Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 AM

177 posts, read 365,143 times

Advertisements

I was driving to work today and was next to a Lamborghini. My first thought is not "Oooh--look at that car and the guy driving it!". I get totally turned off by guys who have a showy car. I just don't like that "look at me" type personality. Anyone else feel the same?

I guess I'm just not a showy person and don't want a guy who is either. I suppose if I was extremely wealthy and had money to burn I might feel differently though--ha!

I'm just wondering if other women feel the same--turned off by a guy in a flashy/showy car. I'd rather date a guy in a muddy pickup truck that can tow a camper or carry a kayak, than a guy that is worried his car will get dirty. But maybe it's just the type of guy I like most likely wouldn't drive that type of car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,460 times
Stereotype much? Corvette driver here and the last thing I'm looking for is attention. I love the looks of the car, the speed and handling and I am way too old to give a crap about picking up chicks in it. I get it, you prefer rednecks in pickups but you do realize his choice of vehicle could cost every bit as much as that sports car you're bashing? To base your choice in men on the type of cars they drive seems pretty shallow.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post
I was driving to work today and was next to a Lamborghini. My first thought is not "Oooh--look at that car and the guy driving it!". I get totally turned off by guys who have a showy car. I just don't like that "look at me" type personality. Anyone else feel the same?

I guess I'm just not a showy person and don't want a guy who is either. I suppose if I was extremely wealthy and had money to burn I might feel differently though--ha!

I'm just wondering if other women feel the same--turned off by a guy in a flashy/showy car. I'd rather date a guy in a muddy pickup truck that can tow a camper or carry a kayak, than a guy that is worried his car will get dirty. But maybe it's just the type of guy I like most likely wouldn't drive that type of car.

It is unfortunate you judge one by the vehicle he drives and don't wait until you have actually met the man to see what he is really like.

How do you know that vehicle was not a gift from his rich Uncle?
How do you know he isn't part of the family that owns that company?

One does not have to be extremely wealthy to have a very expensive vehicle and he could be leasing it, it could already be paid for, it could be a friend or relatives vehicle.

Just because one has a muddy pick up truck does not mean he is proficient at towing anything, setting up a campsite or getting into a Kayak without dumping it over.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Stereotype much? Corvette driver here and the last thing I'm looking for is attention. I love the looks of the car, the speed and handling and I am way too old to give a crap about picking up chicks in it. I get it, you prefer rednecks in pickups but you do realize his choice of vehicle could cost every bit as much as that sports car you're bashing? To base your choice in men on the type of cars they drive seems pretty shallow.
Nicely said.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
They say, "you are what you drive" - especially here in So Cal - and anyone who thinks my identity is synonymous with my car is a fool who is of no interest to me. I drive a hooptie - who cares? If you do, then I want nothing to do with you. You can drive a Lamborghini, or a Brady Bunch station wagon, or a moped, or a Miata, or a 2 ton SUV. Who you are as a person has nothing to do with any of that.

What an odd way to decide how a person is - based on the car they are driving. Time to blow a mind - what if the guy driving the Lamborghini also has that mud caked pickup with kayaks and camping gear parked in his driveway at home? You just blew him off because you saw him driving...a friend's car/a date car/any number of other explanations.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 AM

I suppose I am stereotyping a bit but I was leaning more towards the belief that guys think all women want a guy with a car like that and my point was just that it is not true.

Mea culpa--thanks for your replies. You gave me something to think about!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nicely said.
Except for the part where HE stereotypes people who drive pick-ups as "rednecks."

Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Except for the part where HE stereotypes people who drive pick-ups as "rednecks."

Ha--I didn't pick up on that! :-)

Old 08-28-2014, 07:37 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post

I agree. I went out a few times with a guy who had a red Mercedes convertible and it made me uncomfortable. I don't want people thinking I'm a golddigger. Also, he had two Mercedes so I thought it was extravagant. I would prefer a guy just drive something sensible and reliable.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:37 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
I drive both a sports car and a dirty ass old Chevy
What's that make me?

A redneck with money?
A douchebag hick?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships