Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM

898 posts, read 937,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You don't. I've had so many people complain to me that their entire contact list on gmail was accessed and automatically had invitations sent out.

Never happened to me, but I've heard it from many many unrelated people.
That sounds like a virus or some sort of setting they activated on their phone (to access your contacts and send invites) or something along those lines. There are a lot of folks who are really ignorant when it comes to using technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
That sounds like a virus or some sort of setting they activated on their phone (to access your contacts and send invites) or something along those lines. There are a lot of folks who are really ignorant when it comes to using technology.

Maybe. I suspected it is more likely an opt out thing, where you might have had to uncheck a box when trying to invite certain individuals, but the person didn't notice it. I've accidentally almost downloaded things (started to and cancelled them) when trying to download legit stuff and not seeing an opt out. S**t system.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 33,417 times
Thanks everyone, everything said sounds reasonable. I'm pretty sure she sent the request on her behalf and not on accident, she wouldn't have my email address saved in the one she used, so I feel it was deliberate. Maybe I want it to mean more than it is, but then again I'm irritated at the fact that someone has the power to ruin my day something with something as trivial as a LinkedIn request. I've moved on and feel to be a better person from it, but I'd like to get rid of this heavy feeling I still hold. I also don't feel like contacting her to ask because if it were an accident than I'll fee pretty embarrassed.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csolo22 View Post
Maybe I want it to mean more than it is, but then again I'm irritated at the fact that someone has the power to ruin my day something with something as trivial as a LinkedIn request.

Why are you giving someone that power?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
That's peculiar. This just happened to me recently. An ex of mine reached out to me on FB. Our relationship also ended pretty badly more than a year ago. She mentioned in her message to me that she was coming out to visit the city I live in to visit this guy she is seeing. Other than getting a chance to boast about seeing another guy, I don't really know what her intentions or motives could be. Maybe she wants to hook up and make up for all the lost time.
maybe.. that was the best part of our relationship. lol

Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why are you giving someone that power?
Not intentionally. I'm considered to be a pretty sound stable rational dude, but for instance.. last summer I walked in to target to get dog food with my buddy.. I walk in and see her and her friend, I stopped and blanked out.. had to look at my friend and ask what we needed there then turned around and walked out.. if it were a switch I could turn off, I would. Trust me.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 AM

There is nothing professionally related between her line of business and mine. Complete separate spectrums. Even if we did connect for professional reasons, none of my connections are remotely a fit. That's why it doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
I use LinkedIn and when I request to connect to someone, I am asked to select one of several ways in which I know them, i.e. Colleague, Friend, We've Done Business Together, etc. In some cases I am asked to enter the person's email address before I can request the connection. It may depend on how the person has his/her account set up. At one time you could mass-add from your contacts, I'm not sure that is still the case.

Anyway it sucks, but it's best to let it go. I have been there. A little over 3 years ago, my ex-boyfriend finally joined Facebook and sent me a friend request. At the time, we hadn't had any contact for over 3 years at my request (permanent no contact). In my case, I messaged him so he would know I wasn't ignoring him, and i reminded him that I wanted no contact. He replied back apologizing.

It was a temporary setback and it bothered me, but I got past it.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Yup, it most certainly does suck. You are right, thank you. Move on as I have been, and hurdle over any obstacles such as this, on the way.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csolo22 View Post
Thanks everyone, everything said sounds reasonable. I'm pretty sure she sent the request on her behalf and not on accident, she wouldn't have my email address saved in the one she used, so I feel it was deliberate. Maybe I want it to mean more than it is, but then again I'm irritated at the fact that someone has the power to ruin my day something with something as trivial as a LinkedIn request. I've moved on and feel to be a better person from it, but I'd like to get rid of this heavy feeling I still hold. I also don't feel like contacting her to ask because if it were an accident than I'll fee pretty embarrassed.
YOUR messages and what you read are in YOUR CONTROL and that control only belongs to someone else if you give it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships