/issues here. Maybe your problems are your problems?
Quote:
How often do men pass up decent women regardless of looks? All the time!

I've known many guys who are not-so-hot, who know they aren't all that but still think they deserve a ten. I had a guy friend tell me that he knows he's not attractive and yet he hopes to find a gorgeous woman who accepts him for him, while telling me in the same breath that I should forgo looks. I asked him why is it ok for him to care about looks but no ok for me. At first he couldn't come up with an answer. Then he said that women generally don't care about looks. REALLY?!
You're making excuses. Again, fair enough. My experience is that guys who know they are not attractive aren't stupid enough to expect tens or anyone extremely attractive. If they end up with someone like that cool, but they're not expecting it.

Quote:
He had wanted to date me at one point but I wasn't feeling him like that. We became best friends and were friends for many years. He still used to suggest that we should get together. Years into our friendship, he turned out to be a horrible person and I had to cut him off cold turkey. What would I have gotten myself into if I overlooked what he looks like and dated him? I still would've ended up with a jerk that I had to get away from. So there I would've been, in a bad relationship with a guy who I wasn't attracted to but gave a chance to anyway.

The same men who tell women to forgo looks care about looks and only want to date hot women themselves. These things are only told to women for the benefit of men.
My dear......you need help.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
For the extremely rare woman that does not get what she wants in dating, yes, she should compromise on at least one of her requirements (ie: consider a guy that's under 6 feet or one that doesn't look like a model).
Why are you assuming that women who don't get what they want, or anything at all, for that matter, have those requirements? Most women would be happy to be approached by an average guy who's a good guy, and smart and caring.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you assuming that women who don't get what they want, or anything at all, for that matter, have those requirements? Most women would be happy to be approached by an average guy who's a good guy, and smart and caring.
Not certain posters on this thread, obviously....

Old 08-24-2014, 12:25 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Well, fair enough, I guess, but I sense quite a bit of hostility/issues here. Maybe your problems are your problems?

You're making excuses. Again, fair enough. My experience is that guys who know they are not attractive aren't stupid enough to expect tens or anyone extremely attractive. If they end up with someone like that cool, but they're not expecting it.

My dear......you need help.

I need help because what exactly? What's with the personal attacks?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I need help because what exactly? What's with the personal attacks?
I'm not attacking you in the least. I am pointing out that no matter what anyone says, you continue to gender-bash men. Those who bash an entire gender due to their bad experiences with said gender tend to need help.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:55 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm not attacking you in the least. I am pointing out that no matter what anyone says, you continue to gender-bash men. Those who bash an entire gender due to their bad experiences with said gender tend to need help.
I don't gender bash men at all. But there is a double-standard. When being called "too picky" it is usually women who are told this.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
I don't gender bash men at all. But there is a double-standard. When being called "too picky" it is usually women who are told this.
Agreed. Like a guy here a while ago. Forget the user. I assume it was a guy, stating if I was attracting bums, and thugs, then that's what I need to date because it's what I can get.

So, his advice is, settle because it's easier, and if you don't, then you're too picky, or have unrealistic expectations.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
And let's define "picky." What does it mean to not be picky? Does not being picky mean that a person should give a chance to anyone who seeks their attention? Is it being too picky because you simply aren't attracted to someone? And when I say not attracted, I'm not referring to looks alone. You are not going to feel attraction or chemistry for a lot of people regardless of why they look like.

In the past, I had a guy tell me that while he found me physically attractive, he felt no chemistry with me. Chemistry is big for a lot of men and if they dont' feel that, they aren't going to choose a woman, no matter how nice and good-looking she is. I've come across men who are very good-looking whom I've also felt no chemistry with them.

There have been many times when I've been out and about where hobos have asked me for change and to go out with me in the same breath. Because I rejected those guys, does that make me picky? I used to work in a state government building where in the cafeteria, the workers were ex-cons in a half-way house. Those men would try to ask me out all the time. Because I turned them down, does that make me too picky?

People casually throw the term "too picky" around but where does one draw the line?
I was set up on a blind date with a guy on probation, no job (and he last job was something menial) and had several kids out of wedlock he wasn't supporting. I said no and was told I was too picky. Why would I want to date someone like this? I'd rather be single.

I agree, women are told to settle. I often get told I am picky but men aren't.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed. Like a guy here a while ago. Forget the user. I assume it was a guy, stating if I was attracting bums, and thugs, then that's what I need to date because it's what I can get.

So, his advice is, settle because it's easier, and if you don't, then you're too picky, or have unrealistic expectations.
I think most women get approached by bums and druggies from time to time. It doesn't mean women should be dating homeless guys and skid row alcoholics. It may mean they should be approaching the guys who are too inhibited to approach them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships