Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,684,682 times

Advertisements

A friend I have says that when a guy contacts you after you haven't spoken for a while and asks you this, that it's code for "Do you have a boyfriend?". lol Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
A friend I have says that when a guy contacts you after you haven't spoken for a while and asks you this, that it's code for "Do you have a boyfriend?". lol Is that true?

I believe it is code for "What's new with you"?

Over the years I have found it best to take a phrase at face value as it is presented until the time that it is shown that another meaning was intended.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:11 PM

61,915 posts, read 87,471,218 times
That decoding simple messages got really silly. In my opinion "What's new with you" means exactly that, and person is interested in ANY news in your life (new place to live, new job, new big purchases, vacation plans, new people in your life etc.)
There is really no need to over-analyze every word ...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:12 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,123,097 times
When I ask this question, I mean it just the way it is. If she's in a relationship, I'm sure it would come up in conversation, one way or another.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:12 PM

28 posts, read 28,802 times
No it means "What is new with you?" Men are simplistic creatures. I can't speak for all men but when it comes to the men in my life (boyfriends/friends/family/et cetera)? Subtlety is not their forte. When he says he likes you, it means he likes you. Not really likes you. Not "fake" likes you. Not "I want you to have my bebes" like you. We women have GOT. TO. STOP. OVER-ANALYZING. THINGS.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,009,350 times
If it is, it's dumb way to ask. How would you even fit a boyfriend into the answer to that question?

The relationship would have to be fairly new if this supposed friend didn't know about it. And a new relationship is not something I mention right off the bat to someone I'm not in regular contact with. It seems too personal.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:14 PM

52,350 posts, read 52,821,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNameHere24 View Post
No it means "What is new with you?" Men are simplistic creatures. I can't speak for all men but when it comes to the men in my life (boyfriends/friends/family/et cetera)? Subtly is not their forte. When he says he likes you, it means he likes you. Not really likes you. Not "fake" likes you. Not "I want you to have my bebes" like you. We women have GOT. TO. STOP. OVER-ANALYZING. THINGS.

A lot of men are simple hammer swingin apes.... most of the time the face value is the face value......

Old 08-23-2014, 05:19 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,202,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I believe it is code for "What's new with you"?

Over the years I have found it best to take a phrase at face value as it is presented until the time that it is shown that another meaning was intended.
I agree with this. I think it's why so many people are disappointed when it comes to romance, because they hype things up and read more into it than what was intended. Creating things in one's mind, then when they are proven wrong, it's a longer way to fall when this disillusion happens.

Like a guy who was FWB with a girl. He was extra sweet, liked her company, they hung out. She though he was being so nice because he had deeper feelings and wanted to date her. Needless to say she was disappointing big time when he got a girlfriend-and it wasn't her. He was being her friend-respectful and polite and they hung out. he loved her as a friend, with extra pleasure. But he had no interest in dating her.

So, "what's new with you" seems like typical small intro talk. I wouldn't read it as romance or sexual interest. And if he is interested in either of those, I expect him to be more clear. I hate codes and games.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:19 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
People really overanalyze even the most trivial things. "What's new with you" is a conversation starter.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,739,137 times
Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't.

Most guys I know just asks straight up if I am dating anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships