Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I wonder what my Mazda 3 says about me.
College student or recent college grad ... especially if it's dirty, beat up, or trashy inside the car.
Practical, but has a fun, spirited side noone knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 AM

177 posts, read 365,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I do think there is a lot that you can tell about someone by their car, but it needs to be in the context of other things.

But when I see a guy in an expensive sports car, I assume we will not be compatible. It's just not how I would choose to allocate my assets. It's not even a reflection of character in my eyes, it's just an issue of compatibility. There is no set of circumstances where i would consider a Porsche or a Lamborghini or whatever to be a viable purchase, so I have a hard time seeing someone who DOES consider that a reasonable choice as someone who would be a compatible romantic partner. They could very well be a good friend or something, but not someone who I would want to build my life with. I'm not saying I'd slam the door on any romantic possibilities, but my expectations would be very low.
So true. Right now I cannot fathom ever having money like that to spend on a car and even if I did, there are so may other things I'd rather spend it on.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Rightly or wrongly, I think the car you drive makes just as much an impression as the clothes you wear.
Maybe, but I don't care at all about making an impression with my car. I just wanted something safe, reliable, and affordable so I drive a very boring Toyota, and will probably get the same make and model the next time I buy a new car.

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Well you know the old saying "Never Judge A Book By Its Cover"
The funny thing is, most of my friends where I live now all do fairly well and make good money. And yet, they usually drive older economy cars. My one good friend, who's a BA for a large MNC drives a 2005 Corolla that he bought right after college. It's been hit a few times, and he's used the insurance money to buy things like furniture for his new house. So, at a glimpse, one might assume he's not that well off when he is actually doing pretty good for himself (plus he's married, so he's a DINK on top of it)

The saying with Colorado residents is that the bike on their roof rack is often worth more than the car it's attached to. Which is line with the idea that a lot of people here allocate their budgets towards outdoorsy activities as opposed to those material items that diminish in value. My bike had a MSRP of $1600 when I bought it brand new, which is actually nothing compared to the higher end road and mountain bikes that can go up to $10k or more. This probably explains why I get more looks when I ride my bike than when I drive my car.

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I have a BMW with msrp over 100K and a 97 ford F150 with rust and 180k miles. Where do I fit into this haha

10-yo 7-series BMW's depreciate like a rock .... you're probably a schizophrenic tightwad.
I give free car "readings".

Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
The funny thing is, most of my friends where I live now all do fairly well and make good money. And yet, they usually drive older economy cars. My one good friend, who's a BA for a large MNC drives a 2005 Corolla that he bought right after college.

The saying with Colorado residents is that the bike on their roof rack is often worth more than the car it's attached to. Which is line with the idea that a lot of people here allocate their budgets towards outdoorsy activities as opposed to those material items that diminish in value.

Smart people.

The 300k+ CFO of a place I worked at some time ago drove a old Honda Civic. Smart and practical man.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
College student or recent college grad ... especially if it's dirty, beat up, or trashy inside the car.
Practical, but has a fun, spirited side noone knows.
I've been told it's like an economy BMW 3 series, though I wouldn't know since I've never driven a BMW 3 series. I love it though!

BTW, I've been out of college for six years. This was the first car I purchased after college. I don't plan on buying a new one for a few years.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post
So true. Right now I cannot fathom ever having money like that to spend on a car and even if I did, there are so may other things I'd rather spend it on.
The next new car I want to purchase is the new Tesla Model 3 with an introductory price point of around $35k. I'll have to do a lot of saving for it, but it doesn't come out for a couple years I think.

From a realistic standpoint, I'll probably just end up getting a used luxury car for around $20k or less once the Mazda dies.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
My 15-year-old Ranger (bought used a few years ago) just got replaced by a 2011 Subaru Forester. I call the Forester my "grown-up" car. Not that the previous series of pickup trucks were silly toys, but they represented a different set of needs.

The trucks were for the years when I was moving between rental properties, doing side jobs for my father, selling things at flea markets, and generally needed a vehicle that would aid my independence.

The Subaru is reliable, efficient, practical vehicle for the life i have now. The hatchback and fold-down seats give me enough cargo space on the rare occasions I need it. The AWD will get me where I need to go in winter. The fuel efficiency and my lack of a commute mean I will spend very little on gas.

But oh jeez, I did love driving around in a pickup for the past 15 years or so. It just was no longer the optimal vehicle for me.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Forester's are great. My brother and GF have them and love them.

I'm thinking Honda Fit for my next car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships