Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times

Advertisements

I just broke up with a woman who wants a traditional marriage, ie: man makes the money and she stays at home with the kids. If I were rich, I could do that. But I just recently got back on my feet and have a lot of catching up to do. If I married her, I'd work til I was dead because I'd have nothing saved for retirement. I'm really surprised women still have these expectations. Of course, I am now living in the Midwest. Maybe thats the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Did she have a job? Did she say she wanted to quit her job and have you support her?

Some people have a lot of nerve.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did she have a job? Did she say she wanted to quit her job and have you support her?

Pretty much. She hates what she does. She said she would work 2 days a week (she's a nurse, so she can). She has a child and wants another. Its just a huge risk for me after what I've been through personally (divorce) and professionally (the great recession). I can't take that kind of risk, only to have her possibly leave me in 10 years and take half of everything. She also isn't great with money, another huge risk.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Pretty much. She hates what she does. She said she would work 2 days a week (she's a nurse, so she can). She has a child and wants another. Its just a huge risk for me after what I've been through personally (divorce) and professionally (the great recession). I can't take that kind of risk, only to have her possibly leave me in 10 years and take half of everything. She also isn't great with money, another huge risk.
Major red flag. Reject.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
I just broke up with a woman who wants a traditional marriage, ie: man makes the money and she stays at home with the kids. If I were rich, I could do that. But I just recently got back on my feet and have a lot of catching up to do. If I married her, I'd work til I was dead because I'd have nothing saved for retirement. I'm really surprised women still have these expectations. Of course, I am now living in the Midwest. Maybe thats the issue.
What's so bad about a traditional marriage where the woman stayed at home with the kids..........

Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What's so bad about a traditional marriage where the woman stayed at home with the kids..........
He already listed the reasons.

I feel the same.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:

You'd be surprised.

Even some of the most ambitious women I know, deep down they dream of a man supporting them so they don't have to work. I'm talking about women I know who are doctors and own their own successful businesses.

I think most women if they could get into that situation or get close, they'd take that deal or try and make it happen.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
She's a nurse? Nurses make good money. And when they get seniority, they get dibs for the best shifts, like the weekend double-time-paying shifts. 2 days' work for 4 days' pay.

Still, it seems like you and she just aren't on the same page. She wants a child, you don't feel ready financially. She wants to manage a family at home, you can't afford it. You both need to move on, and you need to find the type who's into rolling up her sleeves and pitching in. You're not well matched, at all. Also, it sounds like she wants to be able to spend your money as well as hers. Really bad sign.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
She's a nurse? Nurses make good money. And when they get seniority, they get dibs for the best shifts, like the weekend double-time-paying shifts. 2 days' work for 4 days' pay.

Still, it seems like you and she just aren't on the same page. She wants a child, you don't feel ready financially. She wants to manage a family at home, you can't afford it. You both need to move on, and you need to find the type who's into rolling up her sleeves and pitching in. You're not well matched, at all. Also, it sounds like she wants to be able to spend your money as well as hers. Really bad sign.
Well said.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
You need a better fit and sad to say she wasn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships